Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Door Handles: My Tesla S gives me the cold shoulder when I leave it in the cold

CDN P285
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    Happens here in DFW as well. The heated door handles had better put out a lot of heat because sometimes the ice is 3-4mm thick.
    Jerry,

I did not mean to imply that the S will have heated door handles, there is no mention of this on the model S specs page... although I think it could be a very useful feature.

For that matter, heated mirrors are not listed on the specs page either...

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeps17 View Post
    For that matter, heated mirrors are not listed on the specs page either...
    At one time heated mirrors were in the tech package. I see they've removed them.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

My understanding is that the motors have enough force to pop open even iced over. Not sure if they will respond to the pressure touch to open but the double tap on the fob should break the ice off.

Quote Originally Posted by goyogi View Post
    My understanding is that the motors have enough force to pop open even iced over. Not sure if they will respond to the pressure touch to open but the double tap on the fob should break the ice off.
    Cinergi - We need a demonstration!
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    Cinergi - We need a demonstration!
    LOL, I'll park it in the cold and spray it down with water and ... oh wait, I'M NOT THAT CRAZY
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    I asked about the handles yesterday at the Tesla Gallery in Natick. The rep clearly had researched the answer: the heated handles are out, because that added one more thing to break. Instead, Tesla oomphed up the power of the motor that pops out the handles. I was told that the handles can crack through up to 8mm of ice. (One more example of using electric motor torque to good advantage.)

Blog Entries
    Sounds like they've sent the word around about that one... a Ranger told me the same thing. Sounds like a non-issue. At 8 mm thick you would have serous trouble opening the door even with the handle extended. (It's extremely rare to get that much freezing rain at once, but I did have it happen once. Took half an hour to get into the car.)
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    With my Audi A3, I've once had to crawl in through the rear hatch, as all of the doors were iced over. With the MS, I imagine that 15 minutes of preheating the cabin via the smartphone app will be very helpful with clearing the door seals of ice.

I've asked Tesla Ownership experience about this issue, and their response is that the car has been extensively tested in the cold, and no issues with the handles. Recent snowstorm in NY with 7" of snow and the car left in a lot during the storm had no issues with the handles. A suggestion would be to pick up a small butane torch ($15.00) at a Home Depot, and keep it handy. You can heat up the outer handle in pinch.
    Otherwise you can hold the key fob roof button down for 4 seconds and all the windows should roll down, and you can open the door with the inside door latch. No so great if the car is caked in snow, but beats being locked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    With my Audi A3, I've once had to crawl in through the rear hatch, as all of the doors were iced over. With the MS, I imagine that 15 minutes of preheating the cabin via the smartphone app will be very helpful with clearing the door seals of ice.
    I'm now imagining someone with the smartphone app going through all the possible openings -- if you get down to the pano roof being the one that did open, and trying to climb up on an encrusted in ice MS..

Thread Information