Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taking a trip to Bald Head Island- advice appreciated!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking the wife and boys to BHI for a week in July. Driving from Richmond, so we'll take 95 to 40.

I can easily hit the Rocky Mount SC, but after that it seems to get a little squirrely. I think it's about 140-150 miles from Rocky Mount SC to the Southport ferry. So I can't get back to Rocky Mount on the return trip. The wife won't have patience to sit a few hours to let me charge up on a J1772.

Does anyone know if the Southport ferry has even a standard electrical outlet I might be able to use? Even if the car sits there all week and charges at 3mph I'll be fully charged by the time we head home.

I'm new to Plug Share and have looked around. All I can find is the J1772's which would take a few hours to get me enough miles to make it to Rocky Mount. Any advice is appreciated!

Not a problem. I live and work on the island. Contact me anytime and I'll go over with you. We have recently installed docking/charging stations in one of our parking lots and I can get you to those.
910-471-7710.

Thanks a ton! I spoke to a nice woman in the parking department at the Southport ferry. She said she knew of only one charging station in the owners parking lot (we're not owners) but she wanted to check with the manager to determine if there were other options. She was worried that with the busy July 4 crowd I might not be able to park near the charging station or that the other EV owners might get there before me. Do you know if there are multiple chargers I can access?

I'd be interested in any charging solutions you find. My son lives in Oak Island and we plan to visit later in the summer. I was planning on just being there for a few days and charging off his 110 but if there are convenient, faster options it would be good to know. Good luck!

I was down there at the same vicinity a few weeks back... only headed from Southport to Fort Fisher (Pleasure Island, Carolina Beach etc). I did not see much in the way of charging via plugshare etc..

You could head down 95 to Lumberton and hit the supercharger, really not much out of your way. It is a newer supercharger... I was seeing ~330mph at it. It is ~85 miles to Southport. After your jaunt to Bald Head, (make sure you are in energy saving mode to keep vampiric draw to a minimum) you could make it back to Lumberton, and back up 95.