Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road and Track puts a P85D on an ice track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great article! The author does have a way with words

So how, then, is the P85D the quickest car in the world? Easy. You can't compare electric cars directly with gasoline-powered cars in the real world. Test numbers apply only at the drag strip; when you're dealing with changing conditions, other cars, and pedestrians, numbers are meaningless. An electric car responds so differently that comparing it to a gas car is like staging a water-boiling race between a Bunsen burner and an M-80 dropped in a toilet.

My favorite quote:
When the light turns green, the P85D bursts forward with a violence you'd have to see to believe. It's already 20 mph over the speed limit by the time it crosses the intersection. The ordinary-looking four-door rips to 60 mph before it has traveled 200 feet, something few gas-burning automobiles can do, and in a way no gas-burning car has ever done: silently. Not a single pedestrian shoots a dirty look. No one grabs their children and runs. The cop eating a sandwich across the street doesn't turn around. Seeing may be believing, but hearing gets you noticed in the first place. And since no one notices the Tesla or its ludicrous acceleration, you can use all of its 691 hp with impunity from every stoplight. The P85D is the quickest car in the world.

Hands up who had to web search for what an M-80 is. :confused:

<raises hand>

But I have to agree, I don´t remember having read an article from someone with such a good sense for language, it is almost like listening to a top musician play a solo - especially wouldn´t have expected that from a car journalist ;). Not only that, but the write also did his homework with regards to technical details (like which front- and rear motors the P85D has and how they changed the weight distribution).

Tesla is pioneering nanny enforcement, with the D's mandatory TC. A V10 rear drive BMW, in snow?

"Then, I turn the steering wheel and the computer pulls the plug. Curses fly."

The most creative thing about this writing was what he left Tesla to read between the lines.

Last edited: