Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some politicians wanting to ban <> Banning

Afaik, nothing is decided yet, so this is good news and may actually help the ban coming through.

Nevertheless, hadn’t it been for Tesla…
Well, according to Registreringer av nye elbiler i Norge all-time top sellers in Norway are the Nissan Leaf and VW e-Golf (to be overtaken relatively soon by the Model Y), so I don't think Tesla takes _all_ the credit. But I'm sure that Tesla's approach helped prove it would work.

Axium's Razor at play.

Haha, I think you mean Gillette's Razor... cause this plan is disposable. :p

Shaved the 200-day Moving Average at 09:34 ET this morning:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-10-20.09-35.png

Cheers to the 2Ongs!

I’ve been around for a few rodeos. The first home loan I had was at 6.5%. I never had one under 6%. That never stopped me from buying a house, but it did influence what I bought. Car loans were more than that and terms were 3years with rule of 78s interest calcs. Didn’t stop me from buying cars. It did mean I bought manuals, no power anything cars. Interest rates are within the “normal “ range now. Zero interest rates helped put us in the mess we’re in, and I hope we never see them again. I agree with Mr. Musk’s feelings about where we( and Tesla) are at the moment. Also, all the easy conversions have been made in Tesla’s current markets. The hard slog against entrenched brands begins. My guesstimate is that Tesla needs to get another $5000 out of 3andY prices to make the argument compelling and the monthly payment figure reasonable. All indications are that Tesla is hard at work at getting that$5000 out of the cost of both models. I’m encouraged somewhat by the negativity Of the call. He gets it.
The TAM of buyers boils down to the monthly payment as a % of monthly income. I'm not up on real estate, but 30% ratio comes to mind in order to qualify, 30 yr fixed. So roughly 6.5% on 1/2M home is $3K/month plus tax and ins (and more like 7% rates now). You'd need to show >$10K/month income.

That's not the middle class anymore. Bottom line, wages have not caught up yet... hence the UAW strike.

However, I've never been to a rodeo (unless they call the Calgary Stampede a rodeo 🤷‍♂️).

The TAM of buyers boils down to the monthly payment as a % of monthly income. I'm not up on real estate, but 30% ratio comes to mind in order to qualify, 30 yr fixed. So roughly 6.5% on 1/2M home is $3K/month plus tax and ins (and more like 7% rates now). You'd need to show >$10K/month income.

That's not the middle class anymore. Bottom line, wages have not caught up yet... hence the UAW strike.

However, I've never been to a rodeo (unless they call the Calgary Stampede a rodeo 🤷‍♂️).
Yup.

It’s between rates, cost of items and wages. Something has to give.

I’d prefer rates and cost of items drop rather than wages increase. Many people will not have access to higher wages but everyone has access to lower rates/prices.

See, this sort of post is why I made an account. Many likes for this tweet which is obvious trash.

This is becoming obnoxious.

You see, if this source were correct (after posting > 5,000 per week estimates for all of Q3), then Tesla would have produced ~ 75k to 80k cars in Berlin.

@Troy estimates Berlin produced 45,000.

45k, not 75k

3500 per week, not 6000 / week. Not 5000 / week. Not even 4000 / week.

The cognitive dissonance is amazing.
I think the tweet is saying the uptick just happened. So this is possible. But basing the estimate entirely on VINs is not so reliable.

I don't think we need to reserve judgement. 250k won't be nearly enough but that is okay.
I think you are right. And if we see high demand in the midwest where trucks rule and EV adoption has been slow, look out!

I'm very anxious to see if Cybertruck really starts to steal market share from the big three. I think it will be a must-have for traditional truck buyers if it is seen as the toughest truck on the planet. I hope that during the delivery event they redo all the same demos with the sledge hammer and even redo glass demo (without breakage this time).

CT has a lower Cd - good for range including towing
Even Elon seems to downplay your point about lower Cd, but it's a good one. A big reason for not going with a traditional pickup shape is that the drag is obnoxiously bad. We often fail to appreciate how much the radical new design was driven by necessity.

Shucks, that is a very good point. 😔

Considering Tesla has a China factory, would this restriction on Graphite export allow them to manufacture locally and then export finished products (parts) to their other factories?

If so, this ban wouldn't be much of a deterrent for the Big T.
For everyone else planning on China as a Graphite source the ban could be painful.

Last edited:
See, this sort of post is why I made an account. Many likes for this tweet which is obvious trash.

This is becoming obnoxious.

You see, if this source were correct (after posting > 5,000 per week estimates for all of Q3), then Tesla would have produced ~ 75k to 80k cars in Berlin.

@Troy estimates Berlin produced 45,000.

45k, not 75k

3500 per week, not 6000 / week. Not 5000 / week. Not even 4000 / week.

The cognitive dissonance is amazing.
Some people look only for the positive news.
Others look ONLY for the negative.

May I suggest trying to at least find the middle?

And no, I don't need anyone to inform me about risk's to my investment.

Yup.

It’s between rates, cost of items and wages. Something has to give.

I’d prefer rates and cost of items drop rather than wages increase. Many people will not have access to higher wages but everyone has access to lower rates/prices.
In Italy, prices have escalated quickly post covid/post Ukraine. Right now you can find an espresso for 1.30€. Very often 1.20. Few years ago it was 1, 1.10 max.
Ten years ago I could have breakfast with 2€, now is 3€. I'm talking probably the single most purchased item in Italy per day. The rest follows, everything is up but the wages. This summer we had like 40% increase in the cost per vacation.

Instead they make the same mistakes that delayed the model x, making thing complicated. Fool me once shame on…

One of Tesla's operating tactics, though not explicitly stated, is to make and sell as many vehicles as they can of as few models and options as they can get away with. Truly mass manufacturing of each product for efficiency gains. This is in stark contrast to the other manufacturers....like Ford and GM that each sell several SUV models of nearly the same size and functionality, but still require different production lines due to assorted tweaks that are really mostly cosmetic....and unique advertising for each so customers can believe that one model best fits their unique life. Even within a model, they offer tons of options...base interior with a 4" screen with several options all the way up to a big screen and completely different dashboard and seats. I think there are 7 or more different front fascia/grill versions for the F150 depending on which version you buy. And today, those other guys are boasting about goals to produce 20-30 EV models in a few years. I think in 2021, Toyota said their goal was 3.5 million EVs by 2030 with 30 different models....so just over 100,000 of each? And probably further dividing each model with multiple trim levels and option packages. Compare the manufacturing efficiency to what Tesla does....

Anyway, back to Tesla:

Sure, the Model X was later than originally expected...but I think the X was actually announced and shown before the S was truly for sale, and at the time, I believe Tesla expected demand for the S to top out at 10,000 per year. S demand was way higher, so Tesla spent the resources to expand that production capacity. I have always suspected that decision also meant slowing down (or diverting resources from) X design and production setup...and to me, that was the right choice. It just makes for a more efficient operation to scale up the car you know to 50,000 per year, instead of trying to split resources and start trying to produce the X when they haven't even figured out how to make the S in mass quantities. And, of course, it also would have meant splitting the battery supply at the time...so, in total, they wouldn't have been selling more cars in 2014 (before the X actually came out) if they had gotten the X to market faster, but they would have spent a whole lot more money and be operating less efficiently.

Cybertruck is similar. Sure...they could have had it to market in, say, 2020, if they went with a ladder frame design and figured out how to wedge almost as many battery cells into it....but what batteries? Should they have reduced 3 and Y production at the time? Somehow convinced Panasonic to scale up faster at Giga Nevada? Convinced Chinese manufacturers to scale faster and ship batteries to the US? Tesla just hasn't ever had enough extra batteries lined up to justify a completely additional car model....that's why they had to shift toward making their own with the 4680, while still saying they'd buy every qualified cell that suppliers could sell them. And even today, 4680 with suitable improvements is just getting to scale. Knowing that there weren't multiple GWh's of extra batteries lying around 2-3 years ago, producing a truck in quantity back then would have required Tesla to slow down some other production plans. Would we have preferred to keep Model Y production artificially slow and less efficient back then so Tesla could get a bland "normal" pickup on the road on an inefficient small-numbers production line? Or do we like Tesla's strategy if big numbers, when ready, for efficiency?

OT but macro related to Tesla's cautious tone... I have a theory that AirBnB is one of the root cause of the housing crisis, inflation, and increased homelessness.

AirBnB Check In/Out is touch-less now. I never need to meet anyone to move in or out. (Last one, I had to pile all my sheets, clean up, empty trash, set the thermostat, lock window, even more...) This system became so easy to parse it out like your own hotel room, especially with the insurance backing by AirBnB along with the whole rating system on both ends. And with such value, I prefer these over hotels now. Hmmm, think about that.

As real estate value increased, homeowners quickly learned that there was a residual income waiting for them by buying even more rentals $$$ at low interest rates. As homes became more scarce, the available market for primary residences shrunk. This is a positive feedback loop. We essentially made housing a stock with a dividend. As the home values increased, home equity loans were taken out for some re-investments + spending part of it on F-150 Raptors at crazy prices. This was/is a house of cards and the banks are in trouble as Elon stated, and not just for the cars.

Now we have many homes tied up in a "business" while utilization has dropped because almost no AirBnB is 100% rented and most are seasonal. Overall, the net supply of housing utilization (and availability as a "home") shrank IMO. I heard a figure that there were 5M empty homes and only 500K homeless in the USA... go figure. Not sure how we define an empty home today though.

Yup. You have to decontent a house or car to get back to normal. No granite countertops ot tile floors, 25% less floor space, etc. same for car. AM radio, no leather, few bells and whistles. We are spoiled. Rodeos are fun. I think the Stampede qualifies.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Sounds like we might need to increase our kWh estimates!

This is quite disappointing, starting at over 8000 lbs and at least one version above 9000 lbs, Rivian starts at 7500 lbs, F150 base is 6015 lbs and LR 6600 lbs

Specs better blow past every other EV truck, specially on range

Edit: this is GVWR, maximum total weight it can operate, if payload is still 3500 lbs for all variants, one should be at maximum 5500 lbs, and another maximum 6500 lbs, LFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!