Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So This Is What I'm About To Order, Anything else I need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i live in So Cal, and drive 10k miles a year, and My wife has always driven a big SUV, so road trips will be reserved for that vehicle.

i plan on getting 20's or 22's but aftermarket..

so anything else i must get?

16586073205_08f71af937_b.jpg

I would recommend the panoroof for the extra headroom, resale value, and overall look of the car. I'm assuming you're aware of the caveats about the rear facing seats? (e.g. heat issues, height limits, etc.,) Otherwise, looks like a solid build.

Even with the limited mileage you currently drive, I would not purchase anything but the 85kWh pack. After battery degradation over time you might find you need the extra range and I think it would really improve resale value as well. Not to mention the extra speed.

I also suspect that you might find that you'll want to use the Model S for road trips over the SUV once you get used to it and given the growing supercharger infrastructure.

Echoing @efusco, despite being a happy 60 kWh owner the first time around, am thoroughly enjoying the added range buffer that the 85 pack offers now. If you can swing it, upgrading to the 85 may be worth giving up stuff like the leather seats for (I'm a big fan of the default textile seats btw which I like more than the leather ones from before). With the textile seats and the supercharging that comes with the 85 pack, you'd only need to put in $6,500 more. If you can punt on the rear-facing seats too, then, it's even less of a stretch.

I would recommend the panoroof for the extra headroom, resale value, and overall look of the car. I'm assuming you're aware of the caveats about the rear facing seats? (e.g. heat issues, height limits, etc.,) Otherwise, looks like a solid build.

I have never used the sunroof in any of my previous cars, my wife is the only one who uses it. And I was not aware that there is extra headroom. What's that about??

And yes I'm aware of heat issues of the rear seat, I plan on tinting the whole car w ceramic tint.

Even with the limited mileage you currently drive, I would not purchase anything but the 85kWh pack. After battery degradation over time you might find you need the extra range and I think it would really improve resale value as well. Not to mention the extra speed.

I also suspect that you might find that you'll want to use the Model S for road trips over the SUV once you get used to it and given the growing supercharger infrastructure.

I can't see myself planning a road trip around supercharges

I drive to sf and Napa and Santa Barbara quite often

I can't see myself planning a road trip around supercharges

I drive to sf and Napa and Santa Barbara quite often

Lots of superchargers all around there. I think you'll change your mind...just speaking from experience here. Unless you have enough kids to actually need the rear facing, I'd dump that. If you don't usually use the sunroof, you won't likely miss it in the S, unless you're quite tall or have very tall people sit in the back seat regularly, there's adequate head room for an average sized person. It's an expensive add on.

I have never used the sunroof in any of my previous cars, my wife is the only one who uses it. And I was not aware that there is extra headroom. What's that about??

And yes I'm aware of heat issues of the rear seat, I plan on tinting the whole car w ceramic tint.

I don't remember the exact number, but the panoroof has something like 2-3 inches more headroom versus the solid roof due to being a lot thinner in the glass portions. I never open it either, but it does make the car feel roomier and draws attention away from some of the "cheaper" elements of the standard interior (the fake leather, cloth headliner, etc.). But it's certainly a personal decision and there are plenty of Model S with solid roof too.

As for 60kWh vs 85kWh, the spacing of the California superchargers keeps getting better every day. If you can afford the 85kWh battery, definitely get it. But if your budget dictates you get a 60kWh with Tech, it's still a Tesla Model S, the coolest car in the world. ;)

In regards to panoramic vs. solid roof, the difference is mainly in the second row. The ceiling is recessed in the front row, giving you roughly the same amount of headroom with or without the panoramic roof. However, in the back row the ceiling drops down, and this is where you pick up 2-3" of head room. If you ever plan on putting anyone over about 5' 10" in the second row, they will thank you for getting the panoramic roof.

I assume you are getting the third row because you have children the proper age and size to sit back there. If you are just buying it "just in case" or for resale I would pass, as you gain considerable in-floor storage space by not having the seat there.

For your driving needs the 60 kWh seems adequate. Everyone will tell you to get the bigger battery, but $8,000 savings is significant and everyone's wants and needs are different.

I am a 60 kWh owner with supercharger, I am very happy with it almost same configuration as yours. Had it for 1.5 years. I have done 5 long trips so far and at every supercharger at that time i wished I had an 85 kWh. Bjorn also has a video where it shows that charging time for a 60 and 85 are the same. I am not sure if 6-8k is worth getting the 85 for me. If you plan to keep the car for a long time then 85 will help as less cycles and will last longer.

In my case if i had to do it again i would still get the 60 kWH. If i had the money then i would go for P85D lol.

Fellow SoCal S60 owner here, with a similar setup.

I highly recommend the pano roof. I originally ordered without it, but the wife wanted it... so the wife gets what she wants.

Now I'm in love with it, and can't believe I wasn't going to get it at first.

Drive down the California coast with the pano roof open, your beautiful wife in the passenger seat, and the sun beaming in. Stop by Duke's in Malibu for a MaiTai, then drive up to Malibu Wines for a picnic and a flight of their reds. You will have a great time, I guarantee it. Hell, send me a message and we will join you!

The perceived delays in road trips due to stopping at Superchargers is overblown, in my opinion. We all need a break after driving for a couple of hours for various reasons. We all don't time our bathroom breaks simultaneously, we want a refreshment or a bite to eat, we just want to stretch our legs. Yes, a 400-mile journey will require a minimum of one stop in an 85 and two stops in a 60. But with the trip estimator function in the new software, you can minimize your charging time to leave when the state of charge in the battery is at the desired comfort level to your next charging location or your destination.

My approach to driving longer distances changed dramatically once I bought our Tesla. The need to push hard to reach my destination evaporated. I enjoyed the ride; I enjoyed stopping every two to two and one-half hours to get a 20-30 minute charge before resuming my journey. The length of the charge sessions was perfect to "recharge" my batteries too. I arrived fresher and less stressed.

I suspect others have concluded similarly! (And, nothing beats driving up the coast in a Tesla with the pano roof open, rocking to some tunes, and just soaking in the moment!)

If you plan to keep the car for a long time then 85 will help as less cycles and will last longer.

In my case if i had to do it again i would still get the 60 kWH. If i had the money then i would go for P85D lol.

i didnt think about the battery of the 85 just lasting longer because of less charging cycles... thats food for thought.

Fellow SoCal S60 owner here, with a similar setup.
I highly recommend the pano roof. I originally ordered without it, but the wife wanted it... so the wife gets what she wants.

Now I'm in love with it, and can't believe I wasn't going to get it at first.

Drive down the California coast with the pano roof open, your beautiful wife in the passenger seat, and the sun beaming in. Stop by Duke's in Malibu for a MaiTai, then drive up to Malibu Wines for a picnic and a flight of their reds. You will have a great time, I guarantee it. Hell, send me a message and we will join you!

ok, after all the +1's for the pano, i might change the order... and you are right, even though i dont want it, and the wife will use the car occasionally, maybe i should just get it for the drives to Duke's.

and for those that are asking, yes I have 3 kids, and one more on they way..

Am I strange or does anyone else see the opportunity for Tesla to offer a one or two piece solid (non-opening) transparent roof as a third option?

It would be lighter than the pano, not be prone to leaking or squeeks and rattles (not that Teslas are bad in that regard, but many sunroofs are). It should be much cheaper than the pano too because it would be less complex and the hole is already there. I've had a few cars with opening sunroofs and hardly ever opened them, but I still loved the light and views that the clear roof provided.