Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media Player Problems with USB HDD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the media Player works with USB and Flac-files, I prepared a small portable USB-powered HDD with some music. I formatted the disc with the FAT32 file system, and deleted any files except the music files in the folders.

Then I connect the drive and the car recognizes it. I get a msg that it is preparing or something, and after a little while a progress bar is moving sligtly. Before a minute is gone however, the screen turns black for a while.. and when it restarts it has forgotten about the HDD. Same happens again and again if I try to repeat it. Same with both USB-slots.

Is the music index buffer so small that it is only able to handle tiny memory sticks or something?

Can it be a problem with some folder- or file names?

Problems with tagging in some of the files?

Any suggestions?

Maybe this or some similar reason: "Western Digital has found that a small number of newer computer systems with USB 3.0, have a USB 3.0 Redriver vendor ASIC (Application-specific Integrated Circuit) - particularly with Intel USB 3.0 and Renesas (formerly NEC) host chipsets, when used with our USB 3.0 products with Initio CP48 Gen2 and Jmicron CP48 (FW 1.014 or higher) device controllers - may have problems interacting with the advanced power management features of the WD USB 3.0 drives."

Open a service ticket with Tesla.

My guess: your drive needs more power, try a USB Y cable like this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427653221.619147.jpg