Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK new topic. And for full disclosure, it's nothing coming out of my own thoughts - I just read this on Bloomberg. My best bet is that many of you already are waaaaay on top of this:

Who has thoughts on the relative merits and investment potentials of FireEye, Palo Alo Networks and the other network security companies?

Here's the Bloomberg link: The Billion-Dollar Bet That Better Software Can Stop Hackers - Bloomberg Business

Who has thoughts on the relative merits and investment potentials of FireEye, Palo Alo Networks and the other network security companies?
Love the ETF symbol "HACK"...that's the best thing I can say about it. Most "security" companies sell snake oil. Some are even worse. However, security is really hot right now, and many companies will pay anything to anyone just for CYA purposes. So I'd expect a bubble and many of the companies on that list to get acquired (because at low interest rates, why not?) with high valuations even if they don't really have a workable solution. I guess what I'm saying is the market is hot, the need is real, and right now there's no easy way to tell the good from the bad. For short term fun it might be a good gamble. Long term I'd expect the companies that do security well to quietly keep doing that, staying out of the headlines, and probably out of hot ETF funds.

Does anyone know anything about Sphere 3D
http://sphere3d.com

The stock looks rather volatile (like most tech stocks I guess). Wasn't sure where they fit into the market with the competition out there. Am looking for a decent analysis of it and already tried to Google it of course.

Never heard of them. Looking at Sphere 3D | Investor Relations | Press Release they are selling more than a year ago, but also losing more money. Net loss $9.5M this quarter. $4.4M cash at end of quarter, but it looks like they raised another $4.1M since. Any reason to think their losses will turn around?

Never heard of them. Looking at Sphere 3D | Investor Relations | Press Release they are selling more than a year ago, but also losing more money. Net loss $9.5M this quarter. $4.4M cash at end of quarter, but it looks like they raised another $4.1M since. Any reason to think their losses will turn around?

Not sure. A co-worker asked me about this company and I had never heard about it either. Probably risky so told him wasn't sure what to think about it since I don't know that field at all. Thanks.

While it's nowhere close to challenging TSLA as our largest position, MBLY's magnificent performance has vaulted it far ahead of AAPL for the #2 slot in our portfolios. I admit for the umpteenth time it is unnerving to be so dependent on the performances of these two companies for the health of our portfolios...but their fundamentals remain so attractive to us.

While it's nowhere close to challenging TSLA as our largest position, MBLY's magnificent performance has vaulted it far ahead of AAPL for the #2 slot in our portfolios. I admit for the umpteenth time it is unnerving to be so dependent on the performances of these two companies for the health of our portfolios...but their fundamentals remain so attractive to us.

I am interested in mbly. do you have an investing thesis? Price target? timeline?

I drop hints of same on occasion - I definitely do not show much, other than that MBLY, GNTX, NVDA and even QCOM all fit in the TSLA sphere. Sorry!

And long-term watchers know that our investments tend to be multi-decadal. When I finally rid the portfolios of Exxon...well, our cost was in the low single digits....

Mobileye Jumps 6%: Baird Learns to Stop Worrying and Love ADAS - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
Shares of embedded camera sensor maker Mobileye (MBLY) are up $3.09, or 6%, at $57.21, after R.W. Baird’s David Leiker raised his rating on the shares to Outperform from Neutral, and hiking his price target to $73 from $47, writing that a number of factors have made him more comfortable with the business beyond 2018.
He thinks the shares can go as high as $170 by 2020, moreover.
Mobileye is developing artificial intelligence to determine where to drive – this uses image processing to determine where the vehicle can drive versus a rules-based system. Other autonomous driving approaches today rely heavily on maps and sensors that verify these maps to determine where to drive

NVAX up about 26% since my May 28th post.
I'm holding for oh so much more...

It is tempting to sell with the recent gains (stepped in a bit after your post with a small amount), but I'm interested in seeing where thy might end up. Promising company.

Other suggestions? I wasn't investing in many tech stocks due to the high risk, but right now I'm willing to direct some funds to this market.