Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation screen blank

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced the satellite navigation go blank with good 3G reception. This has happened a few times, I come out to the car and everything boots up. The sat nav is working it shows 2 or 3 or 4 bars the I drive away and in 5 minutes the screen goes blank (gray) and I notice the bars do not change even when I know I should not have 4 bars. What seems to happen is that the nav freezes up and unless I reboot the main screen I do not get the nav back. Once I reboot the signal starts to work and I have the satellite nav back. Any ideas?

I've had my car for a week and the nav screen has locked up about four times; meaning it stops moving. I've rebooted with no fix, but I discovered that if I speak a location ("where is [address]) it starts moving again, and if I cancel the directions it stays okay. If it keeps up, I guess I'll report it.

I'm not sure if this is same behavior that Merrill was experiencing, but I had a connectivity related issue that affected nav and Slacker today. I'm on 5.8.8 and I park in an underground garage with no connectivity. For the 30 min drive I noticed that the map data and traffic were not updating but it wasn't an issue because I know the route (just keep the map up to see the traffic). When I picked up my kids I switched over to Slacker but nothing played despite flipping between a few "stations." Finally switched over to my USB music collection which worked fine, but the album art was blank. The issue finally resolved itself when I got home and the car connected to my wi-fi router and then I went out to pick up dinner.

If you're talking about the center screen, it happened to me a lot on 5.8.8. I would get in, and everything would start except for the center screen. I was even able to drive the car, the only things not functioning were the screen, sound system, and climate control. After rebooting, everything would work fine again. I took it into the service center, and they updated the software to 5.8.10, and I haven't experienced that problem since. If you're not on 5.8.10, I'd suggest taking it to the service center and have them update it.