Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

laws around driving with out of state license?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently moved to the Bay Area and still have to get a CA license. The DMVs out here are stupid busy... the next available appointment to avoid waits isn't until March? Good lord. Does anyone have any tips on that?

What I was wondering is what the laws around here are about driving with an out of state license. I purchased the Tesla in CA, so it has CA plates. I understand that out-of-state plates are a big deal here, so that isn't my issue. I tried looking at a couple DMV websites (like here and here and here) about out-of-state license and couldn't really find anything.

Is an out-of-state license a non-issue as long as it's not expired? Additionally, I'm concerned about applying for the Clean Air Vehicle stickers without a CA license. I'm trying to get the CA license, it's just taking time...

From the DMV website Driver License and Identification Card Information

How to apply for a driver license if you are over 18

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

To apply for an original driver license if you are over 18, you will need to do the following:

Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s) for faster service)
Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted. Copies will not be accepted.)
Give a thumb print
Have your picture taken
Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office.
Verify your birth date and legal presence If your current name no longer matches the name on your birth data/legal presence document, see “True Full Name” and “How to Change Your Name” for more information.
Provide your true full name
Pay the application fee
Pass a vision exam
Pass a traffic laws and sign test. There are 36 questions on the test. You have three chances to pass.(Sample Test)

It used to be that many AAA offices were authorized to perform many, but not all DMV functions. I remember doing license plates and change of vehicle registration, but not driver's license tests. Not sure what the current situation is. If they can do what you want (or some part of what you want) it should be much faster and in a more commodious setting. You have to be a member to use the services.

In California they are more worried about having your car properly registered and insured withing 10 days than having a local drivers license. Your DMV appointment date should satisfy their interest. They are well aware that the DMV is backed up, and if you are making a good faith effort, you should be good to go.

On the other hand, if you are driving in a dangerous manner, and attract their attention for that, they well may cite you for no license, just to have something easy for them to write up.

Same thing with front license plate. In some areas they don't care, but in others (especially with photo radar) they will inforce it in the regular course of business.

I concur with the good faith effort. I once had a car that was out of service, that I paid the reg fees on, but registration wasn't finalized because it needed a smog check (darn ICE cars). Once I fixed it, I needed to get it to the smog check station. Got pulled over on the way there for expired tags. I told them what happened, told them that I was on my way to get a smog check, and showed them my parts receipts and the smog coupon and reg notice that I had on the passenger seat. They were cool with that. However, they told me that a lot of people use that as an excuse. Because I had the documentation, they believed me.