Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Rating decrease on 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok . . . so I could have sworn up, down and sideways that when the AWD was first announced, the 85D showed a rated range of 295 miles . . . I'm positive of this because I remember thinking that they were getting close to the magical 300 mile barrier. However, now the 85D shows only 265 miles, while the 85 shows 265 (EPA) and 285 at 65mph. Also, this is plainly inconsistent with the official Tesla blog post about the issue which stated "By precisely splitting the delivery of current from the battery to each motor, the Model S 85D actually gains an additional 10 miles of highway driving range compared to its rear motor Model S counterpart."http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/dual-motor-model-s-and-autopilot

Putting aside that actual real world mileage will vary, I'm completely confused as to what to believe. Did AWD gain some efficiency and mileage, or not? And why do the numbers keep shifting around?

Ok . . . so I could have sworn up, down and sideways that when the AWD was first announced, the 85D showed a rated range of 295 miles . . . I'm positive of this because I remember thinking that they were getting close to the magical 300 mile barrier. However, now the 85D shows only 265 miles, while the 85 shows 265 (EPA) and 285 at 65mph. Also, this is plainly inconsistent with the official Tesla blog post about the issue which stated "By precisely splitting the delivery of current from the battery to each motor, the Model S 85D actually gains an additional 10 miles of highway driving range compared to its rear motor Model S counterpart."http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/dual-motor-model-s-and-autopilot

Putting aside that actual real world mileage will vary, I'm completely confused as to what to believe. Did AWD gain some efficiency and mileage, or not? And why do the numbers keep shifting around?

Maybe it's because they either
a) Got the actual EPA rating
b) Got a slap on the wrist from the EPA and were told to show the Model S EPA rating until the D was rated

I'm thinking it's a mistake. The "top 5 questions" range widget still shows 261 miles for the 85 with the default climate settings, not the 285 the order page shows - Tesla has been very clear that the 85D will have a longer range than the base 85, which isn't reflected by the numbers they have on the site now - it actually say the 85D has a shorter range at 65 right now.
Walter