Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 V battery pictures

12 V battery pictures

There have been some questions about where the 12V battery is. Here are three pictures that I believe were posted elsewhere on this site some time ago. I cannot remember which thread or to whom to give credit. I hope the person who took them does not mind that they are reposted here. Any other pictures people have of the 12V battery would be appreciated.

Name:  Battery closeup.jpg
Views: 3850
Size:  52.0 KBName:  Battery right firewall.jpg
Views: 4382
Size:  61.3 KBName:  Battery side view.jpg
Views: 3672
Size:  31.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Could you see what size and brand it was?
    How accessible for changing it out (by owner) is it?
    Evan E. Fusco, MD--Nixa, MO
    Model S R77/VIN-1267-- Black 85kWh (non-perf), Tech, Lacewood trim, tan interior, Sound Studio, Air Suspension, 19" rims, twin chargers, HPWC
    Model X Reservation Sequence # 5966 (for the wife)

Can someone tell me what this battery is for? The electronics, as a backup, or main powersource for the electronics? Thanks, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by efusco View Post
    Could you see what size and brand it was?
    How accessible for changing it out (by owner) is it?
    Also, it looks like a sealed lead acid battery as opposed to the typical flooded cell automotive battery. Is that the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Seegem View Post
    Can someone tell me what this battery is for? The electronics, as a backup, or main powersource for the electronics? Thanks, Mark.
    It maintains power for critical systems in the event the main battery is damaged/disabled like in an accident. It powers hazard lights, airbags, door lock/unlock, etc. In the Roadster it's also what listens for the key fob to unlock the doors and powers the 3G connection for remote access whenever the car is powered down.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

4GETOIL SS70, XS4, xR913 dadaleus's Avatar
    I've been asking lots of questions about this, so this is great info. I noticed that the 12v outlet and USB outlets in my Model S never turn off, even if I press the "Power Off" button on the display. I was worried if this was going to kill a 12v battery since I was leaving my USB key (which has an LED on it) and cell phone plugged into it at night. Hadn't gotten clear answers but looks like this is what it's connected to.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddruz View Post
    There have been some questions about where the 12V battery is. Here are three pictures that I believe were posted elsewhere on this site some time ago. I cannot remember which thread or to whom to give credit. I hope the person who took them does not mind that they are reposted here. Any other pictures people have of the 12V battery would be appreciated.
    Those are my photos. I'm just curious where you found them.
    You can see them on Flickr (and at higher resolution) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2633910...7627678175337/

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Those are my photos. I'm just curious where you found them.
    You can see them on Flickr (and at higher resolution) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2633910...7627678175337/
    Hi doug, Glad to find out to whom the credit belongs for the photos. I got them through this site some time back, thought they were excellent so saved them for future reference.

Has anyone yet been able to get the size (physical dimensions ) and specs (output/capacity, etc) for the 12 V battery that comes with the Model S? I know that Optima is now making a battery designed for the Prius. Wondering if their yellow tops would offer any advantages for a Model S?

Any specs or input would be welcome.

Cheers.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceilidh View Post
    Has anyone yet been able to get the size (physical dimensions ) and specs (output/capacity, etc) for the 12 V battery that comes with the Model S? I know that Optima is now making a battery designed for the Prius. Wondering if their yellow tops would offer any advantages for a Model S?
    The design for the Prius amounts to changing the terminals to JIS standard from SAE (JIS has smaller diameter terminals). There is nothing else Prius specific that I'm aware of. Also Optima doesn't have the best reputation since they changed owners and switched production to Mexico. I'd look at Odyssey batteries, they have a better quality reputation.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Thread Information