Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the point if I have to tug the wheel every 10 seconds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to grab the wheel every 10 seconds. You have to be holding the wheel and putting a small amount of torque on it at all times. Your grip should be light such that when the wheel turns it slides freely with only a bit of friction against your hand. That's how it's intended to be used, and it's quite easy really.

However, I agree with you. What is the point? It's not really Full Self Driving. Other than a neat gimmick, I don't think it's really doing anything useful (unlike Autopilot which makes long trips more relaxing and less tedious). Around town, I really don't see the point of letting the car halfway drive itself while you have to be paying very close attention and anticipating what it may or may not do next. You might as well drive it yourself. To me anyway, it's pointless until it gets to a point where I can let it drive completely unattended and do something else with my time that is otherwise being occupied driving or monitoring it driving. And I think we are a long way from that point.

If you're not having issues with the cabin camera freaking out, you can get away with hands free FSD by installing the TSL6 anti-nag chip. If you want to block the cabin camera completely and avoid the annoying "pay attention" notifications, you will be limited to AP only but in my experience hands free AP is more useful than traditional FSD.

If you're not having issues with the cabin camera freaking out, you can get away with hands free FSD by installing the TSL6 anti-nag chip. If you want to block the cabin camera completely and avoid the annoying "pay attention" notifications, you will be limited to AP only but in my experience hands free AP is more useful than traditional FSD.
What is this chip you speak of? And how do you get rid of the camera? I’m happy to get rid of FSD and go back to AP! FSD has just been a massive, useless, pain in the ass.

How is the chip different than the weighted steering wheel? I’m definitely thinking about it as regular AP is useless now with it nagging all the time. Extremely dangerous too as half the time the steering wheel shake takes it out of autopilot. Every 10 or 15 seconds before wasn’t terrible but every two is the car getting yanked into a semi, a barrier etc.

Extremely dangerous too as half the time the steering wheel shake takes it out of autopilot.
If this is what is happening to you, you are not doing it correctly. Loosen your grip. It's really not that difficult.

Edit:
I will add this: my wife had a lot of difficulty with this when she got her Model Y. She would first grip it too hard and constantly be yanking it out of autopilot. Then she would overcompensate and have too loose a grip, get a nag, go into a minor panic about it and yank the wheel taking it out of AP.

My advice to her was to start with a loose grip. If you get a nag, don't panic--nothing's going to happen immediately. Just gradually tighten your grip/torque. With a little practice, you'll get a good feel for what's required. And that worked just fine. She got it almost immediately and now we both drive hundreds of miles on road trips with only a very occasionally nag, which is no big deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
What is this chip you speak of? And how do you get rid of the camera? I’m happy to get rid of FSD and go back to AP! FSD has just been a massive, useless, pain in the ass.

How is the chip different than the weighted steering wheel? I’m definitely thinking about it as regular AP is useless now with it nagging all the time. Extremely dangerous too as half the time the steering wheel shake takes it out of autopilot. Every 10 or 15 seconds before wasn’t terrible but every two is the car getting yanked into a semi, a barrier etc.

The TSL6 chip is installed in the diagnostics port inside the center console under the vents. It functions by toggling the right scroll wheel every few seconds to trick AP into thinking your hands are on the wheel all the time. It can be turned on and off in several ways, the easiest being automatically when engaging or disengaging AP via the right stalk.

Link to chip Autopilot Nag Elimination Module TSL6 Upgraded Version for Tesla Model 3(2019-2023) Model Y (2020-2024)

• Informative
Reactions: Mike_TV
I rented FSD, but there are a lot of times even on the highway, I'd turn it off because of the nag. Actually, gasp, driving manually required less steering input than the bleeping nag wanted! I'd turn on cruise control, leave the rest off.

If this is what is happening to you, you are not doing it correctly. Loosen your grip. It's really not that difficult.

Edit:
I will add this: my wife had a lot of difficulty with this when she got her Model Y. She would first grip it too hard and constantly be yanking it out of autopilot. Then she would overcompensate and have too loose a grip, get a nag, go into a minor panic about it and yank the wheel taking it out of AP.

My advice to her was to start with a loose grip. If you get a nag, don't panic--nothing's going to happen immediately. Just gradually tighten your grip/torque. With a little practice, you'll get a good feel for what's required. And that worked just fine. She got it almost immediately and now we both drive hundreds of miles on road trips with only a very occasionally nag, which is no big deal.
No its actually different on FSD than it is on Autopilot at least in my car. On FSD today on the way to work I could rest my arm on my leg while holding the wheel lightly, with Autopilot I cannot do that, it is not enough and the autopilot is utterly useless. Not that this is much better, Its honestly easier to drive than to concentrate on holding the wheel, there is a camera watching us,that should be enough.

Reactions: KG2V
No its actually different on FSD than it is on Autopilot at least in my car. On FSD today on the way to work I could rest my arm on my leg while holding the wheel lightly, with Autopilot I cannot do that, it is not enough and the autopilot is utterly useless. Not that this is much better, Its honestly easier to drive than to concentrate on holding the wheel, there is a camera watching us,that should be enough.
I can only say this: I have had EAP (and then FSD) on my Model 3 since 2018. We've had her Y since early 2023. It has FSD, but I have two profiles set up, one with and one without FSD enabled. Maybe it takes a certain amount of practice, but I just hardly ever get nagged, and very rarely yank it out of AP/FSD (usually it's the result of an actual close call). There is a technique that will work, and once you get the hang of it, I don't think it's onerous.

That said, if you don't like the technique and you would prefer to just keep an incredibly loose grip on the wheel, or not touch it at all, well that's your opinion and I respect it, and agree with your position of there not being a point--because it doesn't work the way you want it to. But I do not agree that it's not possible to operate the car in AP or FSD without more than the occasional nag.

Autopilot is one thing but what is the point of fsd if it’s nagging me to grab the wheel every 10 seconds. For one it’s down right dangerous telling me to grab the wheel when it’s making a turn. That’s how bones get broken.
Try this ...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/fsd-v12-x-end-to-end-ai.301471/page-658#post-8256674

The correct way to clear the nag is to
- Use one of the little knobs on the steering wheel
- Pull the wheel slightly in one direction and hold it till the nag goes away

People who "wiggle" the wheel instead, have problem making the nag go away.

Reactions: navguy12 and RTPEV
Help is on the way. Nag was developed to appease Federal regulators.
Elon just mentioned that they have a new release, coming soon, that will mostly eliminate the nag.
Will depend more on interior camera to determine focus of the driver.

I love fsd 12.3.4, as a driver's assist. I use it as much as I can, and I have some normal workarounds for various issues.
-For the wheel nag, I just hook one hand on the lower side of the steering wheel and let the weight of my hand take care of the nags. I do lift my hand when the wheel is spinning through a turn, and I don't think FSD should nag the driver at that time.
-In Phoenix, FSD will not cross the white line into or out of the HOV lane, so I always just cancel FSD, change lanes and re-engage.
-Lane changes are often an issue - probably most of my issues at this point - so I try to use the turn signal ahead of time to have a better chance of being in the proper lane.
-Slow stop sign creeping is annoying, so I often nudge things along with the accelerator pedal.

I have a couple of FSD issues I cannot really resolve or work around cleanly. I absolutely hate when FSD overrules my turn signal and fights me for control of the car. If I put on the turn signal, I expect the car to honor that. This happens both with me putting on turn signals, but also sometimes the car overrules its own satnav instructions.

Speed limit changes - legitimate ones on freeways, but which everyone ignores, except FSD. Classic example is driving 80 in a 70, and suddenly car slows to 70 while every other car around you continues on at 80. Turns out there is actually a short-lived speed limit, which is so ignored you never knew it was there. I hope there is a mode I haven't discovered for a more basic cruise control - set the speed and only slow down for a car in front.

Once FSD dramatically improves its lane selection and changing performance (and would it be too much to hope that assertive mode gets the car to actually pass slower traffic clogging the left lane rather than following forever), it will approach 'self-driving' as opposed to being more of a driver's assist.

Autopilot is one thing but what is the point of fsd if it’s nagging me to grab the wheel every 10 seconds. For one it’s down right dangerous telling me to grab the wheel when it’s making a turn. That’s how bones get broken.
I ain't tugging anything while I have my FSD on. Sure I have my hand resting at the 9 O'Clock position on the steering all the time.

For gods sake, it's a 5,000+ pound vehicle traveling at 100 feet per second. Keep your hand(s) on the wheel.

Last edited:
I’ve had it on my car since January and have gotten maybe 5 nags the entire time. I keep my left hand in contact with the wheel at around 9 o’clock and just let it rotate while providing enough friction/feedback to keep it happy. When I have gotten a nag, I disengage it and then re-engage rather than trying to prove to it that I’ve got my hands on the wheel.

Do you have sensory issues that result in a binary situation? Either you grab or you let go. There are infinite number of possibilities in between which you seemingly seem to lack

Reactions: gsmith123