Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Model S 85D - HV Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 MS 85D - 92k miles, and got the dreaded BMS_u018 code and won't start without a jump to the 12v. Can't drive it but can put it in tow mode. I still owe money on it (bought used almost 4 years ago) and got the offer from Tesla to transfer FUSC to a new vehicle if I take delivery by EOY.

I'm in a bind - I've got a quote from @Recell for a battery replacement/upgrade, I tried to reach out to @wk057 but haven't gotten a response, and Tesla wants $16k for a like-for-like replacement. I asked about trading as-is, they said if it drives in, sure they'll honor the online trade-in value, but if it doesn't drive, they can't. The problem is the same either way - needs a new HV battery.

What's the best course of action here? I could try to sell it outright, too, but I would still love to have an EV like a Tesla, and that FUSC is very nice and I wouldn't sell it with the car unless I'm trading to Tesla.

Reactions: Raroia
Sorry to hear - I’m worried this will be me in about a month. My battery warranty ends in December on my 2015 MS 85D. It’s been great so far minus the battery capacity - it’s degraded significantly from 265 miles with ~44k miles in 2019 to now only 202 miles with ~78k miles at 100% charge (this is after even trying to “calibrate” the BMS).

If it were me and I was planning on selling it within a couple years, I would find the lowest price option to replace or repair the battery.

If I was planning on keeping it for more than a couple years, I would probably roll the dice with a Tesla refurbished battery replacement and hope to get a new 90 kWh pack that’s just software capped.

If you want to guarantee to a new battery pack, I’ve read folks mentioning being quoted ~$22k or so, which is a lot considering that’s about how much the car is worth (more than a trade-in, probably about private party value).

@shred86 makes great suggestions. To add :

Your 018 alert solution will likely depend on what you want to do with your car and your personal finances. My advice, and I'm just one person, is based on personally talking with hundreds of folks and my own experience. I don't profess to be the expert. So, unless you're mechanically inclined and comfortable around higher voltage - (1) If you love the car and want to keep it less than 3 years, either get a remanufactured pack replacement or fix of your current pack for $7k-$15k USD, (2) if you like your car and want to keep it for more than 3 years then get new pack from Tesla for $20k, (3) If you're done with Tesla and just want to walk away, sell your car for $7k-10k with known 018 alert. If you are mechanically inclined, then you can swap packs or attempt to repair your existing pack.

Lastly, several folks have done the FUSC transfer (remember that free unilimited CONNECTIVITY does not transfer, it stays with the old car). Those I've talked to have typically kept the old car and now have time to deal with the 018 alert concern

Last edited:
$10k USD - That seems to be the current market rate for an 85 kWh used/reman/salvage replacement pack that gives the owner a rated range of around 240 miles. Just the pack. Labor, taxes, and warranty (explained below) are extra.

$10k includes Tesla, 3rd party professionals and salvage yards. Tesla bundles in a 4 year/50k mile warranty while others offer warranties at an extra cost. Each year of warranty seems to range from $1250-$1500/year. e.g. Tesla's basic $15k=$10k pack + (4) x $1250 warranty. Of course, Tesla does not break things down like this, but based on 3rd party warranty fees, a reasonable comparison.

So your decision around that magic $10k number for a 85 kWh used/reman/salvage replacement pack revolves around warranty and convenience of location/time.

Note: aforementioned is for 240ish rated range. @Recell has a 210ish mile reman pack for less than $10k. If desired, their 2 year/25k mile warranty is extra.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: maximizese