Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric/Power Boost another EV (Share energy)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Idea for Tesla: Possibility to plug a Tesla power cable between two cars to boost another car. Same voltage/interface would probably make it easy/fast!

Imagine quickly give some juice to another EV in problem ! Definitively would save some range anxiety

What do you think ?

Idea for Tesla: Possibility to plug a Tesla power cable between two cars to boost another car. Same voltage/interface would probably make it easy/fast!

Imagine quickly give some juice to another EV in problem ! Definitively would save some range anxiety

What do you think ?

Without a bunch of hardware, that's a quick way to kill both batteries.

If you connect a fully charged battery pack that's sitting at ~ 430V in parallel with a drained on that's only at 360V, the result will be a surge of current from one to the other limited only by the internal resistance of the two packs - which is as small as Tesla can make it for efficiency reasons.

With no controls, this surge could burn out wiring and contactors, overheat cells, or even blow Tesla's individual cell fuses.

The safe way to do it would be with a dc dc converter module - but it seems like an unlikely enough scenario that I'm not sure why anyone would invest in and carry a big expensive dedicated box for the purpose.

I guess the one more or less safe way without additional hardware is through the road - hook the two cars together, and tow the drained car with the charged one while the drained car regenerates. You'd have to be careful not to put too much load on the tow bar, and you'll lose some energy on both ends, but as long add the mechanical bits hold together, nothing bad would happen.
Walter

The safe way to do it would be with a dc dc converter module - but it seems like an unlikely enough scenario that I'm not sure why anyone would invest in and carry a big expensive dedicated box for the purpose.

These guys sell such a thing:

http://www.andromedapower.com/ORCA_Inceptive.php

(CHAdeMO to CHAdeMO rather than Tesla to Tesla, but the problem is the same).

However, as a chunky box selling at about $25K, this is aimed more at the likes of AAA rather than for ordinary motorists to carry around on the off-chance.

Without a bunch of hardware, that's a quick way to kill both batteries.

If you connect a fully charged battery pack that's sitting at ~ 430V in parallel with a drained on that's only at 360V, the result will be a surge of current from one to the other limited only by the internal resistance of the two packs - which is as small as Tesla can make it for efficiency reasons.

With no controls, this surge could burn out wiring and contactors, overheat cells, or even blow Tesla's individual cell fuses.

I guess the one more or less safe way without additional hardware is through the road - hook the two cars together, and tow the drained car with the charged one while the drained car regenerates. You'd have to be careful not to put too much load on the tow bar, and you'll lose some energy on both ends, but as long add the mechanical bits hold together, nothing bad would happen.
Walter
Someone in the Netherlands did this with a Leaf. Watch on YouTube to turn on English subtitles:
The fastest way to charge your Nissan Leaf without power supply - YouTube

These guys sell such a thing:

http://www.andromedapower.com/ORCA_Inceptive.php

(CHAdeMO to CHAdeMO rather than Tesla to Tesla, but the problem is the same).

However, as a chunky box selling at about $25K, this is aimed more at the likes of AAA rather than for ordinary motorists to carry around on the off-chance.
A AAA card in your wallet is a lot more compact - "Hey Mr tow truck driver, can you give me a lift to the nearest Supercharger?" AAA plus gives you 100 miles free towing, which would get you safely to a SC in many cases.