Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car (both my S and the previous 3) and my neighbours car also stutter at the same point on this part of the m4. travelling eastbound you go up the hill, past the first speed cameras and then before the next bridge (cutbush lane?) it tries to stop. Think i've worked it out that the car spots a roundabout sign on the road to the left of the motorway and takes a while to work out it is not relevant. while it does that it slows considerably. That all said Wed night it drove the section with out a stutter for the first time in 4 years. have been oin v11 for a while but had mcu2 put in todat - will try it next week.
I thought it might be a sign, my model Y also does this, every morning I make my way to work, on that spot. So always disengage autopilot or ACC.

I'll have a look now when I next drive in! Going to quick look on Google maps too.

Edit**
Screenshot_20240429_070859_Maps.jpg

You were right!! The sign is visible for the roundabout!

Last edited:
There is a similar situation where, in inner lanes, the car detects a speed sign for the Terminal 5 slip road running parallel with the M25 clockwise at Heathrow.

Thankfully our car does not change its speed according to speed signs. But for those cars that do, the M25 is normally running less than the slip road speed limit anyway ;)

It's not the roundabout sign. It's down to the fact that Autopilot is written for US highways, and then copied and pasted for the UK with "left" changed to "right". US junctions get lane 1 as a slip road. In this case, the Tesla recognises that there's no hard shoulder; it's at a junction; and there's traffic on the left, and so it assumes they will need to pull out. It'll brake to match their speed.

Very considerate of it, of course, but not that helpful. You'll see it on most motorway sections if you're in lane 2 and there's no hard shoulder.

When and where was “sensor fusion” promised? I think I missed this memo…
Can't manage to find it now strangely, but I recall a post from Elluswamy on X that explained that the reason it would come later to cars with USS was precisely because it took some time to fuse the two sensors.

Can't really justify 5 months delay in bringing the feature for USS cars just to end up putting in a toggle switch, can they?

• Funny
Reactions: Utumno and goRt
Disappointing news tonight. According to notateslaapp the latest version of the 2023.3 branch dropped tonight, and brings the much awaited Enhanced Park Assist and new Autopark using vision to USS cars.
But, contrary to what was promised before, there is no sensor fusion, just a toggle switch to opt to use the ´newer’ version, which uses solely Vision and hence would disable USS sensors for this.
Not sure I’ll want to give it a try.
* USS cars with Ryzen, us Atom owners are once again second class citizens. Although, it looks like we may get the new park assist?

It's not the roundabout sign. It's down to the fact that Autopilot is written for US highways, and then copied and pasted for the UK with "left" changed to "right". US junctions get lane 1 as a slip road. In this case, the Tesla recognises that there's no hard shoulder; it's at a junction; and there's traffic on the left, and so it assumes they will need to pull out. It'll brake to match their speed.

Very considerate of it, of course, but not that helpful. You'll see it on most motorway sections if you're in lane 2 and there's no hard shoulder.
Maybe higher definition maps might be useful after all

Can't really justify 5 months delay in bringing the feature for USS cars just to end up putting in a toggle switch, can they?
Being able to toggle it on or off was actually the implementation I hoped for. With two USS cars and having both processors I am eager to try it on each but want the ability to decide for myself which method I prefer. That said, by the time it comes here it's possible no choice will remain...

There is a similar situation where, in inner lanes, the car detects a speed sign for the Terminal 5 slip road running parallel with the M25 clockwise at Heathrow.

Thankfully our car does not change its speed according to speed signs. But for those cars that do, the M25 is normally running less than the slip road speed limit anyway ;)
Kids around here love using the 20 signs at the ends of roads as target practice when playing football, so more than half of them are facing the faster road in one direction. Car dutifully spots them all and updates the speed limit but only occasionally complains I’m going too fast thankfully.

Being able to toggle it on or off was actually the implementation I hoped for. With two USS cars and having both processors I am eager to try it on each but want the ability to decide for myself which method I prefer. That said, by the time it comes here it's possible no choice will remain...
I would have preferred they kept USS as a failsafe.
i.e keep the last chance warning when one of the USS would normally display 'STOP' (<8" if I recall), & abort the Tesla Vision Autopark attempt.

Again, I'll gladly accept for Tesla to take away my USS when they'll simultaneously accept liability for kerbed wheels or bumping into the parked car in front when in Vision Autopark... Seems fair.

I would have preferred they kept USS as a failsafe.
i.e keep the last chance warning when one of the USS would normally display 'STOP' (<8" if I recall), & abort the Tesla Vision Autopark attempt.

Again, I'll gladly accept for Tesla to take away my USS when they'll simultaneously accept liability for kerbed wheels or bumping into the parked car in front when in Vision Autopark... Seems fair.
I don't disagree with you but since Tesla has ditched USS on more recent cars, having a second code set for legacy cars is not something I am expecting. Not suggesting it's a bad idea but I don't see Tesla doing it. If they allow me the choice of using what I currently have or their "new way" I prefer it to taking it away completely.

Anyway it's on the 2024.3.x branch, (that has FSD 12 for the US) behind us.
So I am wondering if they intend to merge it when 2024.14 (with the new UI) will be released to the general public, or if it's likely in a much later release that will bring FSD cars on par with UI v12, like a 2024.20 for instance.. In that case we might need to wait a while...

Last edited:
On my regular route there is one of these signs which is immediately recognised by the car as a 50 limit at the sign. Stuff like this needs to be handled correctly if FSD is to be launched in the UK. Filter (arrow) traffic lights also confuse the cameras, but I thought these were common in the US?

1714395385626.png

On my regular route there is one of these signs which is immediately recognised by the car as a 50 limit at the sign. Stuff like this needs to be handled correctly if FSD is to be launched in the UK. Filter (arrow) traffic lights also confuse the cameras, but I thought these were common in the US?

View attachment 1042836
I would argue its the government's responsibility to ensure consistency with road signs like this, moving forwards, and to prohibit their use outside of strictly designated locations (e.g. not on wheelie bins like you sometimes see).

Signs like the one you've presented involve excessive cognitive load - the driver has to read the text below to understand its meaning and the fact that the limit doesn't apply right there and then. I'd perhaps argue whether there is a need for such a sign at all to be honest... perhap a "SLOW - SPEED LIMIT CHANGE AHEAD" or a new sign entirely would be more appropriate?

Reactions: JupiterMan
I would argue its the government's responsibility to ensure consistency with road signs like this, moving forwards, and to prohibit their use outside of strictly designated locations (e.g. not on wheelie bins like you sometimes see).

Signs like the one you've presented involve excessive cognitive load - the driver has to read the text below to understand its meaning and the fact that the limit doesn't apply right there and then. I'd perhaps argue whether there is a need for such a sign at all to be honest... perhap a "SLOW - SPEED LIMIT CHANGE AHEAD" or a new sign entirely would be more appropriate?
Idiocracy comes to mind...

To be fair, it is for temporary roadworks over the brow of a hill, so traffic may be slowing in front unsighted as you crest the hill. So, a useful sign, but as you say, it needs understanding and interpretation of the text.