Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Sensors....upgrade...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've seen a couple of harnesses for about 100 bucks each on ebay.

Is this a DIY at all??....It doesn't sound to me that it's any more than remove the bumpers, plug and play, find the right spot to, look for the right connections, etc. I've done similar jobs on my past BMWs.

The retrofit is about $4000 at the shop. A pretty penny for JUST the parking assistance.

So, what do you guys think, or suggest??

So, I've seen a couple of harnesses for about 100 bucks each on ebay.

Is this a DIY at all??....It doesn't sound to me that it's any more than remove the bumpers, plug and play, find the right spot to, look for the right connections, etc. I've done similar jobs on my past BMWs.

The retrofit is about $4000 at the shop. A pretty penny for JUST the parking assistance.

So, what do you guys think, or suggest??
I think it's unlikely to work, because even if you find the connections and plug them in, they won't be active features on your car's configuration so the software won't see them.

I have installed parking sensors I got from amazon on cars before. It's definite a DIY level project. Not complicated but take a few hours and IS NOT for the fault of heart :). Remember, you'll need to drill the bumper of your car, although most of the kits come with special drill bits that do not require any measuring. Just stick long piece of paper tape across the bumper so the sensors end up on the same height.

The posters above are correct in that you won't see the sensors on the car screen BUT all of the kits come with small speakers that install in the trunk so they are out of the way and you'll hear the beeping as you get closer to an obstacle behind or in front of you AND most kits come with small screens that attach to your dashboard or to your windshield (I recommend the upper left corner of the windshield) and show things like the side the obstacle is on and even the distance to the obstacle.

A kit with everything mentioned above and 4 rear sensors (no front) cost me $40-50 on amazon. A kit with front and rear sensors will be a little more.

I haven't tried installing it on a Tesla but I imagine that the job would be even easier than on most other cars. It's a hatchback so easy to route and hide wires from the back and it has no engine in the front so VERY easy to route the wire from the front sensor.

If you need any help/advice, let me know.

It may be worth it getting a professional to do it for you but do be prepared to pay 10x the cost of the kit for each end of the car. Their prices are pretty high but they have lot more experience :)

I have installed parking sensors I got from amazon on cars before. It's definite a DIY level project. Not complicated but take a few hours and IS NOT for the fault of heart :). Remember, you'll need to drill the bumper of your car, although most of the kits come with special drill bits that do not require any measuring. Just stick long piece of paper tape across the bumper so the sensors end up on the same height.

The posters above are correct in that you won't see the sensors on the car screen BUT all of the kits come with small speakers that install in the trunk so they are out of the way and you'll hear the beeping as you get closer to an obstacle behind or in front of you AND most kits come with small screens that attach to your dashboard or to your windshield (I recommend the upper left corner of the windshield) and show things like the side the obstacle is on and even the distance to the obstacle.

A kit with everything mentioned above and 4 rear sensors (no front) cost me $40-50 on amazon. A kit with front and rear sensors will be a little more.

I haven't tried installing it on a Tesla but I imagine that the job would be even easier than on most other cars. It's a hatchback so easy to route and hide wires from the back and it has no engine in the front so VERY easy to route the wire from the front sensor.

If you need any help/advice, let me know.

It may be worth it getting a professional to do it for you but do be prepared to pay 10x the cost of the kit for each end of the car. Their prices are pretty high but they have lot more experience :)

Well, I found this install page on TesTAP. It looks pretty easy (relatively speaking).
But if I Can't get screen on the dashboard to show it, I don't even want to consider it. Aside from the convenience of it, I want it to be an investment, and something that a potential buyer will appreciate in the car. If it's just an "aftermarket add on", it won't bring the value up at all.

My tesla approved shop does it for about $4500. But I told them that's insanely high. That's why I'm considering doing it myself.
But you're right, it's the software that's the problem, though, the shop hasn't mentioned that they WON'T upgrade the software for it, and my Tesla Service Center has not mentioned that they won't upgrade it, cause I've mentioned to them about it.

Well, I found this install page on TesTAP. It looks pretty easy (relatively speaking).
But if I Can't get screen on the dashboard to show it, I don't even want to consider it. Aside from the convenience of it, I want it to be an investment, and something that a potential buyer will appreciate in the car. If it's just an "aftermarket add on", it won't bring the value up at all.

My tesla approved shop does it for about $4500. But I told them that's insanely high. That's why I'm considering doing it myself.
But you're right, it's the software that's the problem, though, the shop hasn't mentioned that they WON'T upgrade the software for it, and my Tesla Service Center has not mentioned that they won't upgrade it, cause I've mentioned to them about it.

I provided quite a few owners with the information necessary to do this uopgrade and have it work with the touchscreen. But a few weeks ago my SC said they could no longer upgrade the firmware and that was Tesla corporate policy.

- - - Updated - - -

Mentioning it is not enough. You have to ask them to do it and make an appointment. Then you'll find out. Based on what I know, they won't but let us all know what you find. And BTW, your car has to be have been built before or about mid-summer 2013. Otherwise it won't work.

I provided quite a few owners with the information necessary to do this uopgrade and have it work with the touchscreen. But a few weeks ago my SC said they could no longer upgrade the firmware and that was Tesla corporate policy.

- - - Updated - - -

Mentioning it is not enough. You have to ask them to do it and make an appointment. Then you'll find out. Based on what I know, they won't but let us all know what you find. And BTW, your car has to be have been built before or about mid-summer 2013. Otherwise it won't work.

Hmm. Maybe my local SC doesn't have the latest and greatest. I'll call today.

Lucky for me, my car was a March '13 build.

It's likely they want as few cars with the old parking sensors out there as possible. Mine have never worked with any regularity, and the general response from Tesla has been "Sorry." They're not investigating any fixes for the old sensors, or apparently even repairing ones that don't work. It's not surprising they don't want people adding them to existing cars.

Has anyone tried this in the past few years? I have a 2013 WITH the wiring harness already there...would be any easy add on if I can confirm that the SC will activate them.

Has anyone tried this in the past few years? I have a 2013 WITH the wiring harness already there...would be any easy add on if I can confirm that the SC will activate them.
Which month of 2013?

You’ll need the sensors, PA ECU and bracket. New bumpers (and paint) too, unless you’re DIYing that part. Perhaps a fuse if it’s missing.

Tesla needs to hook you up to their SW, configure what PA system you’ve installed, update/deploy firmware, calibrate and test the sensors.