Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tint Specs and Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've read various posts here (this might be best one) and other places that provide a good deal of information about tinting a Model Y. However, no one place that I found lists out the VLT (Visible Light Transmitted), IRR (Infrared Radiation Rejection), and UVR (Ultraviolet Rejection) numbers of the stock windows. I'm using this video which did the meter rating on a Model Y. I think listing the VLR, IRR, and UVR out is particularly important because so many people recommend ceramic tinting everything.

Front windows:
  • VLT -- 80.5 (higher the rating the more visible things are or "less" tint you have)
  • IRR -- 76.7 (higher the number the better a film can reject infrared radiation -- rating near 100 is excellent).
  • UVR -- 100 (higher the number the better a film can reject ultraviolet radiation -- rating near 100 is excellent).
Back seat windows:
  • VLT -- 21.5
  • IRR -- 91.5
  • UVR -- 96.2
My thoughts:

So, based on these, numbers, I think most Model Y owners can skip tinting the back seat windows altogether and use a basic tint (even non-ceramic) on the front windows to just get some VLT value to match the back or whatever one's preference is.

Obviously, the windshield has zero protection so I would recommend everyone put ceramic tinting on that.

What about the roof glass? From what I understand it provides excellent protection against the sun. I found this video which tested out the heat rejection.

Reactions: fsb1
It is getting sunnier and hotter as summer approaches, so the timing for this conversation is perfect.

Whenever I drive up to Denver, I am subject to a lot of bright sun exposure, particularly on the hands. (A few weeks ago, my dermatologist removed 3 precancerous spots from the backs of my hands; I believe these spots came from the fact that I like driving with my hands positioned at 10 and 2 o'clock.)

Today, I had my Windshield and Front windows tinted with 3M film applied by Tint World here in Colorado Springs. Both films are "Skin Cancer Foundation approved", both were described as 3M TW IR CERAMIC 2-PLY FILM infrared ultimate scratch resistant film.

Windshield: Supreme Tint - 70%;
Front Door Windows: Supreme Tint - 30%
(as the first post mentioned, the higher the tint % the more transmissive of light)

I chose these products after a quick product demonstration: radiant heat was almost totally blocked by 70% tinting, which was barely darker than clear glass.

It was very plain to see that when tinting is applied to all of a car's windows, the interior becomes darker faster, so a little bit of tinting goes a long way. Without tint, the bright white seats and dashboard accents were highly reflective in direct sunlight, and I appreciate them more when they are reflecting less light. I am also still able to see very well through the tinting at night.

To top it off, tinting all the windows gives the car a more integrated and refined look. There used to be jarring contrast when you looked at the side of the car: the bright white interior shone through the front side windows. By comparison, the darker back window tint almost totally hid everything from sight.

Last edited:
So I've read various posts here (this might be best one) and other places that provide a good deal of information about tinting a Model Y. However, no one place that I found lists out the VLT (Visible Light Transmitted), IRR (Infrared Radiation Rejection), and UVR (Ultraviolet Rejection) numbers of the stock windows. I'm using this video which did the meter rating on a Model Y. I think listing the VLR, IRR, and UVR out is particularly important because so many people recommend ceramic tinting everything.

Front windows:
  • VLT -- 80.5 (higher the rating the more visible things are or "less" tint you have)
  • IRR -- 76.7 (higher the number the better a film can reject infrared radiation -- rating near 100 is excellent).
  • UVR -- 100 (higher the number the better a film can reject ultraviolet radiation -- rating near 100 is excellent).
Back seat windows:
  • VLT -- 21.5
  • IRR -- 91.5
  • UVR -- 96.2
My thoughts:

So, based on these, numbers, I think most Model Y owners can skip tinting the back seat windows altogether and use a basic tint (even non-ceramic) on the front windows to just get some VLT value to match the back or whatever one's preference is.

Obviously, the windshield has zero protection so I would recommend everyone put ceramic tinting on that.

What about the roof glass? From what I understand it provides excellent protection against the sun. I found this video which tested out the heat rejection.
The stock Tesla windshield does not have "zero protection". What are the ratings, actually?

in my experience you usually don’t save that much money by skipping the rear windows and you often end up with mismatching VLT/appearance windows so might as well get it all done. Air80 on the windshield was a game changer in terms of reducing radiant heat on sunny days.

in my experience you usually don’t save that much money by skipping the rear windows and you often end up with mismatching VLT/appearance windows so might as well get it all done. Air80 on the windshield was a game changer in terms of reducing radiant heat on sunny days.

yeah i think it's like $100 or so to tint just the back windows.

i've tinted every car i've owned.

little heat reduction is a plus but also like having a little privacy as well.

I decided to tint my windows after 2 years owing my Y. Hesitant because of all the rock chips and cracked windshields I went through with my 3 and current Y. XPEL Prime XR Ceramic 70 on front roll up windows : 99% UV Rejected / 85% Infrared Rejected
XPEL Prime XR Ceramic 35 on the windshield strip : 99% UV Rejected / 78% Infrared Rejected

Before tinting, I use my sun visor 90% of the time when driving during the day and my left arm feels like under a magnifying glass when sun is shining through driver side window. Now after tinting, I only use sun visor when driving in direct sunlight, and the sun burn through driver window is completely gone.

For those who have sun glare issues, light sensitivity, glaucoma, etc, the windshield strip is definitely recommended.
Some pictures of with and without tint from the inside.

Tint3.jpg

Tint1.jpg

Tint4.jpg

Tint6.jpg

Tint7.jpg

Tint9.jpg

Tint11.jpg

Attachments

• Tint8.jpg
    Tint8.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: fsb1 and android04
I ended up tinting the whole vehicle. 35% front, 20% back and rear hatch with XPEL XR Plus. Windshield with XPEL XR Blue 80% and the roof was either the same as the windshield or a very light XPEL XR Plus,

I remember the first few weeks with the car had a lot of heat transmission through the windshield and front window. There was an extremely noticeable difference after tinting those. Looking back, I'm not sure if the roof or rear tinting really made a difference, but I highly recommend at least the windshield and front windows.

Reactions: fredzos

Front windows:
Back seat windows:
  • VLT -- 21.5
  • IRR -- 91.5
  • UVR -- 96.2
My thoughts:

I would agree with you on skipping the back windows. I live in Colorado and will take my less than a week old Y to get front windows tinted. I really doubt that IRR number on the front windows, literally was cooking my face heading to work in the morning and gets super hot. Won't The lowest price installer with 5 star review nearby uses Panaflex film. I think it's good enough for now.

Even a layer of 70 on the back windows aids in heat rejection. I did 20 up front and 70 on the rears of MYP and 70 on the windshield xpel XR prime plus. Fantastic film. I’ve always tinted my cars throughout and the biggest difference comes when you’ve owned it for a long time and you notice the interior, dash, steering wheel are much less worn and faded than other cars without it. I also find it helps a lot with glare at night.

Reactions: fredzos