Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When can we expect to see a CCS Adapter for the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My humble opinion is that in EU, CCS was mandatory moving forward for new Teslas at some point, due to EU regulations.
Hence the 3 got it and Y, CT... will have it.
That meant also another challenge and cost to Tesla: having SuC equipped with both of the old Mennekes like S and X have and the new CCS for 3. So Tesla added the CCS plug and cable to almost all SuC V2 in EU in no time. Quite impressed by the way.
We already know the new SuC v3 that is starting to roll out in EU will only provide the CCS, which makes financial sense. The Mennekes will fade out.
Hence, all new S and X still have the old Mennekes plug but they have the CCS adaptor delivered standard. And for older S and X, they have a campaign ongoing to have the modification done at a reasonable price.

In the US, I believe there is no such incentive or pressure for Tesla to bring a CCS adaptor.

My humble opinion is that in EU, CCS was mandatory moving forward for new Teslas at some point, due to EU regulations.
That meant also another challenge and cost to Tesla: having SuC equipped with both of the old Mennekes like S and X have and the new CCS for 3. So Tesla added the CCS plug and cable to almost all SuC V2 in EU in no time. Quite impressed by the way.
We already know the new SuC v3 that is starting to roll out in EU will only provide the CCS, which makes financial sense. The Mennekes will fade out.
Hence, all new S and X still have the old Mennekes plug but they have the CCS adaptor delivered standard. And for older S and X, they have a campaign ongoing to have the modification done at a reasonable price.

In the US, I believe there is no such incentive or pressure for Tesla to bring a CCS adaptor.

Did they reduced the price of the CCS retrofit?
I had it done on my S85 soon after it came out, but i just got a late 2018 X 100D and would do it immediately it if the price came down.
On the other hand... i only used the CCS on my S85 twice...

Just find it supersizing that they developed a CHADEMO Adapter but a CCS Adapter, which would be much more useful as CCS will end up being the de facto standard for new charger installations across the US with a higher rate of charge, is not available...

Would love to be able to use the Electrify America charger network in a bind but many are pretty much only CCS with sometimes just a single token CHADEMO charger per location which might not be available when you need it.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Just find it supersizing that they developed a CHADEMO Adapter but a CCS Adapter, which would be much more useful as CCS will end up being the de facto standard for new charger installations across the US with a higher rate of charge, is not available...

Would love to be able to use the Electrify America charger network in a bind but many are pretty much only CCS with sometimes just a single token CHADEMO charger per location which might not be available when you need it.

Chademo adapter was developed when the number of supercharger sites in the US was in the low double digits. Doubt they'd bother at all if they were starting today.

There's just very little incentive at the moment unless government forces their hand.

At the time CHAdeMO was the bigger standard, and it is essential the standard in Japan, so they had to make the adapter to be able to sell cars in Japan. (It was just before the Model 3 started to go to Japan that they finally made the Model 3 compatible with the CHAdeMO adapter.)

I would love Tesla to provide a CCS adapter for US vehicles. I’d probably never need it but it sure would be a great selling point for Tesla. When other manufacturers brag about the electrify America network, Tesla could then say a Tesla owner can use BOTH!

Yup, we were already somewhere last month where we were right by an Electrify America charger and unfortunately could not use it.

I feel going forward just about all the public EV chargers being installed everywhere will pretty much be CCS.

I did a trip last year with my Nissan Leaf and had planned to use the EA charging. Necessary to complete the round trip. Unfortunately the Chademo charger would not work and their support said it needed service. I turned around aborting the trip and just made it to a Duncan Donuts with a Chademo EVGo. I believe Tesla Superchargers are well distributed throughout the country and they have plenty. Are there many places left you can't use a Supercharger with 400 miles range on the new Model S? I don't believe I could drive to Alaska in my MS but I don't believe a CCS or Chademo adapter would help either.

What I did buy for my Leaf is a Tesla to J1772 adapter and have used it a couple times. Slow but will get a boost to make it to the next EVGo or Nissan dealer. I also bought the Tesla Chademo adapter and only used it to test it out so far on an EVGo to charge up my Tesla MS. It charges at 30 amps. The Leaf will charge at 44amps peak.

I feel going forward just about all the public EV chargers being installed everywhere will pretty much be CCS.

Maybe over the long-long term, but I don't think that's anywhere near the case right now.

For starters, I'd guess public L2 AC J1772 chargers are still being installed at about a 20:1 ratio vs. DC fast chargers.

And then when speaking of just DC fast chargers in the US, Tesla is installing new chargers at a greater rate than all of the other CCS networks combined.

Reactions: cwerdna
Yup, we were already somewhere last month where we were right by an Electrify America charger and unfortunately could not use it.

Not here in BC. One for one Chademo and CCS. The exception being Electrify Canada which is a small player here. I would guess Chademo/CCS stations outnumber Superchargers somewhere between 10 to 1 and 15 to 1 and the Chademo/CCS infrastructure is growing much faster than the Supercharger network. Without a Chademo adapter here one is limited to the Fraser valley and the transcanada corridor to Calgary. We travel outside of that corridor fairly often and without the Chademo adapter we would have had to buy a leaf. So yah, I too would like to see a CCS adapter and the charge speeds that may come with it, but until then the Chademo adapter is a lifeline for some of us. Wish they could speed up the Chademo adapter a bit though . I’m sure there are engineering reasons why this can not be done.

I live in the Boston area and thought I'd look up the Electrify America situation around here...Hmm. Well, let's click on one (of the two) sites and see what's what
0yIokEJ.png

Given EAs pricing tiers, if/when Tesla does decide to produce a North America CCS adapter, I'd hope they would add a menu setting for max charging power. That is if you don't mind spending a few extra moments at the charging station, you could set it to 74 kW max. (Down side is that it would encourage "charger hogging" - when others may be waiting in line behind you... So maybe the floor of the setting would something like 50 kW.) It isn't an issue with the current CHAdeMO adapter - which as we all know is limited to 50 kW max.

Maybe over the long-long term, but I don't think that's anywhere near the case right now.

For starters, I'd guess public L2 AC J1772 chargers are still being installed at about a 20:1 ratio vs. DC fast chargers.

And then when speaking of just DC fast chargers in the US, Tesla is installing new chargers at a greater rate than all of the other CCS networks combined.

AC charging should be much more prevalent than DCFC. In an ideal world, every car would do have a place to AC charge at home or work and DC charging would only get used when someone needs more than a full charge in a day.

Obviously there are folks right now who can’t do that, apartment dwellers and row homes and most hotels. But hopefully that will get better over time.

There’s no reason to invest in the expensive and wearing DCFC chargers for routine daily use. It’s probably cheaper and more efficient to wire every parking space on a block for AC charging than it is to build a DC site that can handle all those car’s needs - especially if they all commute at similar times.

Reactions: ucmndd
AC charging should be much more prevalent than DCFC. In an ideal world, every car would do have a place to AC charge at home or work and DC charging would only get used when someone needs more than a full charge in a day.

Obviously there are folks right now who can’t do that, apartment dwellers and row homes and most hotels. But hopefully that will get better over time.

There’s no reason to invest in the expensive and wearing DCFC chargers for routine daily use. It’s probably cheaper and more efficient to wire every parking space on a block for AC charging than it is to build a DC site that can handle all those car’s needs - especially if they all commute at similar times.
Fully agree. That was kind of my point.

Reactions: Saghost
Did they reduced the price of the CCS retrofit?
I had it done on my S85 soon after it came out, but i just got a late 2018 X 100D and would do it immediately it if the price came down.
On the other hand... i only used the CCS on my S85 twice...

Folks in the Netherlands received a mail from Tesla proposing the upgrade for 500€.
I scheduled this upgrade in the app. I’ll report if it is any different here (which would be a surprise for a neighboring country.)

Given EAs pricing tiers, if/when Tesla does decide to produce a North America CCS adapter, I'd hope they would add a menu setting for max charging power. That is if you don't mind spending a few extra moments at the charging station, you could set it to 74 kW max. (Down side is that it would encourage "charger hogging" - when others may be waiting in line behind you... So maybe the floor of the setting would something like 50 kW.) It isn't an issue with the current CHAdeMO adapter - which as we all know is limited to 50 kW max.

Those EA pricing tears will not last for long.

There's legislation pending in so many places to require charging based on actual electricity consumed rather than time so people who are new to EVs understand it is the energy they are obtaining they are being charged for.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits and kayak1
That seems quite reasonable to be able to charge the car anywhere.

Wish we would get this capability in the US.
It is indeed.
It’s like the HPWC pricing. Very reasonable compared to what I’ve heard about third party chargers pricing.

Back to the CCS: although Tesla is probably not in a hurry to propose the US version, the EU reality demonstrates that it’s quite possible to offer one and at a reasonable pricing.
But it looks like it will take some more time before it is.

The positive for you fellow US owners, is that you have already many v3 locations and any S and X can also benefit from them without any additional cost.
And even if your battery (like mine) cannot benefit from the 250kW, at least you benefit from the undivided, full power of v3. :)

Wow so 50+ miles per hour would be a great compromise with a J1772 CCS Adapter.

Is this more "easily" doable than a CCS to Tesla charger adapter?

I'm sure it would be possible, but it would be very expensive, fairly big, and very heavy. The adapter would have to have a HV DC to AC inverter, which are very expensive. ($20k for a 20kW inverter that can handle the 300+ volts.) I suppose you could put a DC-DC buck converter to drop the voltage to 48v so you could use a more common inverter, but even that would cost ~$3k for a 15kW inverter.) And then of course you have to have all of the cables and CCS electronics.

And even if your battery (like mine) cannot benefit from the 250kW, at least you benefit from the undivided, full power of v3.

While it's a bit faster than our 150KW Superchargers, the brief experience I've had tapers sooner and faster so that I only got a few minutes charging above 190KWH. Within 7 minutes I was below 140KWH. Tesla needs to change that taper slope for any real benefit from the new V3 Superchargers. It was a fun experiment but the results were disappointing for saving time.

Also, I don't see the CCS adapter being necessary here because we have such a good Supercharger network. Better for me would be to have a Tesla Supercharger to Chademo adapter for my Nissan Leaf. :) We would need a way to open a charge account for the Nissan, however. There are some routes where I just can't go due to no charging along the way for more than the range of the car.

Besides what was already mentioned w/most public charging in the US being AC J1772 charging, disagree with your last statement.

In the US, only (VW-owned) Electrify America is stacking the deck in favor of their own vehicles (e.g. VW, Audi, Porsche). In the US, I don't know of any other major charging provider which provides non-Tesla DC FCing that is intentionally screwing CHAdeMO they way they are. Everyone else (outside of Tesla, brand-specific car dealers or automaker's offices) is installing a pretty even mix at a given location.

Sure, there are some sites that are CHAdeMO only and some that are SAE Combo only, but those are fairly rare. And of the latter, those tend to be these wimpy 24 kW units: ChargePoint Express 100 - ChargePoint like PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You, PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You and PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You.
While it's a bit faster than our 150KW Superchargers, the brief experience I've had tapers sooner and faster so that I only got a few minutes charging above 190KWH. Within 7 minutes I was below 140KWH.
Charging rate is measured in kW, a unit of power, not "KWH". Energy is measured in kWh.

No shipping Teslas have 140 or 190 kWh batteries.