Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lost & found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was kinda surprised to learn that if someone comes along and presses the J1772 handle on a locked car, you can pull the whole assembly (J1772 and Tesla adapter) out of the car. I verified this on my own car at work with the key nowhere in sight. I always assumed the Tesla adapter stayed locked to the car, but it appears that when you press the switch on the handle, Tesla releases the locking pin in the charge port. Problem is, it almost immediately locks again, so you can't re-insert the adapter back in to the car if the car remains locked.

I was kinda surprised to learn that if someone comes along and presses the J1772 handle on a locked car, you can pull the whole assembly (J1772 and Tesla adapter) out of the car. I verified this on my own car at work with the key nowhere in sight. I always assumed the Tesla adapter stayed locked to the car, but it appears that when you press the switch on the handle, Tesla releases the locking pin in the charge port. Problem is, it almost immediately locks again, so you can't re-insert the adapter back in to the car if the car remains locked.
That's interesting, I don't think mine does that.
I charge at a chargepoint a few times a week and I'm certain my adapter is locked unless I go to the touch screen and hit UNLOCK CHARGEPORT.
I usually stop the charge on the chargepoint, put the handle back, get in the car and hit unlock chargeport and take out the adapter.

I will be using chargepoint tomorrow and will double check, hopefully I'm not wrong, otherwise it would suck if someone can just come up and steal my adapter

I will be using chargepoint tomorrow and will double check, hopefully I'm not wrong, otherwise it would suck if someone can just come up and steal my adapter

If there is enough friction holding the Tesla adapter in, it might be possible to pull the J1772 handle off of the adapter, so someone who doesn't know would just see the handle and Tesla adapter separate. But I usually put my left hand on the adapter and my right hand on the J1772 handle and pull the whole thing out as an assembly as I depress the button. Please do try it and let me know. If yours stays locked, I will have to ask Service about it. (And I have a March 2013 car with the non-automatic closing port, in case that matters).

If there is enough friction holding the Tesla adapter in, it might be possible to pull the J1772 handle off of the adapter, so someone who doesn't know would just see the handle and Tesla adapter separate. But I usually put my left hand on the adapter and my right hand on the J1772 handle and pull the whole thing out as an assembly as I depress the button. Please do try it and let me know. If yours stays locked, I will have to ask Service about it. (And I have a March 2013 car with the non-automatic closing port, in case that matters).

Mine stays locked. I specifically tested it three months back when I got the car. I can test again next week, but I used both hands and couldn't remove the adapter from the charge port.

I always push the button on the charging handle and pull it out. The adapter stays in the car and the light turns light blue. Then I remove the adapter and the port closes. I never push any unlock buttons it anything... It's perfectly convenient. I'll have to try it without the key in my pocket though. I'm assuming the adapter would stay in the car...

Happened to me once, drove back an hour late and lucky it is still there...

That stuff is expensive
I was thinking about that. To just leave it, it was actually laying against the wall. I think some J1772 Chargepoint user didn't know what the heck it was and just plopped it on the ground. I was thinking possibly someone would come back for it, but then I was thinking someone would take it and not try to find who the owner was, such a person who is not active on the Tesla Forums. I'll post on the Main Tesla forum as well, see if anyone there lost it.

On Monday I'll print up a sign saying if you have a Model-S and lost something to contact me around the charger area.

I personally hate losing things myself, makes you feel really bad and typically you have too much on your mind which causes you to be reluctant to pick up something small like this, especially after you have the charge and need to hit the road ASAP.

This is equivalent to forgeting your gas cap at a service station for an ICE car.

The cure for that for many manufacturers now is to tether the cap to the car.

It would be cool if Tesla had a pocket under the charge flap to hold the J adapter there if you are a frequent user, and may as well tether it to the car, like a gas cap is.

Mine stays locked. I specifically tested it three months back when I got the car. I can test again next week, but I used both hands and couldn't remove the adapter from the charge port.

Thanks for verifying. I will add it to my list for Tesla to check next time my car is in. Mine will unlock and come out even with the key nowhere in sight. Interestingly, my UMC and HPWC handles do stay locked when there is no key present. Just seems to be with the J1772 adapter.

Thanks for verifying. I will add it to my list for Tesla to check next time my car is in. Mine will unlock and come out even with the key nowhere in sight. Interestingly, my UMC and HPWC handles do stay locked when there is no key present. Just seems to be with the J1772 adapter.
When the car starts charging there's a click, adapter gets locked in.
Once I take the j1772 handle off the adapter the adapter will not come out unless I select UNLOCK CHARGEPORT from the screen, hit that and there's another click as it unlocks.
I verified it a few times

Mine works as you described earlier. Dec 2013 build, but charge port was replaced late 2014 under warranty.

I thought mine stayed locked too, I was wrong.

I also checked the document from MyTesla wrt public charging, and they show you to remove it. I believe mknox is correct.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment unplugging_model_s_from_a_j1772_public_charger.pdf <-- Step 4.

Also the end says if you screw up step 4, that "If the charging station handle separates from the adapter, Model S automatically locks the adapter in the charge port."

It's a swift motion, but yes, you can remove the adapter without the key.

I left my adapter at the ChargePoint station at the Stockton-Sutter garage in San Francisco on Friday. Stupid. I just forgot to take it out. I was across the bridge in Berkeley in heavy traffic so no way was I going back. I called the garage and they checked but didn't see it... I doubt that it made it all the way to San Jose.
BTW, that garage has lots of charging stations so is good if you're going to be in downtown SF.
It was an "extra" adapter that I keep in the car for traveling. I'll probably replace it.