Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.14.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's expecting too much but I wish they'd just say that it was planned obsolescence. It's not unusual in the tech industry, and no one ever actually admits it, so I know it's expecting too much of Tesla to say "you're not getting the V12 flashiness because we want to encourage new sales".

I will quite happily grouse about the fact that Tesla leans heavily into the "your car gets better over time", more than other manufacturers do - of anything I think, e.g. Apple don't really tell you when you buy an iPhone that one day you might get some fancy new software, you get what you get when you buy it and that's it. Apple prevent you from installing perfectly functional later OS on their older stuff too, but at least these can be hacked on - I've got a work iMac that is "only" 7 years old running the latest OS software, when Apple will only let it run software 2 major versions back. Hacking the "real V12" onto an Atom car is basically an impossibility.

It is ultimately just cognitive dissonance from my end though because I also recognise that giving existing customers everything forever, forestalling when they might otherwise give you more money, is hardly a great model for profit and growth. Doesn't stop me being annoyed that my car has started to be left behind, when it plays a bunch of games that are far more taxing than the new UI appears to be just fine.

Bah humbug etc. :)
Yeah as you say you know how this goes. They won't say they are leaving you behind because announcing that wouldn't be of any benefit to them. Most people won't even follow this stuff to even know they are missing anything so why announce as much from the roof top.

As I see this, you already have the best infotainment of any car and you've got HW3 so when finally they ship an FSD here you should be able to run that. All the useful and not just window dressing for sales updates you get. Overall I'd not get too concerned about it at this point, poor legacy S and X folks get it much worse and they obviously jumped in early when prices where higher as well.

I'm also used to buying cars like BMW where you get nothing. Some cars cannot run iDrive 8.5 even though they ran 8.0 and it doesn't look massively different. Cars that run iDrive 8.5 cannot be upgraded to 9.0 that's already shipping on some of their models also. Most makes you basically get what the car comes with and nothing will change for the duration of ownership. At most they give you some bug fixes, newer maps and the ability to purchase some new Hans Zimmer noises.

Most makes you basically get what the car comes with and nothing will change for the duration of ownership.

As long as it works properly and is properly featured in the first place I am sure many people will accept that.

It’s when features are either not or only partially complete or do not work properly it becomes a problem.

Yea, I’ve added bits to cars in the past, even completely rebuilt them turning them into a very different spec car, but it’s been relatively easy to do and/or cars were well past their use by date. But never have I been wanting for the latest bit of bling on a newer model - that’s because what I had just worked.

I normally keep cars until they owe us nothing, so 13-15 years or even much longer. Not convinced our Tesla will get anywhere near that before it’s been functionally neutered.

As long as it works properly and is properly featured in the first place I am sure many people will accept that.

It’s when features are either not or only partially complete or do not work properly it becomes a problem.

Yea, I’ve added bits to cars in the past, even completely rebuilt them turning them into a very different spec car, but it’s been relatively easy to do and/or cars were well past their use by date. But never have I been wanting for the latest bit of bling on a newer model - that’s because what I had just worked.

I normally keep cars until they owe us nothing, so 13-15 years or even much longer. Not convinced our Tesla will get anywhere near that before it’s been functionally neutered.
Yes I mean we all had no choice but to accept that we got what we got when purchasing the car and nothing else. However they would bring out new features in each new MY that didn’t depend on any new hardware, they just wouldn’t ever release it for older cars. That model I think is obviously dying and I thank Tesla for leading on this. I also curse them for bringing in the trend of shipping before the software is ready then fixing it after the fact…

Probably your biggest issue might be if they start turning off the 4G bands before you’ve got your time out of it. Otherwise I’d assume (maybe wrongly) it should still get you from A to B OK in 13 - 15 years of ownership.

My update finally installed and, welp... nothing really to write home about to be honest, the bigger speedometer is probably the best bit.

I have EAP and was hoping Autopark would have added the the option to select a space as you creep past like i've seen in some videos, sadly not.

My update finally installed and, welp... nothing really to write home about to be honest, the bigger speedometer is probably the best bit.

I have EAP and was hoping Autopark would have added the the option to select a space as you creep past like i've seen in some videos, sadly not.
Really ? That was the only thing I was looking forward to, seeing as that’s why I bought EAP …😝

Reactions: Chickenlips
Yep. Some (often the same) Guinea Pigs just yet early versions then when things stabilise it gets rolled out to more and more, irrespective of standard/advanced setting. It’s often that the early Guinea pigs actually get the final version a fraction later than main rollout.

Then Tesla spin the dice again and often push out one more version.

Many of the guinea pigs have historically been early. I was once until I got bitten by a torrent of short lived version updates so moved to standard (didn’t make any difference) then ultimately stopped taking updates until it was shown to be stable.

Always some rumours that those with FSD got early access but I don’t think that’s a thing in UK, at least not now. It’s probably more down to spec of individual car and what bits they are interested on trialing. Cars often get delivered with some new features not in main release but lag behind in others. They ultimately converge. Other than that it seems to be just a lottery.

Some, like myself prefer to take a release less often so skip updates until word on street has revealed whether it’s a good or bad release. You get to know when main rollout has occurred. Then wait a few days for final update. I got tired of seemingly constant updates, not all positive.
I went to 14.3 about a week ago, I assume I am a Guinea Pigs 😂 . I don't see any sign of the new update so that supports the theory.

Maybe if you’ve not moved yet since installing it hasn’t got a good view of the car next to you so has decided it’s a truck. It’s not going to get it right all the time I guess but it looks like a nice visualisation improvement than we had before.

Be nice to see what people with FSD see as from reading I’ve seen it suggest it shows even more detail but don’t know if that’s US only though.
Right, was not moved since installing. did some trips and when I come back the truck was exchanged by a car.
my car don't have FSD.
yes more details even aren't accurate always: brake lights, indicators