Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powertrain fault 972

Powertrain fault 972

Sorry the title should have read Roadster Dead, Powertrain fault 972

Has anyone heard of a power train fault 972? The roadster had been running great and took it to a car show Saturday and Plug_In day Sunday. But today after I charged in range mode to head out on a 500 mile road trip to the EVCCON (Electric Vehicle Conversion Convention) I got the fault. The car died about 12 times. I can restart but then can only drive from 200 yards to 1/2 mile when it faults and dies again.

Just uploaded the logs to Tesla but they are not giving much hope of an easy fix.
    Last edited by dhrivnak; 2012-09-25 at 08:25 PM.

It appears to be an accelerator pedal error. Tesla suggested a tighten a ground and it seems to be working. Actually they suggested sending a ranger but being 400 from tbe nearest center is not quick or easy.

Blog Entries
    Okay that is reassuring. It detected the fault and prevented a potentially unsafe condition.

FYI, the pedal has two potentiometers, one goes up in resistance when you press the pedal, and the other down. If they don't both translate to the same requested speed then it causes an error. It's a very safe system.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Not really in my opinion as when it faults the motor shuts off. I got stuck in the middle of an intersection. Fortunately there was no traffic. But so far so good as I am 200 miles into my trip and charging for the night.

I must give credit to Tesla for jumping on the logs and pointing me to tbe ground. The ground couriously enough is under the hood passinger side below the fat orange wires. I had to remove a shroud which was easy to reach the 13mm bolt. Will try to post picture when i return
    Last edited by dhrivnak; 2012-09-25 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dhrivnak View Post
    Not really in my opinion as when it faults the motor shuts off. I got stuck in the middle of an intersection. Fortunately there was no traffic. But so far so good as I am 200 miles into my trip and charging for the night.
    Glad it didn't end your trip. Can you give us more info on how you fixed it? Where was the loose ground connection?

Wow i am quite impressed with Tesla's service. They called and texted me to see if all is OK. Fortunately it is and I have gone 310 miles and am charging at KFC where they have 3 level 2 chargers. Now for tbe last 190 miles.

Blog Entries
    Good to hear it was something simple and that you're on the road.

When you get back, think about writing up a short post on your service experience over here: Actual-Service-Experiences-with-Tesla

Items for Sale
    I think Doug was referring to "safe" as in safe from runaway type events i.e. uncontrolled acceleration.
    Member Southern Ontario Tesla Owners Club

Maybe a better reaction of the car should be to limit power to a minimum so you can clear an intersection of get to a safe place when on a highway or freeway.

Blog Entries
    I really don't think so. The car must be designed, and is designed, to prevent any possibility of runaway throttle. I'd far rather have the car stall out on me at a bad time than take any risk of the throttle being stuck at even partial power.

Years ago in an old gasser I experienced a stuck throttle at freeway speeds and in fairly heavy traffic. In the time it took me to figure out what was happening and do something about it the car accelerated quite a bit. Luckily I spotted an empty off-ramp and dodged over to it through a hole in the traffic. It could easily have caused a serious accident.

Now imagine doing that in a Roadster. Yikes!!! I'll take a stalled car any day!
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Thread Information