Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D under-frunk photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Danal

electricmotorglider.com
Yes, there are people take delivery of their very expensive car, drive it straight home, and take it apart. Here are some photos "under the frunk" of a P85D. These are cell phone photos taken the first night I was home. As soon as the weather gets better, I will take it apart again and get better shots, better light, better camera. Meanwhile:

Start by removing the "fiber" like liner. Use your fingers to free the edges out from under the rubber seal all around, and then lift. Lift only a little, unplug the light and the emergency release, and lift out all the way. Under the liner, there is a 'tow hook'. You'll find more about the tow hook in the emergency section of your owners manual.

IMG_2618.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

This leaves a plastic shell. You must first remove the "Maintenance Panel" at the base of the windshield by pulling up on the edge closest to the windshield, and then sliding the panel rearward. Then remove the black plastic along the sizes of the frunk. This is mostly at careful pull.

So far, everything was just fingers. Not even any trim tools, really.

Now, it will take a 13MM and an 8MM socket to remove the plastic shell frunk.

Under that, we find all kinds of goodies. For example, the Motor and the Inverter, wrapped in something that appears to be sound insulation.
IMG_2619.JPG
IMG_2633.JPG
IMG_2620.JPG

Many other things scattered around. A couple of these looks like part of the ABS system.
IMG_2622.JPG

And, of course, the infamous 12V battery. Easy to get to on a "D".
IMG_2627.JPG

A longer shot of the whole "bay" showing the battery and more.
IMG_2621.JPG

More to come...

Danal

Last edited:
great photos. Interesting, upon delivery my tow hook was just sitting in the frunk.

Now you know there is a spot for it!

It is a bit tedious, but fairly easy, to get the fiber liner out and back in. Just fingers and patience. And the wires, which are on fairly obvious "press here to unlatch" connectors. In fact, you can see the wires dangling in a couple of the photos.

:)

Not only has the 12v battery location changed but the set-up looks totally different and much more traditional. On my P85 the 12v has a whole set of connections and fuses on top of the battery.

Yeah, there are two fairly conventional looking fuse/relay boxes just aft of the traction battery cooling tank. They are full accessible with only the "maintenance panel" removed. There is a third box over toward the passenger side that I've seen in documentation; I did not find it that night.

So has anyone determined how Tesla will access the 12V battery when it dies? I'm thinking the manual release is maybe hidden behind the black panel on the bumper or something... Hint hint.

Jump. Pull the nosecone and jump.

Having said that, there has to be a way around a totally dead ____ [fill in the blank]. I'll look very closely next time I have it apart. Which should be soon.

• Love
Reactions: Shiro