Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Cabrio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found no 4 doors when I looked a couple years ago. But VW EOS does have an option of a Sunroof inside the folding top so you can have both.

Hi Kevin,

Yes I know about EOS (a neighbor has one). I own a 2003 Peugeot 307 CC which does not have the option, but I think Renault's equivalent does as well.
However, I think what makes it an issue for the hard-top is the 4-doors... It is surely possible, but the car would need to be strengthen to compensate for the removal of central pillars (if it is to have any sort of rigidity), and I still wonder how this could be done...

The idea of a mixed hard-glass front was only to simplify the folding mechanism for the roof. In that case, only the glass guiding sides would need to fold vs the whole forward section of the roof... or perhaps it would make sense to leave the side arches for structural integrity, and make the all glass roof retract underneath the tunk's glass...

The idea of a mixed hard-glass front was only to simplify the folding mechanism for the roof. In that case, only the glass guiding sides would need to fold vs the whole forward section of the roof... or perhaps it would make sense to leave the side arches for structural integrity, and make the all glass roof retract underneath the tunk's glass...

A la the Porsche 911 Targa? I was actually thinking about putting a convertible on 4 doors this morning. You have to keep the whole B pillar (to close and seal the doors properly). And your canopy has to be significantly thinner than your vehicle, so that it can fold up inside the trunk. I don't really see getting away from fixed door arches without a lot of compromise. But a Porsche 991 style Targa top I could easily see.

The other obvious problem with leveraging the Model S as a convertible is the hatchback. The whole trunk section would have to be reworked, not to mention the canopy and windshield. And adding more rigidity in the windscreen framework could easily take away even more of the limited head room. Not to mention the shear size of the Model S canopy.

What do you think with this version ? :D ;)
tesla-cab-mini.jpg

Attachments

• tesla cab.jpg
    tesla cab.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2,158
A la the Porsche 911 Targa? I was actually thinking about putting a convertible on 4 doors this morning. You have to keep the whole B pillar (to close and seal the doors properly). And your canopy has to be significantly thinner than your vehicle, so that it can fold up inside the trunk. I don't really see getting away from fixed door arches without a lot of compromise. But a Porsche 991 style Targa top I could easily see.

The other obvious problem with leveraging the Model S as a convertible is the hatchback. The whole trunk section would have to be reworked, not to mention the canopy and windshield. And adding more rigidity in the windscreen framework could easily take away even more of the limited head room. Not to mention the shear size of the Model S canopy.
Yep, a la targa... though I kinda like the idea of an arch-less 4-door cabrio...
I agree that the hatchback would need reworking and all other constrains you mention would have to be carefully assessed....

- - - Updated - - -

What do you think with this version ? :D ;)
View attachment 25868

Looks really really nice!! But two doors only - that's already been done ;-)
The idea here would be for a 4-door cabriolet - can you render it? WOuld be great to see!!

Thanks and regards

Last edited:
I was thinking that using some small rear hinged car doors could allow to have a 4 doors cabriolet. For example a volkswagen EOS, but you add a rear hinged door (like the RX8) between the front door and the rear wheel.

You still run the problem of having to put in a B pillar. Something to seal the back edge of the front window, and the front edge of the rear window. Having framed doors on a convertible takes away much of the convertibleness.

You still run the problem of having to put in a B pillar. Something to seal the back edge of the front window, and the front edge of the rear window. Having framed doors on a convertible takes away much of the convertibleness.
I agree that keeping the door frames (the arches going from A to C) would take away much of the convertibleness...
How would it be to leave the Bs in with corresponding cross arch? Would provide for rigidity and roll-cage functionality... but can that look nice too? We need djromain drawings ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I also found this rendition of the concept I/we are after for an Audi A7... but is it doable like that? Would we need to sacrifise the hatch-back ? Does it matter?
So many questions... :confused:
audia7scoopphoto1.jpg

I agree that keeping the door frames (the arches going from A to C) would take away much of the convertibleness...
How would it be to leave the Bs in with corresponding cross arch? Would provide for rigidity and roll-cage functionality... but can that look nice too? We need djromain drawings ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I also found this rendition of the concept I/we are after for an Audi A7... but is it doable like that? Would we need to sacrifise the hatch-back ? Does it matter?
So many questions... :confused:
View attachment 26086

That concept is EXACTLY the same as a current 3 Series (Now 4 Series) except adding the back doors. I would think it is totally doable.....

You're absolutely right! I had not realises and thought BMs was a 2 piece roof... nope, it's 3...
But adding the rear doors, then they other hinge on a shortened B pillar or in the C and open like in the RX8 above... right?

I don't think so because the roof panels actually sit in that portion of the fender above the wheel when the top is open. So the top and the doors would be occupying the same space :( LOL This would be bad !! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

And with full doors would that not just be suicide doors ?

- - - Updated - - -

You can see where the panels open from this picture.
vw_eos_available_at_volkswagen_of_naples_wallpaper-normal 1.jpg

Last edited:
I see...
And if TESLA kept the hatch back? Rear doors could then still hinge on the C-pillars, would still allow great rear cargo volume even with top down, rear facing seat with top up...
I think it would look quite nice (from my crappy "paint" trials I won't share)...