Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 V battery pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been some questions about where the 12V battery is. Here are three pictures that I believe were posted elsewhere on this site some time ago. I cannot remember which thread or to whom to give credit. I hope the person who took them does not mind that they are reposted here. Any other pictures people have of the 12V battery would be appreciated.

Battery closeup.jpg
Battery right firewall.jpg
Battery side view.jpg

Can someone tell me what this battery is for? The electronics, as a backup, or main powersource for the electronics? Thanks, Mark.
It maintains power for critical systems in the event the main battery is damaged/disabled like in an accident. It powers hazard lights, airbags, door lock/unlock, etc. In the Roadster it's also what listens for the key fob to unlock the doors and powers the 3G connection for remote access whenever the car is powered down.

I've been asking lots of questions about this, so this is great info. I noticed that the 12v outlet and USB outlets in my Model S never turn off, even if I press the "Power Off" button on the display. I was worried if this was going to kill a 12v battery since I was leaving my USB key (which has an LED on it) and cell phone plugged into it at night. Hadn't gotten clear answers but looks like this is what it's connected to.

There have been some questions about where the 12V battery is. Here are three pictures that I believe were posted elsewhere on this site some time ago. I cannot remember which thread or to whom to give credit. I hope the person who took them does not mind that they are reposted here. Any other pictures people have of the 12V battery would be appreciated.
Those are my photos. I'm just curious where you found them.
You can see them on Flickr (and at higher resolution) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26339101@N07/6203996807/in/set-72157627678175337/

Has anyone yet been able to get the size (physical dimensions ) and specs (output/capacity, etc) for the 12 V battery that comes with the Model S? I know that Optima is now making a battery designed for the Prius. Wondering if their yellow tops would offer any advantages for a Model S?

The design for the Prius amounts to changing the terminals to JIS standard from SAE (JIS has smaller diameter terminals). There is nothing else Prius specific that I'm aware of. Also Optima doesn't have the best reputation since they changed owners and switched production to Mexico. I'd look at Odyssey batteries, they have a better quality reputation.

Has anyone yet been able to get the size (physical dimensions ) and specs (output/capacity, etc) for the 12 V battery that comes with the Model S? I know that Optima is now making a battery designed for the Prius. Wondering if their yellow tops would offer any advantages for a Model S?

Any specs or input would be welcome.

Cheers.

I was thinking something similar. But considering the hassle to actually get to the battery, don't bother. (ask TM service)

Besides there are remote charging lugs mounted somewhere... (don't even ask me!)

Do yourself a favor and never ever by an options battery. Go so by your local Batteries Plus Bulbs store and pickup an X2 Power or Odyssey battery. There is a reason that they no longer carry optima in store.

- - - Updated - - -

Do yourself a favor and never ever by an options battery. Go so by your local Batteries Plus Bulbs store and pickup an X2 Power or Odyssey battery. There is a reason that they no longer carry optima in store.

Excuse me. Optima not options. Autocorrect :/

I was also going to ask about just using a Yellow Top. I have one in my 2009 Tahoe, and 5 years later it still works just fine. the OEM one (replaced twice) couldn't power the radio while I washed/dryed the vehicle. and would result in a nostart after an hour or two of music. The yellow top will run the radio (sat nav) all damn day, then start right up!

I'm still saving my pennies for an S though...

I have had very good luck with optimas. I have them in all of my ICE vehicles (2 diesel trucks). They have been working reliably for many years, keeping the trucks starting even in the dead of winter. Just don't let them run dead. If you do, you have to blast them with a high power 12volt booster/charger to get them to take a charge again.