Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Revised Poll - How often have you charged away from home?

How often, per 1000 miles, have you charged your Model S/Roadster OTHER than at home?

• Never

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Supercharger only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-2 (other than SC)

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • 3-5(other than SC)

• 6-10 (other than SC)

• 10+ (other than SC)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S is our first electric. We've had it since mid october and have put about 1500 miles on it so far. What is surprising to me is that with one exception*, we've never charged it anywhere but at home; with 250-300 miles of range, charging anywhere other than at home is simply unneccessary unless you're doing a long roadtrip.

(As a side note, for the same reason I think the HPWC is overkill. A 14-50 outlet is easily enough to charge overnight, which is all we've ever needed. For what it's worth, I'd recommend everyone start with that and only spend the money upgrading if you find you really need fast charging during the day.)

My question for those who have taken delivery of a Model S or a roadster - other than charging at home, how often have you ever used another charger per 1000 miles of driving?
0 (never)
Supercharger only
1-2 times other than a supercharger
3-5 times
6-10 times
10+ times

* We lost power for 2 weeks in Hurricane Sandy. My wife figured it was better to charge at the Tesla charger at the mall and kill time shopping then spend time in line at gas stations, with the other benefit being that she could keep driving her favorite car.

NOTE: Revised poll to include Roadsters and question is now per 1000 miles of driving

Let's see... I've done a number of Roadster road trips in the 2-1/2 years I've had the car. I won't include charging at my office because it's 12 km from home and I may do the majority of my Model S charging there. To my recollection I've charged at:

Tesla Toronto 3X (70A - all different places - old downtown office, service center, and new store)
1000 Islands KOA RV campground NEMA 14-50 3X
Brother-in-law's NEMA 14-50 in Toronto 3X
CTV Toronto 110V (was on fumes!) 1X
Various Toronto downtown hotels overnight at 110V 3X
Belleville hotel at 110V 1X
Shannonville Motorsports Park Sun Country 70A, 30A, and NEMA 14-50 4X (4 different days, actually many shorter charging sessions and a few long)
Montreal Sun Country J1772 (70A) 1X
Kingston Sun Country J1772 (30A and 70A - two different hotels) 3X
Peterborough Sun Country @ Berc's Steakhouse (24A) 4X
Peterborough Sun Country @ Best Western (70A) 1X
Peterborough local business' NEMA 14-50 1X
Cobourg Sun Country J1772 @ Best Western (70A) 1X

If I've remembered everything (unlikely?) that makes 29 times in 2.5 years and 30,000 km (19,000 miles) 1.5X / 1000 miles.

I don't do gobs of long-range driving, but since getting the Roadster the majority of my trips have been electric. I can think of only 5 road trips where I used an ICE. Two of those were due to driving in upstate New York where it's an EV infrastructure wasteland. The other times I either needed a bigger car or the Roadster was put to bed for the winter.

Last edited: