Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should look into battery and solar. Infact a lot of places should do so they can both take some load off the grid and also spread that load out as required. You’ve got to figure most services have a ton of roof space for solar.
yup.. there is one solution with quite few batteries which can offload 150 kw where infrastructure is not up to scratch. but not sure if there is huge interest of investing like this

yup.. there is one solution with quite few batteries which can offload 150 kw where infrastructure is not up to scratch. but not sure if there is huge interest of investing like this
You’d have to think as we get closer to 2035 and the ramp up in EV’s accelerates they’ll have to be installing chargers faster than they do now. Possible the power companies won’t be able to speed up much so batteries might have to be used to plug the gap. Maybe you get less chargers or speeds need to be slower but might be a good stop gap until more power can get to a site.

You’d have to think as we get closer to 2035 and the ramp up in EV’s accelerates they’ll have to be installing chargers faster than they do now. Possible the power companies won’t be able to speed up much so batteries might have to be used to plug the gap. Maybe you get less chargers or speeds need to be slower but might be a good stop gap until more power can get to a site.
well, local garages in my town - there are 4 of them:
1) tesco garage.
2) esso garage in town outskirts
3) Esso garage in mid of the town
4) esso garage with EuroGarages on the "services" near motorway.

1) tesco has own chargers by pod-point in the parking lot - only 2 fast and 2 slow...
2) has new 4 x 150 kw (150 kw split by 2 cables, 4 cables in total) - newly installed near the air/water station
3) nothing... lack of space there, really... and not needed anyway - if you got to town, you can reach your house which is within 1 mile...
4) has same setup as 2)

I think what you will see is that there will be more and more garages which will have at least 50 kw (or maybe 150 kw) where air pump is located...

Problem is that the DNOs are even worse at approving sites with solar and batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: FastLaneJB
I passed through Sarn Park at the end of March and there was some groundworks going on behind the charger stalls but to my uninformed eye it seemed to be for laying cabling/services for something unconnected with the supercharger stalls, so could be a false alarm. Things might have changed since then but I haven't come across any more recent reports of an upgrade there.
Agreed, looked like an illuminated sign perhaps going in at the car park entrance. They had closed 4 of Tesla bays which was a bit unfriendly. I use Sarn fairly regularly and it doesn't really need more capacity. I'll be going back in a couple of weeks so will have a look round again.

Reactions: cezdoc
When you have companies like Stellantis reporting 10 year DNA approval wait times for deployment of rooftop solar in England......
It took me over a year to get DNO approval for my battery (13kwh) and solar (5.7kw) residential install.
Yeah, I call that BS. "Some Cases" are more like outlier and not the rule. Industrial scale installation target is 12 months (as per national Grid):
A spokesperson for National Grid said: “We’re committed to connecting projects to the grid as fast as possible. A majority of projects in the pipeline have connection dates within 12 months of their requested date, and we’re working with the electricity system operator, Ofgem and wider industry to introduce new ways to speed up the process for others.”

It took me ~30 working days to get DNO approval for my solar 10 kwh battery and 8 kw solar residential install.

Last edited:
Yeah, I call that BS. "Some Cases" are more like outlier and not the rule. Industrial scale installation target is 12 months (as per national Grid):

It took me ~30 working days to get DNO approval for my solar 10 kwh battery and 8 kw solar residential install.
Official "targets" are pure fiction. Some of the DNOs are worse than others. Scottish Power is probably one of the most dysfunctional organisations I have ever had to deal with. I have seen many reports of commercial DNO requests getting kicked into the multiyear long grass. The regional SC deployment team have to be real terriers.

... there will be more and more garages which will have at least 50 kw (or maybe 150 kw) where air pump is located...
Yuk!

What is the fascination for putting EV Charging spaces in smelly inconvenient petrol stations?
I have visited a petrol station once in 7.5 years (when I had a courtesy car) - I had forgotten how disgusting they are.

Please (not you, I appreciate) stop suggesting that petrols stations should have EV charging spaces as part of the general refuelling business.
A (nice) cafe or a retail park are ideal (non motorway/trunk road) venues.