Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Not So Merry Christmas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week, Tesla told me to expect a delivery on the 23rd, maybe the 22nd. I got my temporary tags and registration on Thursday, with high hopes, and feeling like I could tell friends and family.

Friday - Cheers and exultations!

Saturday - nada. That's OK, it's still early!! Cheers!

Sunday - nada. OK, not good. A call to md DS yielded some information: The car is in Redding (about half way home!) and should arrive tomorrow, the 24th! And I got the automated email from Tesla HQ that I should schedule the appointent for a walk-through, since my car is arriving! OK! Cheers!

Monday - nada. All day. All damn day. The DS was as frustrated as I was, not a word from the shipping company. Not. One. Word. Redding is only 1 day's transit from Portland... my Model S is probably sitting in a trailer, probably a few miles from my home.

I had told my kids that we would have to wait at home all weekend instead of doing fun things that we usually do on our weekend visit. All with the anticipation of a shiny new delivery. And that they would get to be the first ones to ride with me, and I would be driving them back to Mom's in the Model S. Hope for that before they go back home late on the 25th is gone.

Now, after three days of waiting, that's pretty much dashed.

I know, I know - third world problems. I was really hoping that my kids didn't have to learn what disappointment is after you plop down $100K on car and get a confirmed delivery date from Tesla.

Lesson to those expecting year-end/holiday deliveries: Don't believe what Tesla believes will be your delivery day. Don't count on it. I won't make that mistake again.

I don't blame Tesla, or my DS. If I talk to that driver, though...

That still sucks. They need to get this sorted out. Depending on third party shippers hasn't seemed to work for Tesla in many situations with a lack of communication about where cars among other things.

I think the issue is that as the date narrowed in, commitments were made & expectations set. Sorry, Andy. Understandable that the driver might have wanted to spend Christmas with family, totally not understandable that he didn't communicate his schedule.

Want me to go to Redding and look for your car?

This may not be the case, but in my experiences with trucking companies, not all of them care as much about your delivery as you do. I've frequently had drivers go dark on me only to resurface later with some lame story when we both know they got my calls and were ducking them to go do something else.

Communication is key, and in my experiences, many would rather keep their heads down vs communicate the situation.

Well, Merry Xmas anyway? at least the S is close.
I had a my Rav4 delivered and the truck driver ate at Taco Bell (bad idea) the night before and was super sick and then had trouble with the windy roads up to Eureka. He still made it on the day and within a few hours of the time I was told.
sorry for your kids ;<

Definitely, all your comments are right - everything from drivers needing family time, to just need to reset expectations. And thanks for the offer of the recon mission, Bonnie. I am sure I came across as a bit spoiled and cranky, but I hope that's only very temporary.

I'm glad to have this forum to vent a little; it helped me to get over myself and get back to what's really important - family.
The kids are giving me the best therapy, though, as it should be.

:)

Definitely, all your comments are right - everything from drivers needing family time, to just need to reset expectations. And thanks for the offer of the recon mission, Bonnie. I am sure I came across as a bit spoiled and cranky, but I hope that's only very temporary.

I'm glad to have this forum to vent a little; it helped me to get over myself and get back to what's really important - family.
The kids are giving me the best therapy, though, as it should be.

:)
Must have somehting to do with the S Clause in the MVPA. you did read the fine print...
santaclausefrnt2.jpg
santaclause.jpg

Did you check under the tree?
With any luck the driver will call tomorrow morning with your gift.

Last edited:
I've also heard that there has been some nasty weather near the CA / OR border. Maybe this was a contributing factor? It's definitely an unfortunate roller coaster, and you are welcome to vent here any time! :wink:

I also agree though that this gives you more valuable time with your kids! Enjoy the time and I hope you get your car soon. :smile:

Now I get to go through the same roller coaster. My DS told me that I should have the car by the end of the week, but I'm not counting on it. That way, if it does make it on time I'll be pleasantly surprised!

based on the crazy weather that we went through on our drive down I-5 from Seattle to Sacramento and what has happened since we got here, you might be glad that your S arrives in one piece! things got so bad they closed I-5 in two places. When crossed the CA border, there were literally chunks of snow falling out of the sky, they were closer to snow balls than snow flakes. the snow report shows 52 new inches in recent days. waiting sucks though, hope you get yours soon!

I wouldnt dump the blame on Tesla ... the trucking companies cant predict weather or in the case of my visit Sat to the Telsa Store, a truck breakdown and a wait for a replacement truck and that forced an unload/reload to the new carrier ....

It still sucks though....

I wouldnt dump the blame on Tesla ... the trucking companies cant predict weather or in the case of my visit Sat to the Telsa Store, a truck breakdown and a wait for a replacement truck and that forced an unload/reload to the new carrier ....

It still sucks though....

I'm not placing any blame on Tesla - I am blaming the trucking company for not communicating at all.
But, I'm focusing my mind on more important things.

Since we haven't heard from you, Andy, I'm hoping that means you're out driving your brand-new S. :)

Not quite yet. You haven't heard from me because I needed to focus on the kids, reminding myself where balance should be.

Today, I put Murphy's Law to the test: a delivery only arrives when you don't expect it.
I went in to work.
About an hour ago, Jared told me the shipper plans to deliver my Model S this afternoon. I am waiting on their call to confirm.

For those also playing The Waiting Game, the date that the shipping company gives to Tesla is apparently the date the car arrives at the shipper's detailing location near the destination. from there, the shipper does some detailing and does a local drop off. Jared is confirming this before sending out other dates for future deliveries.