Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S 85D Story. Ordering to Delivery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Running out of patience, not knowing anything about the car, I called the 800 number and spoke with Alisia

What 800 number did you call? I'm not sure I can stand this complete radio silence anymore. It's been almost two days since I basically paid almost $50k for something I've never seen live and not a single email from them. Both David and Johnny are ignoring my emails :mad:

Reactions: rafacq
When I bought my used Model S, I was convinced the sales advisor was some made up person. I received an initial 'thank you for your order' email from him and didn't hear from him again despite multiple calls (full voicemail) and unreturned emails. About a week later he called me out of the blue to let me know the delivery advisor would be setting up delivery of the car and I was shocked that he was an actual real person.

He caught me so off guard, I didn't have my list of questions ready and had to ask him to wait on the phone while I got the list.

I'm sure you will hear something soon.

Right, so at least we have something. Got an email from another sales advisor (looped in by my initial guy). Looks like it'll be quite some time until it gets here. I'll do my best to be patient and wait. Hopefully I'll have some more news in a week or so.

This is what she said today:
Currently, your Model S is in our main holding lot in the Bay Area and it will be transported to central California before it makes it way to Dallas. Generally, the long moves out of state take around 4- 6 days to be picked up, but once its picked up, it will move quickly—it takes longer to assign a transporter than the actual transport itself.

I know, I can't complain too much since I did choose to have them ship it here :)

About a month seems to be the norm.

If I get my delivery set up anytime over the next 2 weeks, I'll be happy. I do hope they'd ship it before thanksgiving but I'm not expecting much...

Reading all this makes me so grateful I decided to fly to California where my car was, take delivery there and drive the car back. I would have "died" from all the stress if I had to wait another 3-4 weeks! No way! Hope things move quickly for you.

Reactions: cucubits
Turns out it's not that bad. Got a new update today. Good news.

We made some changes in transport so we can get your Model S to Dallas more quickly. Instead of sending it to Southern California before getting picked up, we are going to send it to Fremont tonight/tomorrow morning and we will then have it moved straight to Dallas.

We should be receiving an ETA to Dallas on Friday or Saturday and I will send that along to you as soon as I receive it.

The "new" delivery advisor seems to be moving things along.

What 800 number did you call? I'm not sure I can stand this complete radio silence anymore. It's been almost two days since I basically paid almost $50k for something I've never seen live and not a single email from them. Both David and Johnny are ignoring my emails :mad:

I am so sorry, that was back at the end of March! I no longer have the call history on my phone! I will try to see if I wrote the number somewhere, but not sure if I will be successfull!.
Turns out it's not that bad. Got a new update today. Good news.

We made some changes in transport so we can get your Model S to Dallas more quickly. Instead of sending it to Southern California before getting picked up, we are going to send it to Fremont tonight/tomorrow morning and we will then have it moved straight to Dallas.

We should be receiving an ETA to Dallas on Friday or Saturday and I will send that along to you as soon as I receive it.

The "new" delivery advisor seems to be moving things along.

Good, I just sent you a private conversation.

Day #21 since placing my order.
Last communication from Tesla was from last week when they told me it's scheduled for pickup from Fremont on Sunday. I was trying to find out today if it was indeed picked up and it's on the way but again radio silence so far.

This reminds me of those daily diaries in horror movies where the author loses a bit of sanity as every day goes by :D

Good news! My delivery advisor tells me it's en route, presently around San Diego area with an ETA in Dallas on Dec 1st. Tentative delivery date is next Tuesday.

I think I'm going to stalk the service center parking lot on Sunday :D

I did drive by the service center parking lot yesterday but I haven't found the car. I couldn't get close enough to check all the red ones so it may have been there, but I didn't want to stick around too long :)

Good news is that my delivery advisor just emailed that the car is indeed here and we can set the delivery day to Wednesday. These will be the longest two days. On the other hand, I'll keep myself busy deciding on the usual accessories (dashcam, radar detector and probably a good extension cord for the 110v outlet in the garage).

Also need to compile a good checklist since I'll be going alone, I need to have something to keep me checking everything possible. Any tips here are appreciated. I know there's a lot of these lists around but I do need to keep in mind what I have to check and what I don't (normal wear and tear, I can't ask them to fix).

I saw mentioned above that the delivery fee was waived for someone. Wonder how this works. In my case the $2k fee kept appearing and disappearing from my Tesla account so I asked and she told me today that they had some glitches lately and that while she wishes she could take it off, she can't. No biggie, I knew I'd have to pay, but it would have been cool to have it gone...

Last edited:
These will be the longest two days. On the other hand, I'll keep myself busy deciding on the usual accessories (dashcam, radar detector and probably a good extension cord for the 110v outlet in the garage).

Regarding the use of a 110v outlet to charge the car. It is very very slow! About 3 miles added per hour. My suggestion, before you spend any money in any accessories, get a NEMA-1450 outlet (40A breaker) installed in your garage, that way you will be able to use the mobile charger that comes with the car to add about 30 miles charge per hour. Believe me, it will be well spent money, unless you plan to purchase a Tesla Wall Charger ($500) and have an electrician install it.

Congratulations. Looking forward to photos and hear how delivery goes.

Ralph

Reactions: cucubits
I just assumed my delivery fee was waived because it was past 30 days. Bring a laptop or a nintendo switch, i was waiting for a while. My SC is super busy all the time.
Make sure all the handles present themselves, put car in reverse to ensure backup cam works if you have one. Make sure they give you the correct adapter(s) to the mobile connector. They are supposed to give you the J1772 adapter, make sure it is the right Gen for your car, they gave me a Gen-2 and it doesnt work with mine. Other than that, enjoy it.

• Helpful
Reactions: rafacq and cucubits
They are supposed to give you the J1772 adapter, make sure it is the right Gen for your car, they gave me a Gen-2 and it doesnt work with mine. Other than that, enjoy it

How can I tell which is gen1 and 2? I'm assuming there won't be a way to test charging with this adapter at the service center. This is 2016 facelift S, if it helps identify which is needed.

Also, besides the mobile connector and this J1772, are they supposed to give me some of the regular Nema adapters? Is there a list somewhere with what's supposed to be included with the car?