Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled Over By A State Trooper!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning, on the way to work, I was pulled over by a Virginia State Trooper.

Why?

He wanted a ride in the Tesla.

OK, so he didn't use his lights and sirens (that would be illegal)...but he quickly pulled up next to me on a 4-lane divided highway and matched my speed. I looked over, and he was trying to talk to me. I rolled the window down, and couldn't hear him over the wind noise (I was going 57 mph). I motioned to him that I'd pull onto a side street.

He parked behind me and walked up to the car, as if it were a traffic stop. I heard him call out "I just wanted to see the car!". I showed him the touchscreen, door handles, frunk/trunk, and then he said "man, wish I could go for a ride but I'm on duty."
I said he was welcome to hop in. He did.

We went for a 1 mile joyride up and down Route 17. He even let me floor it. (I asked if I'd get in trouble--he said "naw, I won't write you a ticket--just don't crash!").

He loved it. Kept saying the car was so cool. Knew all about it--had been watching a bunch of Youtube videos on it...even knew about the Roadster and the Model X. (A rarity here in Virginia).

He said he'd probably never be able to afford it, but would choose it over a Ferrari.

THAT never happened in my previous car...

It's an abusive power. It's also theft of his salary. He is on duty and has no business taking a joy ride while on duty. He was also unavailable to protect and serve while on that joy ride. Someone could have had an emergency. It's not funny at all.

It's an abusive power. It's also theft of his salary. He is on duty and has no business taking a joy ride while on duty. He was also unavailable to protect and serve while on that joy ride. Someone could have had an emergency. It's not funny at all.

It took all of 8 minutes. He had his radio with him. He was never more than a half mile from his car. He was not patrolling at the time, but was headed somewhere (don't know where).

If the trooper had stopped at a convenience store and gone inside to buy a drink, or had stopped to gas up his car, or had to pinch a loaf, it would have taken at least as long or longer. Is that an abuse of power or theft of salary?

No abuse of power at all. He didn't use lights or sirens--but got my attention without them. So I don't see where power is being abused...

Wonder if your time here on TMC writing this comment was abuse of an internet connection provided by your employer to do your work and theft of your salary.

It took all of 8 minutes. He had his radio with him. He was never more than a half mile from his car. He was not patrolling at the time, but was headed somewhere (don't know where).

If the trooper had stopped at a convenience store and gone inside to buy a drink, or had stopped to gas up his car, or had to pinch a loaf, it would have taken at least as long or longer. Is that an abuse of power or theft of salary?

No abuse of power at all. He didn't use lights or sirens--but got my attention without them. So I don't see where power is being abused...

You were on your way to work. You were not speeding. You were a citizen minding your own business. He flagged you down from a marked patrol vehicle. He left his vehicle and went with you. Officers have been fired for less. It's an abuse of power. Also, hundreds of emergencies happen in the United States every 10 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if your time here on TMC writing this comment was abuse of an internet connection provided by your employer to do your work and theft of your salary.

It's my office. No one is perfect. He was a police officer on duty. He left his patrol car. I cannot see how anyone would think that is appropriate. He pulled over someone for no reason.

You were on your way to work. You were not speeding. You were a citizen minding your own business. He flagged you down from a marked patrol vehicle. He left his vehicle and went with you. Officers have been fired for less. It's an abuse of power. Also, hundreds of emergencies happen in the United States every 10 minutes.

Let me be clear: I did not stop because he MADE me stop. I stopped because he wanted to see the car, and I wanted to show it to him!

I didn't know police officers weren't allowed to leave their patrol car!

vfx said:
Maybe he patrolled extra during his lunch hour.

Tesla comp time!

Post of the day!

I kind of agree with rlawson4 here. I would have said it differently, but his general point is on the mark.

@Todd - It doesn't matter (to me) as much how you reacted (or didn't) to the situation of having an officer on duty interrupt your travels for his own curiosity. Any number of things could make it an uncomfortable or dangerous situation for both the driver and for other citizens not being served at the time.

Todd, don't feed the troll.

Clever Lou. Way to take it personal. I hope you are on the way to an important meeting when you are pulled over for no reason. I am done replying to this thread. It's hard to believe how someone does not see that using their official position to bother a citizen minding their own business as a proper use of their official position. Maybe a police officer should come to your home because he wants to see it.

@rlawson4: I think you are being a little harsh on the state trooper. Obviously, Todd Burch (who was there) was not upset by this "abuse of power". Not to mention that having first responders who are familiar with Tesla Model S vehicles (and the proper ways to work with EVs in the event of an accident) is a good thing for public safety and the safety of the first responders.

Clever Lou. Way to take it personal. I hope you are on the way to an important meeting when you are pulled over for no reason. I am done replying to this thread. It's hard to believe how someone does not see that using their official position to bother a citizen minding their own business as a proper use of their official position. Maybe a police officer should come to your home because he wants to see it.

I think your overreacting more than just a bit here. He wasn't "pulled over", he could have told the Trooper that he was late for a meeting and he could have continued on his day but he chose to pull off the road because he was interested in showing his car to someone who was interested. Should he have gone for the ride? Depends on a number of factors that neither you nor I are aware of. Your making assumptions based off of incomplete information. I get a feeling your a little anti-LEO, simply based on your reaction and the end of the post I'm quoting. See... I just made an assumption with incomplete information.

I hardly see any "abuse" of power here.

Jeff

Not picking sides, but I think it is borderline potentially dangerous just to try to have a discussion with anyone in the next lane at 60mph.
Both drivers potentially distracted?
If this happened every time you got near a trooper?
I love Tesla time but there's a time and a place.
Had you met him in a parking lot ...