Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Letting your kids drive the car? (teenagers specifically)

Letting your kids drive the car? (teenagers specifically)

Are you going to let your teenager drive your Tesla? I'm letting my 16 year old son use it to drive to school occasionally, at night when he wants to go out, and during the weekend when I don't need it. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by zanderf View Post
    Are you going to let your teenager drive your Tesla? I'm letting my 16 year old son use it to drive to school occasionally, at night when he wants to go out, and during the weekend when I don't need it. Thoughts?

Amanda? Yes. Olivia? No.

Each child has their own driving style. Amanda is careful. Olivia put my John Deere up a tree once. Try that yourself and see how hard it is.

So does Olivia not drive then? You'd think you'd want your least safe driver in your safest car, no?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
    P12104, likely black, 60kwh (no supercharging), air suspension.

Thoughts?

Are you crazy?! I would wait until you'd put the first ding in it at least.

That's what (who) your OLD car is for!
    Hello, I'm Sig 957!
    VIN 748

MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891 spatterso911's Avatar
    Not a chance. When I was 16, I drove a cheap car that got me from A to B. I drove carefully cause I knew that if I wrecked it I'd have nothing...
    http://www.teslacountdown.com/modelx...891?size=small

PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Delivered: Model S - VIN 3498: Performance, Black/Black/CF; Grey 21" rims; Pano; Tech; Sound studio; Parcel Shelf; Paint armor; Twin Chargers; HPWC;

My daughter turns 16 in January. Once the car arrives I'll probably let her drive it around the neighborhood with me in it, but I'm not anticipating letting her drive it on her own unless it's an extreme situation.
    P3,339: 60 kWh, blue/gray/lacewood, 19 inch wheels, tech package, sound package, air suspension
    Delivered: February 8, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    So does Olivia not drive then? You'd think you'd want your least safe driver in your safest car, no?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
    Olivia does not drive. She will not drive until she can prove to me she understands the physics of driving, let alone gives up the passion of attaining the impossible, when it relates to physics. As for driving (from time to time), it is not a matter of the child being coccooned in a safe frame, but rather the amount of dyspepsia and chest pain her father will have when he has to leave it at a body shop for a few weeks - or even worse, wrapped around a tree that has the markings of John Deere differentials on it.

No way. I remember what i did when I was 17. 125mph+, drinking, etc. My parents got me my own car for all these reasons. Fortunately, it was different times and nothing happened. The roads are more dangerous today, and a 16, 17 year old just does not have the experience to deal with all that arises. That is why you get them their own car; a car with all the safety features like airbags, antilock breaks, traction control, etc., but which lacks the raw power of a Tesla.

My son does not drive my MB sports car, nor does he want to. He is a safe driver (in that he does not take risks) but drives too fast (in my opinion). He is still wet behind the collar to be trusted driving a car like the model S. Too much power for an inexperienced driver.

"when handing your car keys to your kid, be sure that either the car or the kid are old enough."

The first car i drove had 40hp. I'm not sure I would be still around if it had 400. Model S would be great when having a PIN-secured "teen" mode with limited top speed, acceleration, and distance from home.

Thread Information