Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Tire pressure monitoring

  1. #1
    Member Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    232

    Tire pressure monitoring

    Hi All,

    Been lurking here for a while, but as I now have a Signature 250 sitting in my drive I thought I had better register.

    A quick question - is it possible to display the actual tire (we spell it tyre over here) pressures. The monitor on my car shows a picture of the car but with no numbers.

    Under setup I can choose from 2 different pressure settings, but unless I am being stupid (highly probable) or there is something wrong I can not see how to display the actual pressures.

    Thanks
    Alan

  2. #2
    Roadster 919, S 2006 Doug_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,554
    Blog Entries
    1
    Turn the car on and wait.

  3. #3
    Roadster #619
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    110
    It actually takes quite a while to get tire pressure readings. At the end of your drive, before turning off the car, check the readings. All 4 tires come up at different times. In my case, one of the tires never showed a result and the sensor needed to be reset. Apparently this is fairly common.

  4. #4
    Roadster 938 Model S 5957
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lethbridge, Alberta
    Posts
    183
    I've had alot of problems with this as well - have had me sensors reset twice - and used to get tire pressure system warnings come up everytime I drove. After my last visit from the "TESLA RANGER" hehe.....been working good again.

    And yes takes forever to load tire pressures.....

  5. #5
    Member Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    232
    Thanks Guys!

    I have it sorted now. I can only access the information icon when stationary (at least that seems to be the case on my car) yet the tire monitoring only works after driving a bit. The trick seems to be to select tire monitoring before driving off, the temp and pressures pop up after a while.

    One day I must must stop having fun driving the car and find some time to read the manual

    Alan

    PS Note to mods - this is the second time I have tried to post a reply. If thats because I am a new user and have to have post approved first, please delete the one with the most spelling / grammar errors!

  6. #6
    Senior Member cinergi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Arlington, MA
    Posts
    2,039
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    The trick seems to be to select tire monitoring before driving off, the temp and pressures pop up after a while.
    I don't yet own a Roadster, but based on my past experiences with TPMS, this makes sense. Driving around would make the numbers register MUCH more quickly. Sitting stationary would eventually work but took forever.

  7. #7
    '08 #383 SByer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cupertino, CA
    Posts
    1,068
    Huh. I'm usually only to the end of the driveway before I remember I hadn't checked that week, stopping, putting on the parking brake, and they seem to already have measured by then. If I remember when I'm in the garage, I usually have a result within about 5 seconds.

    I like to keep mine at 32/42. Autosport has a great dual-filling chuck that can fill two tires at once, keeping them at the same pressure.

  8. #8
    2008 Roadster #181 DaveD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Redmond, WA
    Posts
    415
    I've had my Roadster for 19 months, and it's been my habit since day one to check the tire pressure every morning before I leave the garage (pressure readings are supposed to be taken before they warm up from driving). The TPMS display has never failed to show me the pressure readings within 10 seconds after turning on the car.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    I've had my Roadster for 19 months, and it's been my habit since day one to check the tire pressure every morning before I leave the garage (pressure readings are supposed to be taken before they warm up from driving). The TPMS display has never failed to show me the pressure readings within 10 seconds after turning on the car.
    Sounds like your car is fitted with one of the early Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems that was able to identify all the tyre pressures as soon as the ignition was switched on.

    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    It actually takes quite a while to get tire pressure readings. At the end of your drive, before turning off the car, check the readings. All 4 tires come up at different times. In my case, one of the tires never showed a result and the sensor needed to be reset. Apparently this is fairly common.
    Sounds like your car may not be fitted with the original TPMS, and has the replacement one (not from the original supplier). With the original system there was no need to "reset" sensors.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SByer View Post
    I like to keep mine at 32/42. Autosport has a great dual-filling chuck that can fill two tires at once, keeping them at the same pressure.
    That sounds like a great accessory. I assume it allows you to equalize the pressure between two tires if one is over and one is under. Also, is it long enough to connect to two wheels while they're on the car (on opposite sides)?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Open Vehicle Monitoring System
    By markwj in forum Tesla Parts for Sale
    Replies: 614
    Last Post: 2014-10-05, 06:20 PM
  2. Tire Pressure and tire life expectancy
    By Sparrow in forum Roadster
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 2013-03-14, 04:39 PM
  3. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 2012-05-28, 01:47 AM
  4. Energy Monitoring Equipment
    By RayT in forum Energy, Environment, and Policy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2012-05-27, 02:19 PM
  5. Tire pressure - Hot or cold?
    By daniel in forum Roadster: Technical
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 2011-07-18, 01:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •