Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVTripPlanner Question: Energy Markers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RM = Rated miles (yeah, it's not explained very well.)

However, I think there is a bug because the one I'm looking at shows 214.3 actual miles using 218 RM, but the map shows 138 RM at the destination. When I actually drove the trip I traveled 231 miles, and used 180 RM.

RM = Rated miles (yeah, it's not explained very well.)

However, I think there is a bug because the one I'm looking at shows 214.3 actual miles using 218 RM, but the map shows 138 RM at the destination. When I actually drove the trip I traveled 231 miles, and used 180 RM.
I thought that's what it was but I was totally confused that a 531 mile trip would only use 308 RM. It didn't make any sense.

And I found another bug. When I routed from Texas to Washington (state) and chose "use Supeerchargers", it routed directly. I thought it would route direct to the Superchargers and then use the Supercharger network.

Sadly I tried to use EVtripplanner for my Portland-Scottsdale round trip. Basically the only way I could make it usable was to plan each leg as its own "trip". So basically I was doing my own routing (most legs were supercharger-supercharger). Saving each plan as a PDF in dropbox I was able to preview the upcoming leg while charging.

It was helpful to see the net elevation change and the "required rated miles" energy budget. That actually was helpful. Any attempts I made at letting EVTP actually route was awful. Nice site, cool mashup but needs considerable QA testing and debugging.

Sadly I tried to use EVtripplanner for my Portland-Scottsdale round trip. Basically the only way I could make it usable was to plan each leg as its own "trip". So basically I was doing my own routing (most legs were supercharger-supercharger). Saving each plan as a PDF in dropbox I was able to preview the upcoming leg while charging.

It was helpful to see the net elevation change and the "required rated miles" energy budget. That actually was helpful. Any attempts I made at letting EVTP actually route was awful. Nice site, cool mashup but needs considerable QA testing and debugging.
Thanks, pilotSteve! I will be giving it a good workout next month on the way to TeslaConnect. So far it has been very useful in helping me route the trip. (I am doing the entire trip NOT on an Interstate, but going from supercharger to supercharger.)

Steve -
We're doing a trip from Scottsdale to BC this summer and had only one problem using EV Trip Planner. I started some of the planning before they added the route-through-Superchargers option, and it was able to calculate the entire trip for each direction -- and it still works with the supercharger routing option. The one problem I had was a bad elevation data point in downtown Seattle that really messed up the range calculations -- I emailed them and they were able to fix it...

However for most of my planning, I broke the trip down to each day of driving and copied the Details tab into a spreadsheet. That allowed me to add an estimated charging time for each Supercharger stop so that each day of driving is realistic...

Steve -
We're doing a trip from Scottsdale to BC this summer and had only one problem using EV Trip Planner. I started some of the planning before they added the route-through-Superchargers option, and it was able to calculate the entire trip for each direction -- and it still works with the supercharger routing option. The one problem I had was a bad elevation data point in downtown Seattle that really messed up the range calculations -- I emailed them and they were able to fix it...

However for most of my planning, I broke the trip down to each day of driving and copied the Details tab into a spreadsheet. That allowed me to add an estimated charging time for each Supercharger stop so that each day of driving is realistic...

ZBB- that is what I was trying to achieve (one plan for each day). I have only used the version with "route thru superchargers" and it was confusing me. I must say however than the leg from Kingman AZ to Barstow CA *correctly* predicted I would need 294RM for the 206 actual assuming 1.2x speed and 99° temperature. Looking at that I decided I had to take it slow and start with a range charge.

Haha. Stopping at the rest stop 1/3 of the way along I40 I was concerned that I was using up my reserve faster than I should, even having slowed to 60 and moving into the right lane. Opening my door I was blasted with 20-30 MPH steady head winds. Oops, this plan was NOT going to work for me.

I had noticed that when using 'route thru superchargers' half the time it was direct to Barstow, other half the time it was taking me to Las Vegas first.

Sitting at the rest stop it became clear me that EVTripPlanner was smarter than me! I took a hint and went to Las Vegas then to Barstow.

So I really have to take back some of the gripes I made about the web site :reface:

ps I'll echo those that say we need a SC in Prim. Its just about half way, would be a nice stop, and would eliminate the need for the long detour to Las Vegas.

?? I tried Portland OR to Scottsdale AZ and EVtripper did it in 30 seconds. Are you registered and using v 2.3?
Portland to Scottsdale.jpg