Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two questions for two Model S's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we now have two model S's in the family. I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to make the keys interoperate with both cars. So rather than having different key fobs for different cars can you simply just have one fob that operates two cars?
2. I'm thinking of swapping the wheels between both cars. Would the cars learn their new TPMS or would those have to be swapped as well? or worse yet reprogrammed by the dealer?

So we now have two model S's in the family. I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to make the keys interoperate with both cars. So rather than having different key fobs for different cars can you simply just have one fob that operates two cars?
2. I'm thinking of swapping the wheels between both cars. Would the cars learn their new TPMS or would those have to be swapped as well? or worse yet reprogrammed by the dealer?

No, you cannot combine key fobs
Yes, the TPMS will program themselves....you can do that in settings.

Last edited:
I think the TPMS question was several questions and not answered by a simple "yes"

Swapping wheels... if they are same wheels, it should work. If different (19 vs 21, different pressures maybe) ... it should still work? (I'm not sure, but I hope it still works!) Either way there is a TPMS reset button with the latest firmware so no big worry.

I wonder if the service center can combine key fobs?

@FlyYellow: The more annoying issue will be pressing the charge port open button on your UMC or HPWC and likely opening the charge door on both vehicles.

I've had that (I had a Models S loaner when my Roadster was in for service) and it's really not annoying; most of the time I plug the cars in at night so they would both get plugged in more or less simultaneously anyway.

Why not? All the programming of what fobs to accept is done in the car. Just bring all fobs and both cars to the service center and I'm pretty sure they will be able to make it work.

It probably depends on your local Service Centre and whether they know how to do it or not. Also it depends on how many fobs are allowed. If it's only two...

I've had that (I had a Models S loaner when my Roadster was in for service) and it's really not annoying; most of the time I plug the cars in at night so they would both get plugged in more or less simultaneously anyway.

I have a dumb question on this front. If a car is locked and the chargeport door closed and the keyfob is nowhere in the vicinity, will pressing the HPWC button still open the chargeport? And, can the HPWC be plugged into the chargeport and charge the car?

I ask because, very soon, I'll have the opportunity to share a small bank of HPWCs (I'll post details when it's ready) with a few other Model S and in case I don't get the HPWC spot but, can park in the vicinity, would I be able to request another owner to plug my car in after s/he's done? I don't want to leave the chargeport door open...

I have a dumb question on this front. If a car is locked and the chargeport door closed and the keyfob is nowhere in the vicinity, will pressing the HPWC button still open the chargeport?

No. (you can whack the charge port door on the right side and it will open)

And, can the HPWC be plugged into the chargeport and charge the car?

The fob needs to be around when you plug in the charging cable. Even if the charge port was open, it wouldn't do anything.

I have a dumb question on this front. If a car is locked and the chargeport door closed and the keyfob is nowhere in the vicinity, will pressing the HPWC button still open the chargeport? And, can the HPWC be plugged into the chargeport and charge the car?

I ask because, very soon, I'll have the opportunity to share a small bank of HPWCs (I'll post details when it's ready) with a few other Model S and in case I don't get the HPWC spot but, can park in the vicinity, would I be able to request another owner to plug my car in after s/he's done? I don't want to leave the chargeport door open...

I just tried with my HPWC with the car locked and keyfob not nearby. The chargeport opened when i pushed the button from the charging cable, and it charged normally. But you would need to unlock the car to unplug the charging cable though.

I just tried with my HPWC with the car locked and keyfob not nearby. The chargeport opened when i pushed the button from the charging cable, and it charged normally. But you would need to unlock the car to unplug the charging cable though.

Excellent! Thanks, RedMatador. That would work for me as I can walk back to the car once it's charged and pay it forward by plugging another waiting (locked) car in.

No. (you can whack the charge port door on the right side and it will open)

The fob needs to be around when you plug in the charging cable. Even if the charge port was open, it wouldn't do anything.

My experience is different, I've plugged in numerous times without the key fob. You're correct only when the car is/was in in a deep sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. My nightly chore is to let the dogs out and plug in the cars, most times I don't have the MS fob with me (Roadster is old-style manual chargeport).

My experience is different, I've plugged in numerous times without the key fob. You're correct only when the car is/was in in a deep sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. My nightly chore is to let the dogs out and plug in the cars, most times I don't have the MS fob with me (Roadster is old-style manual chargeport).
I think that is the distinction. If the car is in Sleep mode it will not allow the charge port to open or charging to begin. you would need to disable Sleep Mode.

I seem to remember that, when testing fobs, I got my wife's car to wake up with a button press and then got the door to open with a second press once the car was awake. I'd have to test that theory to make sure I am remembering correctly.

and yes, I'm constantly having to close my charge door in the morning when my wife has plugged in the night before. Her cable opens my port every time :)

I think you guys are probably right. To be sure I'll give another try tonight. How do I make sure that the car is in sleep mode?

There's no real way to tell unless you walk up to it and see the "T" coming up in the display (unless you have Visible Tesla). The car does wake up from sleep on occasion to charge the 12V battery.

You might try setting the charge timer around the time you normally plug in. I think the car wakes up near the start time. I use the J1772 and this works for me. I open the charge port when I get home and plug in the adapter. Then I Plug in the J1772 later and the car starts to charge at the assigned time (or if past the assigned time, it starts immediately.) I don't have experience with the HPWC, though. I don't take the fob out to the garage when I go to plug in, so that isn't a factor with regards to wake up.

Last edited: