Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why don’t the cars talk ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What like KITT?

1715274894378.png

• Love
Reactions: Technokrat
Teslas are great but I’m curious as to why they don’t speak, they understand voice commands. It sure would be cool if the greeted us when we opened the door or told us the temperature, warned us about speed traps instead of chimes. Kit we need u pal.
The volume would have to be turned up really loud to be heard over my wife’s voice commands :)

When AI and voice recognition are truly perfected, will we really want audible acknowledgments? The Expanse used a lot of voice commands and zero (I think) audio/talking responses - computers just flawlessly executed instructions.

If the car does start talking, I sure hope we users have the option to disable it or specify what types of messages we want to hear. Just like I wish we could silence nuisance notifications in the app (I know Bluetooth is off, I turned it off) and on the UI (I know how to engage FSD, I don’t want it but I do want to see my media controls).

If the car does start talking, I sure hope we users have the option to disable it or specify what types of messages we want to hear.
Yes, that's important.

I get annoyed when devices that can talk try to communicate with beeps. Occasionally I'll hear a beep but won't know what it's trying to communicate or even which device it's coming from. I walk around. Toaster, coffee pot, computer, phone, tablet, charger, microwave?

For example, I would like the car to say "poor weather detected" instead of beep, requiring me to look at the message (which may have disappeared). "Take control immediately!" might be better than a tone, especially for newbies. Airplanes say "Pull up!"

I've sometimes programmed in verbal notifications on my devices. For example, when a car starts charging, I'll hear "Phone, Tesla" and also "Tablet, Tesla." Tells me what device is talking and what it wants to convey.

But for some notifications, it gets annoying to hear the speech instead of a distinctive, learnable tone.

Being able to control the messages solves the problem, but adds more programming for the Tesla engineers.

I think Tesla should greet us and maybe a generic notification like “looks like the forecast is calling for rain this afternoon. Did u bring your umbrella”. Maybe a time and date announcement “good morning Mr. Jamison, it’s 7:02 am and 81 degrees, you currently have 36% battery capacity remaining. You have 3 new messages, have a wonderful day. This would be easily incorporated with just a few lines of code but please don’t make us pay for it and wait 2 years. Options to select yr voice gender, accent, type of greeting and yes mute or turn off AI mode.

Teslas are great but I’m curious as to why they don’t speak, they understand voice commands. It sure would be cool if the greeted us when we opened the door or told us the temperature, warned us about speed traps instead of chimes.

Spoken like every unmarried man.
Married men are rolling their eyes hoping that there is a way to strategically control/disable their partners' voice interfaces. Add a stupid car to the list of chatter-boxes.

Kewl.
Instead of investing into building better cars, Tesla is adding more fluff software features.
And a fake robot.
And a fake FSD.
And a fake AI project.

Anything and everything to juice-up Elon's stock price.
Kewl.

a