Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used model S from canada and bringing it to the US, any issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having brought a car in from Canada and sold it in the US many years ago, unless you're getting a great deal I wouldn't bother. There are some potential headaches. Mine didn't have the proper CA emissions sticker in the engine bay for example. Canada has mandatory daytime running lights which you will be stuck with more than likely. There are lots of little issues like that.

If you buy a MS that was originally sold in Canada, will Telsa still honor the warranty?
Any other potential snags ?
Just make sure there aren't any moose hairs caught in the front grill... we hit them all the time.

Given the MS is so digital it's probably an easy import - simple coding - but RIV may be the better resource as some vehicles are not eligible for import/export (unsure if that works both ways?).

Having brought a car in from Canada and sold it in the US many years ago, unless you're getting a great deal I wouldn't bother. There are some potential headaches. Mine didn't have the proper CA emissions sticker in the engine bay for example. Canada has mandatory daytime running lights which you will be stuck with more than likely. There are lots of little issues like that.

i totally dissagree. Importing a tesla is the easiest thing you can do. The car is basically identical. You can get a great deal here in Canada and bring it back in the usa no problem.
There are no issues and the warranty will be honored as well. Very easy to do, no duties to pay as well and you get a great trip out of it.

Thanks for the replies..
I dont see how it could be an issue, I highly doubt Tesla is building a different model for Canada.
I did see some posts that buying used in the US and importing to Canada is not premitted but nothing about doing the opposite.

Thanks for the replies..
I dont see how it could be an issue, I highly doubt Tesla is building a different model for Canada.
I did see some posts that buying used in the US and importing to Canada is not premitted but nothing about doing the opposite.

you are absolutely right. I sold my tesla to my friend in the usa. No issue at all, no duties at the border as well. There is no way the Canadian car is any different than the U.S. is. other than the daytime running lights which is not a bad thing to have the rest of the car is identical.

I sold my Sig to a guy in Utah. Tesla confirmed they will honor the warranty and service the car.
The only glitches are crossing the border. There was a lot of paperwork needed to confirm the car hadn't been registered in the U.S. before and conformed to all your standards. Glad to report that he has the car, has had some service performed and is happily enjoying it.

I sold my Sig to a guy in Utah. Tesla confirmed they will honor the warranty and service the car.
The only glitches are crossing the border. There was a lot of paperwork needed to confirm the car hadn't been registered in the U.S. before and conformed to all your standards. Glad to report that he has the car, has had some service performed and is happily enjoying it.

Thanks for the info! That puts me at ease.. yes the seller said the paperwork is a bit of pain but the price is right and the car has the options I want.

You can set it to US units yourself, through the touchscreen.

DRL's cannot be turned off on Canadian cars, but that's a software thing. Probably your local service center could reset the car to US spec.

There are a few other differences, such as a more secure keyfob and red buttons on the seat belts. None of those things are excluded by US regulations.

It's trivial to export a Canadian spec car to the USA, but you need to do a little work to go the other way.

Thanks for the info! That puts me at ease.. yes the seller said the paperwork is a bit of pain but the price is right and the car has the options I want.

I have yet to see an Canadian car priced "reasonably" when compared to the prices you can get a used Model S for in California in terms of dollars (but not with exchange rate).

Of course, the depreciated Canadian dollar (compared to 2013 especially) likely has a lot to do with this.

Selfishly, I'd encourage US used Tesla shoppers to buy local, as any reduction in demand (by reducing how many US buyers scoop up CDN cars) might be beneficial to my own purchase options. ;-)