Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dallas to Denver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's going to depend on the timing. There are three SC's in permit stage on the OK route. If you have to do it next week, here's what I would do.

First charge at Bristow, OK. Use PlugShare to contact the nice Tesla owners so that you can use their HPWC. Drive gently as it's ~220 miles.
Second charge Wichita, KS SC. (~180 miles from Bristow).
Third charge Salina, KS SC. and then just follow I-70.

Note the last time I went from DFW to Salina Wichita wasn't open so I charged for 90 minutes in Winfield, KS at the Fairgrounds. Won't have to do that next trip (I'm hoping that the Ardmore, OK SC will be open, then I can do the whole trip using SCs).

If you have a 60 rather than an 85, you'll need to top up somewhere on the way to Bristow, OK.

Are you planning to drive this straight through, or are you planning to stop overnight somewhere? Are you time-constrained on when you need to arrive?

Driving the route Jerry33 recommends in an ICE would only be a half hour or so longer than the direct route. It's the much quicker route in a Tesla.

Drive conservatively to a place in OKC to charge -- overnight if the timing works out for you. Then you are off to the races...

Obviously it becomes more complicated the further south from DFW you get!

I have done the trip from Dallas to Denver, CO (and beyond) last July, so it can be done.
Need to know if you are wanting to do an overnight or at least a range charge using a UMC or HPWC.
Also the bigger question is if you have a 60 or an 85?
The mileage you are able to drive between charges impacts where and how often you need to stop.
Time of year, how soon you are intending to travel is a consideration.
Wichita SpC has just opened, and two more in Oklahoma might make the trip a whole different experience than a standard charge rate.

There are several RV parks and a couple of hotels that can help in the short term (immediately) if your trip is anticipated in the next month or so.

No one knows exactly when I-35 will be filled in.
Permits have been filed, but actual construction has yet to commence.

I have had some conversations with TM about the more direct diagonal route from Dallas to Denver, and that will be delayed until after more of the major highway routes are filled in.
Probably not going yo happen during even 2016.
But eventually, it will happen.

No one knows exactly when I-35 will be filled in.
Permits have been filed, but actual construction has yet to commence.

My understanding is that the Ardmore, OK permit has been approved (as opposed to Denton where it's still in the approval stage). Once Ardmore is built anyone with an 85 should easily be able to use only SCs in all but the most inclement weather.

My understanding is that the Ardmore, OK permit has been approved (as opposed to Denton where it's still in the approval stage). Once Ardmore is built anyone with an 85 should easily be able to use only SCs in all but the most inclement weather.

That will be true for trips originating in Dallas, but Denton is still needed for those coming from further south (Waco or Corsicana SC). Not really clear to me how they can see that Denton is needed for passing through DFW, but not have a Baytown SC on the map for passing through Houston...

This is great information. I am planning a trip from Houston to Denver this June with my S85. Hopefully all the intended superchargers from Dallas to Kansas will be finished by that time. Fingers crossed :)

Even if only Ardmore is completed, you still should be good. While it's 256 miles from Ardmore to Wichita, a quick stop at the Winfield Fairgrounds will let you top up to finish that leg (230 miles on Hwy 177 from Ardmore; even better is that you bypass the Oklahoma City traffic).

Assuming that these superchargers are open by June, I would also route

Houston - Corsicana - Ardmore OK - Weatherford, OK - Shamrock TX - Amarillo - Trinidad - Denver

You may need to briefly top off between Amarillo & Trinidad at Dalhart or Raton. This is a 233 mile segment, and has a 4000 foot climb north of Raton. This would be the only segment more than 200 miles.

Shamrock is complete. Ardmore & Trinidad are permitted and imminent. Amarillo and Weatherford show as 'opening soon' but no word on exactly how soon.

- - - Updated - - -

If I am at the limits of my range, I tend to go 60 - 62 mph. If I don't have a headwind or have to run the heater, my wh/mile is below the 'rated' line.

Also, put the AC into 'range' mode on the control panel. I also put regen into the lower mode so I don't waste energy regenerating down small hills rather than simply coasting a little faster.

As it becomes clear I will have enough range I start speeding up from there.