Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’re looking for 5-10 seconds you’re not paying attention to the road
Not necessarily; one can examine the screen for a couple of seconds, quickly scan the road for any surprises without moving one's head, and continue with the screen task. Granted, it's less safe than always keeping eyes on the road, but given road conditions that are fairly inert I believe a decent driver can reasonably make that judgment call.

Reactions: LSDTester#1
Not necessarily; one can examine the screen for a couple of seconds, quickly scan the road for any surprises without moving one's head, and continue with the screen task. Granted, it's less safe than always keeping eyes on the road, but given road conditions that are fairly inert I believe a decent driver can reasonably make that judgment call.
Yea I do this when there’s not any cars around I have a lot of empty roads around here

The thing is since version 12 FSD I haven’t been getting steering nags even though I wear sunglasses. I do keep my hands on the wheel most of the time, lifting them up when the car turns the wheel.

Before FSD I was frequently admonished to apply some torque even though my hands were on the wheel. I guess if the camera now sees that my hands are on the wheel it doesn’t nag with FSD.

I have to wear sunglasses. Sunlight is super bright down here and I only drive during the day.

I have the front dash display so I rarely have to glance over at the screen.

If you’re switching your gaze between the screen and the road then you’re not looking at the screen for 5-10 seconds.

More importantly, the data show that decent drivers are decidedly not decent at gauging their level of distraction.

Got this error message today. I guess I really pushed FSDs. I need the AI team here now to test and train this out.

Maneuver aborted due to system error

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

IMG_0113.jpeg

IMG_0114.jpeg

IMG_0115.jpeg

IMG_0118.jpeg

IMG_0119.jpeg

IMG_0121.jpeg

That and you can turn your head and look out the driver's window for more than 30 seconds without it caring, totally ignoring what is in front of you, but god help you look at the screen for 7 seconds and you start getting nagged, and a few more seconds and you get a strike. Completely silly.

You not OG.. that is what I am referring to. If you had V10.2 or earlier, your OG
I get it the day after Chuck and Omar 100% of the time so far
I don't get it a day after Omar/Chuck.

There is some variability even for the OG.

In other news - now I have a new peculiar problem. Near my home where the shoulder is big and the line faded, FSD has decided to drive on the shoulder! New with 12.3.6, I guess (though I don't remember this happening soon after getting 3.6).

No. Not before Omar or even AI Driver, but before Chuck, Dirty, Black Tesla, and other influencers.

As stated before, I received it when the original California rollout started, day 1. As far as I could tell, I was one of the few non-employees outside of California to get it.

V12 was different because it was mostly in California to start, with some special exceptions. I hope that is maintained (selfishly).
Chuck got on Elon's $hit list a while back for an X post. He is slowly crawling back up to the top.
Chris (@DirtyT3sla ) changed cars. He still seems to be near the top. Omar is the litmus test for releases, not credibility. He lives in Shill City. Count how many days you get it after him). With the exception of the V12 initial rollout, he got it with employee's, way before everyone)
Black Tesla is a nobody and I can't stand watching him. He constantly hits the go pedal during video's due to his impatience, which ruins the video. I never would subscribe to him.

Reactions: LSDTester#1
If you don't get another strike in that week.

I think this is a very good improvement, as it should eliminate the problem of getting to 4 strikes, and then even after weeks of no strikes hitting a 5th and loosing FSDs for a week.
Highly theoretical of course, as gross negligence or shocking lack of attention to what the car is telling you is required to get even one strike. So getting even close to five seems to be sort of a lifetime limit!

I don’t even know how it happens to people with the latest software. They must be just on their phone the whole time, I guess? Or admiring the scenery, not a care in the world.

Anyway, it's good that in a theoretical world the strikes can be eliminated without any loss of use.

If you’re looking for 5-10 seconds you’re not paying attention to the road

I do wonder whether Tesla internally has a test case to test any of these nag systems (specifically their timing and behavior) against the Jeremy Banner case. It seems important to make sure the system would warn in time when emulating that case. I guess that could be the reason for the pickiness when first engaging FSD, that could cover that case.

That and you can turn your head and look out the driver's window for more than 30 seconds without it caring, totally ignoring what is in front of you, but god help you look at the screen for 7 seconds and you start getting nagged, and a few more seconds and you get a strike.
Is this true? Admittedly I haven't tested it. I do know that the screen nag is there (and pretty reasonable now). But perhaps someone has exhaustively tested it in a video or something. Of course, this (looking out the side of the car) is likely less of an issue of concern - I imagine they are super sensitive to diversion of eyes to the screen or the lap (phone). And having some latitude for looking out the side of the car probably reduces false positives due to driver's scanning the road left or right when making unprotected turns, etc. It makes quite a lot of sense, actually. Obviously it would be better to be contextual (and perhaps it is) - hopefully the threshold for looking out the side of the car is significantly lower when traveling 40-50mph on a road. It should even be aware of which way you are turning and ensure you are looking the correct direction and scanning both directions properly, periodically.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
If the cabin camera can't see your eyes, makes sense to default back to the steering nag. I think a lot of people saw the tweet about the steering nag removal and got super excited thinking it was absolute instead of only under the right conditions. Assuming it works as intended, this is a big step forward in my opinion and will happily not wear sunglasses or find some with only a light tint so the car can stare deeply into my eyes just like a Jane Austen novel.

The question ultimately will be how sensitive and how quickly the cabin camera triggers a nag based on where you are looking. While I haven't personally experienced it, have seen many others complain that it only takes a few seconds of looking at the screen to trigger a nag. What I wonder though is if that triggers much faster when it sees your hand going towards the screen instead of just your eyes looking at the screen for traffic visualization or something else. If so, this is when pressing the mic button and using voice commands may work better. Certainly something to test.

The rate of new releases and speed of progress on FSD however is extremely exciting.
I have transitional contacts I use for golfing. Two years ago I went with normal contacts and used sunglasses. A big reason was fewer nags from the car.

Time to go back to transitional contacts I guess 😀

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I don’t even know how it happens to people with the latest software. They must be just on their phone the whole time, I guess? Or admiring the scenery, not a care in the world.
You can look out at the scenery for any length of time no problem. Spend ~10 seconds trying to adjust your route and you get a strike. (Even if you are providing torque on the steering wheel.) If after ~7 seconds you get the warning to pay attention and you provide torque and look forward for a bit and then look back at the screen for even a couple seconds and bang instant strike.

I don't get it a day after Omar/Chuck.

There is some variability even for the OG.

In other news - now I have a new peculiar problem. Near my home where the shoulder is big and the line faded, FSD has decided to drive on the shoulder! New with 12.3.6, I guess (though I don't remember this happening soon after getting 3.6).
Wait a sec... did someone tell you that you are OG??? Stop hanging with Omar, he is not a good source of information !! ;)😅