Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Out of State Delivery Question - NJ delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the Midwest and today I found the car I wanted at a significant discount in NJ. As you may have guessed the app doesn't like my out-of-state driver's license and won't allow me to register it with that address. I used my local NJ friend's address to get around the issue (for now).

My plan is to drive it back home to the Midwest after pickup and register and license it here (and pay taxes). Will Tesla require proof of address at pickup? I can likely have a new cellphone service set up at this address pretty quickly.

Also, I don't see an option for a temp registration - only transfer a plate or not.

Does anyone foresee any issues?

Thanks for your help.

I am not in Jersey, but here is what normally happens in nearly all States:

When you pick up the car the dealer registers the car in that State, so you pay registration fees and taxes. You will have to provide the owners name, address and proof of insurance. You will have a temporary tag. You will not be unable to register the car elsewhere until you have the title, which can often take some time. If you plan to get a loan or lease the problem is much worse.

Check with New Jersey DMV to see if there is a way around this.

See if you can get Tesla to transfer the car to a local dealer. You will pay a fee for this.

Last edited:
I am not in Jersey, but here is what normally happens in nearly all States:

When you pick up the car the dealer registers the car in that State, so you pay registration fees and taxes. You will have to provide the owners name, address and proof of insurance. You will have a temporary tag. You will not be unable to register the car elsewhere until you have the title, which can often take some time. If you plan to get a loan or lease the problem is much worse.

Check with New Jersey DMV to see if there is a way around this.

See if you can get Tesla to transfer the car to a local dealer. You will pay a fee for this.
This is not true. You register the vehicle in the state that you claim residency. Taxes are only paid (if applicable) to the state that you reside in.

I live in New Hampshire. We don’t have a sales tax. I have bought 2 vehicles in Texas, one in Pennsylvania and several in Massachusetts. Have not paid taxes on any of these purchases.

Texas and PA gave me temporary plates. The Massachusetts vehicles were delivered to a NH DMV, where I took delivery and registered them at that time.

Reactions: morbidz
A quick update on my NJ Tesla purchase:

These rules are specific to TESLA in NJ and do not apply to purchasing a car at any other new or used dealer (including a used Tesla from a conventional dealer).
  • You MUST use a NJ address to title the car with Tesla
  • You MUST proof of insurance that states it as a "NJ Auto Insurance ID Card" (or similar) - it MUST say NJ on the card
This is entirely different from any other car purchase where if you are out of state the dealer gives you a temp tag after payment and you drive away in your new car.

I now have the car but the the local insurance requirement caused delays as my Midwest proof of insurance card was not accepted and was not flagged ahead of time by Tesla before I arrived. As the Tesla pickup concierge stated, "these are just silly rules imposed on Tesla by the state to keep the local dealers happy".

• Informative
Reactions: MacO512 and ATPMSD
I'd like to buy a new in inventory Model Y out of state because they seem to be less expensive right now and while the Tesla Inventory page will show me the cars it won't tell me where they are, saying that it's outside my zip code range. And this sucks because the same configuration car costs around $3,000 more in my state, even when they are discounted to move inventory.

I'd like to buy a new in inventory Model Y out of state because they seem to be less expensive right now and while the Tesla Inventory page will show me the cars it won't tell me where they are, saying that it's outside my zip code range. And this sucks because the same configuration car costs around $3,000 more in my state, even when they are discounted to move inventory.
I used the site: waitingfortesla dot com

It scrapes all of the inventory from around the country. For some reason, at this moment it seems the Y search is not working and is showing empty. I jumped on my purchase when the car configured how I wanted came up at a discount of $5850.

A quick update on my NJ Tesla purchase:

These rules are specific to TESLA in NJ and do not apply to purchasing a car at any other new or used dealer (including a used Tesla from a conventional dealer).
  • You MUST use a NJ address to title the car with Tesla
  • You MUST proof of insurance that states it as a "NJ Auto Insurance ID Card" (or similar) - it MUST say NJ on the card
This is entirely different from any other car purchase where if you are out of state the dealer gives you a temp tag after payment and you drive away in your new car.

I now have the car but the the local insurance requirement caused delays as my Midwest proof of insurance card was not accepted and was not flagged ahead of time by Tesla before I arrived. As the Tesla pickup concierge stated, "these are just silly rules imposed on Tesla by the state to keep the local dealers happy".
Something got messed up with your file. I am a NH resident and picked up an inventory MYLR last week at Springfield, NJ.
  • I did not need to provide a NJ address, as the car will not be titled by anyone (me or Tesla) in NJ.
  • I had to provide proof of insurance. I uploaded a PDF doc with a 2 page insurance binder listing coverage for the VIN under my NH policy and a copy of the insurance card with the new VIN. I did not need to provide any sort of NJ-specific insurance.
  • I drove away with a NJ temp plate on the car. No fees for the temp registration.
Now I am waiting for them to mail my "registration packet" because Tesla, unlike every other new car company/dealer, is unable/unwilling to provide the paperwork at delivery.

Reactions: Maxdriver
Something got messed up with your file. I am a NH resident and picked up an inventory MYLR last week at Springfield, NJ.
  • I did not need to provide a NJ address, as the car will not be titled by anyone (me or Tesla) in NJ.
  • I had to provide proof of insurance. I uploaded a PDF doc with a 2 page insurance binder listing coverage for the VIN under my NH policy and a copy of the insurance card with the new VIN. I did not need to provide any sort of NJ-specific insurance.
  • I drove away with a NJ temp plate on the car. No fees for the temp registration.
Now I am waiting for them to mail my "registration packet" because Tesla, unlike every other new car company/dealer, is unable/unwilling to provide the paperwork at delivery.
There is a small handful of states that are allowed to purchase in NJ without being a NJ resident. I remember seeing a list somewhere but haven't been able to find it. It will also be shown in the app if you try to register from one of the states not allowed to buy in NJ. My midwest state was not allowed and I had to use my NJ address.

There is a small handful of states that are allowed to purchase in NJ without being a NJ resident. I remember seeing a list somewhere but haven't been able to find it. It will also be shown in the app if you try to register from one of the states not allowed to buy in NJ. My midwest state was not allowed and I had to use my NJ address.

were you able to get Tesla NJ to mail your registration and plates to your other home address?

looking to do the same. buy in NJ, register car in my NJ address, but will be away for work for an extended period of time and won't be home to get the plates and tags.

All of your sales paperwork and delivery acceptance can be downloaded from your Tesla Account online. Just log into your Tesla account. Select manage your vehicle, and you'll see a listing of all your documents that you can download and print out.

All of your sales paperwork and delivery acceptance can be downloaded from your Tesla Account online. Just log into your Tesla account. Select manage your vehicle, and you'll see a listing of all your documents that you can download and print out.
The registration packet I was waiting on (and received about 2 weeks after purchase) was the Certificate of Origin (original doc) and a wet-signed bill of sale, neither of which could be downloaded.