Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Ludicrous retro-fit not available for P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize if this topic has been addressed previously, but I would really like to know why Tesla is not offering the Ludicrous upgrade to P85 owners. It is either not technically possible or Tesla has chosen to not include the original P85 owners. While I am far from knowledgeable in this area, but is it not possible to to change the contactor in the P85 to the new ludicrous contactor? I see no obvious reason why not. This leaves me thinking that Tesla could offer this to P85 owners but has chosen not to. Can anyone illuminate this issue and whether there is a technical reason that prevents this upgrade for P85 owners.

Ludicrous Mode happened because the P85D is limited by the amount of current it can push through the contactors and fuses. Ludicrous Mode upgrades those to handle more current.

The P85 is likely not limited by the current capacity of the contactors and fuses, but by other factors like traction and inverter/motor power. Upgrading the contactors and fuses would therefore be possible, but wouldn't allow for any increase in performance.

Ludicrous Mode happened because the P85D is limited by the amount of current it can push through the contactors and fuses. Ludicrous Mode upgrades those to handle more current.

The P85 is likely not limited by the current capacity of the contactors and fuses, but by other factors like traction and inverter/motor power. Upgrading the contactors and fuses would therefore be possible, but wouldn't allow for any increase in performance.

Thanks for the input. In JB Straubel's blog about Dual Motor he states that "[FONT=HeiS ASC Simplified Chinese, HeiS ASC Simplified Chinese_n5, HelveticaNeue-Regular, Helvetica Neue Regular, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica]The shaft horsepower rating of the rear wheel drive single motor Model S is straightforward and roughly 360-470 hp depending on the variant (60, 85 or P85). Also, it is generally similar, but not the same, as the battery electrical "horsepower" output." The 'but not the same' suggests that there may be some benefit from changing to the ludicrous contactor. While the improvement may not be as large as with the P85D, it may still provide a performance improvement ([/FONT]I am less convinced that my P85 is limited because of traction, especially when I can improve traction with bigger tires).[FONT=HeiS ASC Simplified Chinese, HeiS ASC Simplified Chinese_n5, HelveticaNeue-Regular, Helvetica Neue Regular, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica][/FONT]

The 470 hp (350kW) from the P85 is nowhere near in need for the ludicrous fuse. 350 kW/360 V=972 A. Ludicrous fuse is 1500 A.
The interesting question is if the P85 can be upgraded with the ludicrous 503 hp software from the ludicrous rear DU. Would still need less than 1100 A.
It sounds like a no brainer for Tesla to sell a SW upgrade for a couple of grand or send it as goodwill. And why not?
Anybody has any clues?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but up to about 50km/h only then more power could be "useful"
at 70% SOC or less, the P85 is barely traction limited at any speed, with summer tires. More power would be nice :)

Improved Performance is delivered in 7.0 but only for RWD cars with autopilot hw that use a new revision Drive unit with a top speed of 140 mph. If the car did have the requirement the release note info did appear.

Just because P85 is traction limited doesn't mean Ludicrous has no value. Let me decide how much to spin my wheels! :cool:

not always. proper tires and/or on very sticky asphalt there is 0 wheel spin. On a still >100F fresh mat of asphalt with my stock 21" wheels I got no spin. also on very sticky chipseal with AS tires, no spin.
My RE71R's on some surfaces hook up 100% too (sure they would in the sticky road cases)

not completely traction limited

not always. proper tires and/or on very sticky asphalt there is 0 wheel spin. On a still >100F fresh mat of asphalt with my stock 21" wheels I got no spin. also on very sticky chipseal with AS tires, no spin.
My RE71R's on some surfaces hook up 100% too (sure they would in the sticky road cases)

not completely traction limited

You got the Ludicrous upgrade in your Classic P85 and launch with no wheel spin? That's what we're talking about here.