Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cybertruck is more expensive to supercharge than a Ford F-150 costs in gas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BEV trucks going mainstream is going to require way more expensive gas I think at this point. While I highly doubt many 3.5l ecoboost owners are going to get 24mpg combined in daily use, I know I don't, today it's easily worth any energy cost premium for the capability of gas. I still do most of my daily driving in a BEV, but my ICE f150 isn't going anywhere and I'd replace it with another one today if I had to. It's not even close comparing the convenience of a 36g tank to even a MYLR when you're doing trips, traveling rural, and doing more than commuting within a 100 mile or so radius. The charging performance and infrastructure just isn't there and the cost to buy isn't even that close either on the trucks. I just can't see anyone using the trucks for work as either a contractor, a weekend boater, RV puller, or just someone who just likes to go camping in rural places finding a BEV truck at their current prices that compelling when you really look at the data. A shop truck that stays local and is plugged in every night and never needs DCFC, maybe IF it can meet the 99% daily use case.

YMMV, plenty are buying BEVs anyway and gas trucks aren't going away, but I think with the underwhelming range/charging/usability performance of especially the CT, it just doesn't make a lot of sense and I don't see that changing in the near future. I was hoping Tesla would show the rest of the industry how it's done and instead they unveiled all the features truck owners, at least those like me, don't care that much about (48v, sbw, exo/unibody/whatever, gimmicky styling, not even a ****ing spare tire location, etc, etc) and underperformed on the thing Tesla is known to be best at in the industry, charging and efficiency to create a usable practical compelling product, despite the "elonisms" of their vehicles. The miles added at 20-25 minutes of charging is still a joke imo. I'm glad they made it, but what a disappointment so far. But hey, if you live in Cali with lots of infrastructure and want it as a cool commuter you can do errands in and haul things around in, great, go for it.

Gas goes to $7+ a gallon (which doesn't feel that far off in the right political environment), we'll talk.
All of the EV trucks are for urban dwelling yuppies. In truth, most pickup trucks are for urban dwellers who can't even tell you what the difference between a class I and a class III receiver is, but some trucks are used for commercial obviously, and I cannot see any of the current EV trucks actually being good for commercial. High cost, hassle charging, terrible range on towing is something impacting all of them.

I do want a cybertruck, but as things look now when the lease is up on my ram 1500 I anticipate either buying it out or leasing another.

I think the CT is pretty amazing in a lot of ways (and I want one because I am an urban dwelling yuppy type), but as a work truck for a general contractor, or somebody who regularly tows it fails just like all of its compatriots. You can buy a ram 1500 classic, 4WD for mid 40's right now. Or spend $70k+ on a cybertruck. As a work vehicle it makes no sense at all. The dynamics of all these would change at $6-7/gallon gas, assuming electricity rates stayed where they are. The truth is our gas prices are similar right now to what they were 15 years ago. It's a hard sell. Moreover, some of the people here are paying outrageous electricity prices. I pay all-in about $.13/kWh. If I was paying $.30+ like some here I wouldn't have bought a tesla.

There's really no surprise here. Supercharger rates are extremely high, and should be used to get between destination chargers only.
That depends on where you are, they aren't extremely high here in Oregon. Where I am it is actually cheaper to charge at the Supercharger for a portion of the day, and even at the off-peak times it is only a little more expensive. (At home it is like 9/17/43 cents/kWh while at the Supercharger is 10/21 cents/kWh.)

Reactions: ucmndd
Depending on the price of gas, EV charging only saves me 10% to 15% and I charge at home during off-peak. Agree, if you don’t have a home charger don’t buy an EV. I’ve never had the need to use a SC, I‘ve got down to single digits but made it home. I did try a SC once just to make sure it worked, all I’ll say is the Taco’s next door were good.

That’s insanely low. When was the last time you looked at the price, 1970?
Until around 2019, that was my rate after 10PM. 4.5 cents per kWh. It’s up to 11 cents now.

Santee Cooper in South Carolina (if that's your utility) has regular residential rates as well as EV experimental rates. If you are on the EV rate, there is a monthly charge of $19.50 and then on peak energy is 25 cents/kWh, off-peak energy is 9 cents/kWh and super off-peak is 4 cents/kWh. Not really fair to ignore the monthly service fee and claim 5 cent energy all the time...

It’s actually fair to not include the base charge. You pay that no matter what if you want power to your home.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
It’s actually fair to not include the base charge. You pay that no matter what if you want power to your home.
Years ago, there were no base charges. Energy was priced by the kWh. Now, for various reasons, including the adoption of solar, etc., utilities are trying to shift over to a model of a base charge plus reduced prices per kWh. If you really want to compare apples vs. apples pricing for energy, you have to take base charges into account. As an exagerated example, if utility 1's pricing is $100 per month and 1 cent per kWh and utility 2's pricing is no base charge and 20 cents per kWh, it's pretty obvious that you can't just compare kWh pricing and say #1 is 1 cent while #2 is 20 cents...That doesn't make any sense...

Reactions: buckets0fun
Years ago, there were no base charges. Energy was priced by the kWh. Now, for various reasons, including the adoption of solar, etc., utilities are trying to shift over to a model of a base charge plus reduced prices per kWh. If you really want to compare apples vs. apples pricing for energy, you have to take base charges into account. As an exagerated example, if utility 1's pricing is $100 per month and 1 cent per kWh and utility 2's pricing is no base charge and 20 cents per kWh, it's pretty obvious that you can't just compare kWh pricing and say #1 is 1 cent while #2 is 20 cents...That doesn't make any sense...
You’d have to take a percentage then. If my house used 3,800 kWh in August for example and my car used 800kWh, you wouldn’t assign the entire $20 base charge to the car. But the such a small number anyway, it doesn’t have a major impact of fuel costs for a comparison.

Yes, if the base charge is $100 then than changes things. But again, if you want power to your home you pay the base charge no matter what. That’d be like telling someone it costs $160 to run your refrigerator a month because you assign the entire $100 base charge to one appliance.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Obviously, people are going to have electricity at their homes either way, stuck with the base rate regardless of if they charge an EV at home or not.

So, to calculate what it cost to fuel your EV, just considering the kwh rate seems fair to me. Also need to add 13% to that which is what is wasted during LVL2 charging. 10% for LVL1.

Ironically, in many of the places where EVs are often shunned due to local politics, the electricity rates are very low making them an improved value in those locations.

There's really no surprise here. Supercharger rates are extremely high, and should be used to get between destination chargers only.
I never supercharge except for road trips. It’s too expensive and bad for battery health long term . I don’t even have home charging so I use a paid level 2 down the street. It’s much cheaper than gas.

I pay $0.08 all day to charge here in Atlanta at home. I did not want to do the $0.05-$0.04 they offered because I'd you mess that up and charge or run the dishwasher or dryer too long you're screwed. So i just do 8 cents. But all day.

My MYP has 35,000 miles and tires are still not a replacement yet. They are actually really good and i drive fast around 75-85mph in Atlanta accelerate at 1/2 max mostly. Mostly highway miles.

My old 2017 F150 crew can 3.5L V6 got 23mpg but again mostly highway in a warm climate. I think that's about as good as an F150 can get.

I spent 82% less to drive.

I pay $0.08 all day to charge here in Atlanta at home. I did not want to do the $0.05-$0.04 they offered because I'd you mess that up and charge or run the dishwasher or dryer too long you're screwed. So i just do 8 cents. But all day.

My MYP has 35,000 miles and tires are still not a replacement yet. They are actually really good and i drive fast around 75-85mph in Atlanta accelerate at 1/2 max mostly. Mostly highway miles.

My old 2017 F150 crew can 3.5L V6 got 23mpg but again mostly highway in a warm climate. I think that's about as good as an F150 can get.

I spent 82% less to drive.

I think the comparison is on the road away from home. Charging at home is a no brainer.

I think the comparison is on the road away from home. Charging at home is a no brainer.
Why would that be a good comparison? Is it because fueling up at home isn’t an option? How about we let people who try to abuse the mass with narratives that favor them while we critically think for ourselves?

Tesla as a business needs to charge a margin on top of what the local utility charges it. As an investor, I hope Tesla will charge more or as much as it can to non-Tesla charging EV’s. This isn’t charity.

Why would that be a good comparison? Is it because fueling up at home isn’t an option? How about we let people who try to abuse the mass with narratives that favor them while we critically think for ourselves?

Tesla as a business needs to charge a margin on top of what the local utility charges it. As an investor, I hope Tesla will charge more or as much as it can to non-Tesla charging EV’s. This isn’t charity.

Relax. Your stock is safe.

No one is asking Tesla to lower their charging prices. We are talking about battery size and why Tesla and Ford both believe in smaller battery packs vs bigger packs like Chevy is going for.

Faster Charging and Cost to charge are priority.

As far as fueling at home, there’s no need. Five minute stop and you are done.

Thanks. Regarding battery capacity/ size, how often did we discuss optimal fuel tank size? If we were to spec an EV for daily normal family use, how many miles per full charge would we want…knowing the higher the number, the heavier the battery hence less efficiency? Do we simply want as many miles as possible for cheap marketing purposes which has been GM’s approach?

It’s a bit of a digression but I can’t help but wonder how GM has gone unbothered with its repeated “hands-free driving” narrative in its ad blitz.

Last edited: