Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KERS regen in F1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Flywheel Batteries to Power F1 | Green Car .com

kers-system.jpg

I don't really understand the logic.

Mosely expressed his feeling that the electrical systems, which are similar in principal to those used on road-going hybrids, should be banned from F1 in favor of purely mechanical systems. Mosely feels the battery technology available right now, primarily lithium ion, is unsuitable for the demands of F1 racing.

I can understand the opinion of "I think a flywheel will work better." But not "ban batteries!" If a battery system does not work as well, that team loses, right? Why an outright ban?

It's taken 10 races, but: BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Hamilton seals first win of 2009

So not only did a hybrid F1 car finally come first, but Ferrari managed to bring theirs in second too.

Given the limited testing they are allowed to do, it could be said that getting it to the front in under 6 months is a fair achievement. How ironic that it comes just over a month after: BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Teams agree to scrap Kers system

I've always wondered why they had this arbitrary 6.6 second per lap limit on how much it could be used. Given that any team was allowed to use it, it seems to me fair that it should have been on all the time.

The Canadian Press: F1 teams set to agree to re-introduction of KERS energy boost in 2011

Formula One teams are in broad agreement about a return of the KERS power boost system for 2011, though the device needs to become cheaper so that smaller teams can afford it.

Team principals met with Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone at this weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix to discuss possible regulation changes. The reintroduction of KERS was high on the agenda for 2011.

"There's general agreement it should have a place in Formula One," Williams team principal Sir Frank Williams said Saturday.

It needs to be cheaper for the smaller teams (like Lotus). Anyone fancy stepping up to the challenge? :wink:

EDIT: Interesting article - KERS must perform for F1 return

Mercedes GP team principal Ross Brawn reckoned it vital that the power output was upped - with talk already that any return will allow at least double the storage opportunity that was allowed in 2009.

Lotus, Mercedes, Force India and even McLaren... There are a few opportunities here on the face of it.

Last edited: