Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cyber(nota)truck even more Not a truck than I first thought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You understand that the F150L and the CT have the same towing range? Same with the Rivian. Similar charging curves, similar range, similar off-road performance for all 3.

Yes, many KNEW Tesla would beat them, but because it's the same it's now less of a truck?

Sure.
Even though on paper, the Rivian and Lightening are similar, Tesla is in this for profit. In one year from now, Tesla will turn a large profit on each unit, the Lightening will be a huge loss still, and years after Rivian started they will be lucky to break even on each unit. Still think they are losing $30,000 per Rivian truck.

Tesla is beating everyone where it actually counts in the EV industry and that is $$$.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Even though on paper, the Rivian and Lightening are similar, Tesla is in this for profit. In one year from now, Tesla will turn a large profit on each unit, the Lightening will be a huge loss still, and years after Rivian started they will be lucky to break even on each unit. Still think they are losing $30,000 per Rivian truck.

Tesla is beating everyone where it actually counts in the EV industry and that is $$$.

This is what it’s all about for the Fan Boys, “Profit” for their stock. It’s why they will buy this excuse of a “truck”…..

It’s hilarious that it’s living “rent free” in haters minds, but over the last 4 years their target has been the F-150, that was living “rent free” in their minds since the Tesla pulling stunt…. And now, it’s just a mid pack Dud….

The goal post have shifted …. It’s not going after the Best selling car in America, now it’s just going after a Trim of the Best selling car in America……. “Rent free”

Reactions: lafrisbee
This is what it’s all about for the Fan Boys, “Profit” for their stock. It’s why they will buy this excuse of a “truck”…..
Or it could be exactly what someone wants. People pay huge money for Ford Raptors F150. The cheapest one around me is $100,000 with a $15,000 markup.

I don't care if you think it is a truck, but it fits all my needs. I can tow a boat 80 miles roundtrip to my lake and I can use it for my home renovation needs. I do lots of remodeling and my Model Y can't handle my needs. Family trips are fine in California with the Supercharger Network. Our family trips are 600 mile round trips to visit in-laws and this will be fine for us.

I know people want a $50,000 truck like what was advertised, but some of the loaded RAV4 can reach that price these days. My house is worth double since the Cybertruck was announced. :p

I am buying the Cybertruck because it fits all my needs as a vehicle and will do the truck things I need to use it for. I am paying the premium because I want it now and it will be popular. When the $80,000 model comes out with the $7500 tax credit, it will be years before they can satisfy the demand. I get a vehicle I like the look of, with the acceleration of a sports car, and the fuel cost of a Prius with my solar system and net metering. If you hate the truck or whatever you want to call it, that is fine. Just don't buy it. I don't understand why people are so upset. Just vote with your wallet.

Or it could be exactly what someone wants. People pay huge money for Ford Raptors F150. The cheapest one around me is $100,000 with a $15,000 markup.

I don't care if you think it is a truck, but it fits all my needs. I can tow a boat 80 miles roundtrip to my lake and I can use it for my home renovation needs. I do lots of remodeling and my Model Y can't handle my needs. Family trips are fine in California with the Supercharger Network. Our family trips are 600 mile round trips to visit in-laws and this will be fine for us.

I know people want a $50,000 truck like what was advertised, but some of the loaded RAV4 can reach that price these days. My house is worth double since the Cybertruck was announced. :p

I am buying the Cybertruck because it fits all my needs as a vehicle and will do the truck things I need to use it for. I am paying the premium because I want it now and it will be popular. When the $80,000 model comes out with the $7500 tax credit, it will be years before they can satisfy the demand. I get a vehicle I like the look of, with the acceleration of a sports car, and the fuel cost of a Prius with my solar system and net metering. If you hate the truck or whatever you want to call it, that is fine. Just don't buy it. I don't understand why people are so upset. Just vote with your wallet.

People are upset because they want the products they know Tesla can put out instead of half ass products like this one.

But you’re right, it is a losing battle. People will buy these and that’s the bottom line. If they fail to place at the top of the EV Truck market then maybe they will go back to the drawing board and put out something that isn’t mid pack.

People are upset because they want the products they know Tesla can put out instead of half ass products like this one.

But you’re right, it is a losing battle. People will buy these and that’s the bottom line. If they fail to place at the top of the EV Truck market then maybe they will go back to the drawing board and put out something that isn’t mid pack.

The US truck market is not a real truck market. The majority of people that buy F150's, buy them as a commuter car and to get groceries. To steal the "truck market" you don't really need to make a real truck. You just need to make something people want to drive.

The people upset here seem to be real truck users. This is a small minority of actual users, especially in California. In my small town, everyone owns a truck, but they don't use it as a truck. They just think it is cool and want one. the top 3 tasks for pickup trucks are shopping/errands, pleasure driving, and commuting. When asked two words to describe their truck, they said "powerful" and "rugged." People treat a F150 as a toy, so why wouldn't they like a Cybertruck?

• Love
Reactions: Krugerrand
The US truck market is not a real truck market. The majority of people that buy F150's, buy them as a commuter car and to get groceries. To steal the "truck market" you don't really need to make a real truck. You just need to make something people want to drive.

The people upset here seem to be real truck users. This is a small minority of actual users, especially in California. In my small town, everyone owns a truck, but they don't use it as a truck. They just think it is cool and want one. the top 3 tasks for pickup trucks are shopping/errands, pleasure driving, and commuting. When asked two words to describe their truck, they said "powerful" and "rugged." People treat a F150 as a toy, so why wouldn't they like a Cybertruck?

Problem is the Cybertruck isn’t half as good as the F-150. I’m not sure why people are finding hard to accept this fact.

There’s a reason the Ridgeline has minimal success as never took over the mid size truck market, it’ll be the same fate for the Cybertruck.

Don’t really need to make a real truck? Maybe for Tesla fans, but for the rest have them drive a Cybertruck vs Lightning back to back and I’m pretty sure a large percentage will take the Lightning.

Problem is the Cybertruck isn’t half as good as the F-150. I’m not sure why people are finding hard to accept this fact.
That's not a fact. I think it's dead even. There are a list of things that are better on the CT and same with the F150L.

There's a ton on the CT forum that would say the CT is far better...and equally as many Ford fanboys that would say the F150L is better.

Both suck at towing, range, charging time...it's really a wash there.

After that it just depends on what is more important. They are pretty even if you take away biases.

…water that is going to get in the rolltop panels and god knows where else)
Roll Down door.
I can’t say for certain, but if I read between the lines and interpret your implications, I come away with the distinct impression you find a bit of fault with the retractable roll top not-a-tonneau on the Cybertruck. Did I get that right? Just want to ensure I’m catching your drift as I usually have a hard time with subtle innuendo.

• Love
Reactions: lafrisbee
That's not a fact. I think it's dead even. There are a list of things that are better on the CT and same with the F150L.

There's a ton on the CT forum that would say the CT is far better...and equally as many Ford fanboys that would say the F150L is better.

Both suck at towing, range, charging time...it's really a wash there.

After that it just depends on what is more important. They are pretty even if you take away biases.

Ok let’s take away the biases. All those wash out.

Lockers? Autonomous driving? Storage? Interior space? There are other little features that might or might not be important like tailgate access.

I believe Ford F-150 drivers are more likely to try out a CT than Tesla Fanboys are an F-150. This is all due to their investment in Tesla Stock.

So as far as being “dead even” for the price, in my opinion, the Lightning just runs away with it.

The majority of people can't afford a new Truck whether it is an Electric Truck or an ICE Truck so they buy them used to tow or haul. The average age of a used car for sale is 6 years old. What will be the towing range of any Electric Truck including the Cybertruck at 5 to 7 years old? People are looking at these Electric Trucks and saying to themselves I can buy a used one in a few years a lot cheaper than I can now. But if it only has 2 to 3 hundred miles of range and can only tow 90 to 120k how will the range be in a few years?

Reactions: T3SLAROD
The majority of people can't afford a new Truck whether it is an Electric Truck or an ICE Truck so they buy them used to tow or haul. The average age of a used car for sale is 6 years old. What will be the towing range of any Electric Truck including the Cybertruck at 5 to 7 years old? People are looking at these Electric Trucks and saying to themselves I can buy a used one in a few years a lot cheaper than I can now. But if it only has 2 to 3 hundred miles of range and can only tow 90 to 120k how will the range be in a few years?

Can we assume that more of the battery pack will be available as the years go by in order to maintain the range when it was new?

For example, the Lightning is a 148 kWh pack but only 131 is available.

We might just want to wait a minute before making such a declaration. I heard a lot of trash talk about the ModelS too even after unanimously being named Motor Trends Car of the Year in 2013.

There are literally a handful of CTs out there and all these people are going to extremes so they can have sensational, attention grabbing videos for their own personal gains. The software for the CT isn’t even finished in the same way it wasn’t finished of any previous models. My Model 3 is a better car than the day I bought it 5 years ago by miles. I assure you, CT will get better as Tesla gets ‘real’ people feedback and finishes the software, ramps production and makes daily engineering changes on the fly - like they’ve done for every vehicle.

Wonder if they can fix the Headlights with Software updates? Do the differentials already have the lockers built into them and Tesla just has to send a Software update for the lockers to be used? If the Differential lockers are not installed can the lockers be installed inside the Differentials at a later date?

Reactions: Nack