Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded Falcon 9 Demonstration Flight 2013-09-29

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just old news, with some click trawling from zarya's part.

It's already know that the second stage restart failed.

[edit]SpaceX:
Following separation of the satellites to their correct orbit, the Falcon 9 second stage underwent a controlled venting of propellants (fuel and pressure were released from the tank) and the stage was successfully safed. During this process, it is possible insulation came off the fuel dome on the second stage and is the source of what some observers incorrectly interpreted as a rupture in the second stage. This material would be in several pieces and be reflective in the Space Track radar. It is also possible the debris came from the student satellite separation mechanisms onboard.SpaceX will continue to review to help identify the source of the extra debris, but our data confirms there was no rupture of any kind on the second stage.

But that doesn't change the fact that a second stage restart is needed for the geostationary orbit from Cape. So SpaceX needs to reassure that the fix is in place before SES-8 launch.

Also:
[edit]SpaceX and Aviationweek:
"The second-stage engine initiated ignition, got up to about 400 psi, encountered a condition it didn't like and initiated an abort," SpaceX spokeswoman Emily Shanklin said Oct. 2. "We need more time to review the data before we come to any sort of definitive conclusion, but we are confident we will be able to address it before the next flight," she said, adding that the abort "wasn't anything fundamental" and that a planned late-October launch of the SES-8 satellite for Luxembourg fleet operator SES "is still on track to launch in about a month."

SES says it is now discussing the reignition abort with SpaceX ahead of the launch, which could also be delayed by the U.S. government shutdown as it affects operations at Cape Canaveral AFS, where the Orbital Sciences Corp.-built SES-8 spacecraft is to be launched.

Last edited:
When I see video like this I start to reconsider buying a Mars ticket before I'm 90.

I'd buy a ticket but I think our sons/daughters are really going to benefit from Elon and friends. Stuff like this is the stuff of dreams. Makes me want to inquire at SpaceX just to be a data analyzer.

Love how they think they have enough data to make a successful landing. Fairings acting as landing gear as stabilization during retro firings might help, but I'd bet they add more fairings to ensure no spin. Or deploy a stabilizing chute of some sort to help with the centrifugal forces.

Some shots of the Octaweb:

octaweb_small.jpg
spacex-falcon-9-octaweb.jpg

octaweb.jpg

I'm not a rocket scientist, but my instincts say that this has to be a more stable configuration than the tic-tac-toe positioning. And reusability within a year is just unbelievable.

I really hope we get to see videos of the landing attempt. Elon said they'd be out at the end of last week but other media incidents likely created a distraction from that.

I don't see how that would have much effect on stability; rockets need an active control system to be stable anyway. I'm guessing it was done for structural reasons, or to simplify the structure (symmetry means you can use identical parts 8 times).

Falcon 9 Certification Delayed Due to Government Shutdown
http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/asd_10_10_2013_p01-01-625424.xml

"October 10, 2013
The U.S. Air Force’s work to determine whether the Sept. 29 first launch of Space Exploration Technologies’ (SpaceX) Falcon 9 v1.1 rocket will count toward the company’s requirements for certification to compete for government launches is being delayed by the U.S. government shutdown."

This is my favorite image there, the heat protection covering of the Octaweb make 9F look more like a spaceship and less like an expendable rocket.
4_super_close_up_ed.jpg

(And static(hot)fire's weathering makes it look more like its namesake. : )

Last edited: