Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why won't my cruise control let me exceed 73 MPH? 2013 Model S P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time post so I apologize if this has been posted before. I attempted to "search" for the information but I couldn't find anything similar.

The "title" is exactly what I have going on. I sent a request in to my Tesla service center so I'll post the answer when/if I get one but I thought maybe someone could enlighten me before they do. My first thought was that it was because I was in "range" mode but I shut that off, restarted the car after parking it, etc. and that did nothing to resolve the problem. Thanks for reading,

Dan

- - - Updated - - -

Typo P85+ not P95+ (obviously)

The speed limiter is on. This is used on Demo cars restricting top speed to 80mph and the cruise control locks to max 73mph.

Your Service Center can fix it in 30sec, but I'm not sure it can be done OTA, you may have to visit in person.

P.S. Corrected thread title typo for you.

Thanks guys! I have a call in to support. I think you are right about the demo mode. The car did have a few miles on it prior to my purchase. I wonder what other little things are involved in the demo mode. I would think they would limit a top speed or something vs limit the cruise control!

NigelM, thanks for fixing that for me.

Again, once I get this resolved I will post resolution for the next guy. Much appreciated guys!

- - - Updated - - -

NigelM, I just remembered that I can far exceed 80 MPH. I think I had it up to 100 at one point. So either your answer is half right or there is another challenge?

NigelM, I just remembered that I can far exceed 80 MPH. I think I had it up to 100 at one point. So either your answer is half right or there is another challenge?
Maybe something glitchy. If you exceeded 80mph demo mode is "off", but maybe there's a bug where all the limitations weren't removed. You could try the hard reset process the SC ran me through once: from the dash select the Power Off button (Controls->Drive or something like that). Then exit the car, close all the doors, and walk far away from the vehicle (or remove the battery from your key) for at least two minutes. I was told the two minute part is important, because there's a countdown timer involved. This powers down everything that can be powered down, and it all restarts when you next return to the car.

Save that, you'll have to visit the service center.

Just to be clear...

I can confirm that my P85 lets me set the cruise control to at least 77mph with no issues. I'm pretty sure yours is the unusual one.

My bet is that it's just a setting on one of the diagnostic screens we don't have access to as "mere" owners.

Update for you guys: Service is coming to pick up the car Monday. Whatever it is, it isn't something they want to talk about. They have some diags that need to be done at the service center and the prevailing theory is that it is NOT anything to do with DEMO mode. My bet is that all of you are right and it will prove to be something they failed to change when they delivered the car =)

This week while driving to work on a 3 lane highway where people drive really fast I was on cruise control and kept bumping it up in order to keep up with cars in front and back of me.

Worked fine up to 90MPH, then wouldn't let me raise it from there. So, in order to maintain distances and drive carefully, I had to take it off cruise control.

Last edited: