Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

possible to wire up a 110v plug here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to find a way to charge my car (even at 110v rate) outside of my work place. Relatively temporary until we move (about 2 months from now). I found this outside near the back of our building:

IMG_20140205_145341.jpg

Anyone know if this wire is safe and/or high enough gauge to be able to pull 110 and maybe around 10amps? Clearly, I have little clue to do this myself. Just curious at the high level if anyone knows this is worth me pursuing or not.

Wire gauge looks ok for 10A from the picture. I think I can read 14 AWG on one of them. But you would have to check this. The writing is obscured in the picture.

Looks like that could be low voltage DC for landscaping lighting.

And the fact that one of the wires is just bare and hanging up there makes me wonder if you even want to deal with that.

If it were me I would look for a better plug in spot, some street lights have j-boxes in the bottom you can get at with a screwdriver. And buildings should have some exterior wall plugs, you just might have to park in back though.

It makes sense. It's basically around our grassy/green area, so I would bet on it too! I'll check out some of the taller parking lot light posts, ElSupreme, that's a good idea.

Also, we have an unused air conditioning system in the back of our building. It is a bit far from a parking spot, so I may need an extension cord:

IMG_20140205_145209.jpg

IMG_20140205_145239.jpg

It makes sense. It's basically around our grassy/green area, so I would bet on it too! I'll check out some of the taller parking lot light posts, ElSupreme, that's a good idea.

Make sure the voltage is appropraite. Most commercial locations use 208 VAC for lighting, but some is 277 VAC. I would suspect the UMC would work fine for 208, but I wouldn't use my UMC (or car for that matter) to test 277VAC.

Also, we have an unused air conditioning system in the back of our building. It is a bit far from a parking spot, so I may need an extension cord:

Well, you would have to get an electrician to wire up an electrical plug to that on/off switch box and disconnect the AC unit. I doubt the building owner would be very interested in doing that.

Do you need work charging? Normally you don't need work charging with a Model S.