Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fairly big frunk? You must be seeing a different video than I am. The frunk in my old S is about three times bigger.

edit: Very nice to see more trucks appearing though - can't wait for production to start up in earnest.
3 times?

Proportions change and people say weird things. Rewatch it and see the width/height/depth again.

Unless your MS is different.

Fairly big frunk? You must be seeing a different video than I am. The frunk in my old S is about three times bigger.

edit: Very nice to see more trucks appearing though - can't wait for production to start up in earnest.
It seems Tesla prioritized the CT to fit in more garages while having 4 doors and a decent bed vs a large “lightning size” frunk. A wise decision IMO.

I wonder if a single post/cable can handle 2MW. The slide does say greater than 1MW:

View attachment 962451

Also cool in that video: Pepsi says they are averaging using less energy than the 1.7Kwh/mi the trucks are rated at...
Good question.
The NACS documents call out a 900Amp test on the car sized cable and connector. So I expect the larger Semi version easily surpass that.
2000 amps with 35 A/mm^2 = 57 mm^2 crosssection (0 gauge) = 8.5 mm diameter * 10 meters of cable (round trip) = 3 mOhm, if copper @ 2kA = 12kW heat. which is less than 1% loss at 800V.
Guessing they use a fatter cable.

For reference, the MCS V1 connector (round pins) is speced at 3000 Amps. Max voltage 1.5kV, recommended limit is 1.25kV .

It seems Tesla prioritized the CT to fit in more garages while having 4 doors and a decent bed vs a large “lightning size” frunk. A wise decision IMO.

The CT frunk looks smaller than the Lightning frunk but easier to access than the R1T frunk. It's a decent compromise which allows the more cab forward design of the CT, which is more important in my opinion.

Cruise and Waymo are expanding real robo-taxi services.

This is problematic for TSLA investors, as margins have been compressed, many of this forum have changed their tune to focusing more on FSD as the main driver of future earnings growth.

Yes Waymo and Cruise rely on Lidar and HD maps (big nothingburgers) and bigger computers that cost more $$$, but they are beginning to capture the hearts and minds of people who experience this new technology. Unlike sexy EVs, Tesla is not at the forefront and will not be the brand associated with the tech.

Meanwhile Tesla is nowhere close to starting robotaxi services. Even if the software improves 10x, it won't be good enough for robotaxi. It likely needs to get 100x better, so that's going to take a few years. And then on top of that, its going to take time to actually ramp robotaxi services (and work out the kinks) even after the software is a safe driver.

So Cruise and Waymo are going to have another 2-3 years of easy expansion (much like Tesla did in EVs for a decade).

While Tesla may overcome this at some point, I don't see how this could be good for valuation in the next few years. How will investors gain confidence Tesla can actually secure much of this market when they see competitors way out ahead earning robotaxi revenue and growing services rapidly?

Another big concern of mine has been inflation and interest rates. Inflation is doing okay - generally low enough currently but some core measures still a bit too high. But the bigger concern is that the economy is doing just fine with higher interest rates. So much so that the current "yield inversion" might revert not by short term rates going lower, but long term rates (10 year) going up. That's what just happened the past few days and probably why the market sold off. This may be a sign of higher interest rates persisting for a longer period of time.

As Elon stated on Q2 call, interest rates really affect affordabiilty of Teslas. This may indicate chronically lower affordability for years. If true, it is unlikely high earnings growth will come roaring back (it is presently near 0). Except for Tesla Energy.

I'm with you, good to see production is getting closer but the frunk looks to be 1/2 of my lightning. The frunk in the Lightning is..awesome. The battery management/reporting not so much- just not as accurate as our familys teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12

This is problematic for TSLA investors, as margins have been compressed, many of this forum have changed their tune to focusing more on FSD as the main driver of future earnings growth.

Yes Waymo and Cruise rely on Lidar and HD maps (big nothingburgers) and bigger computers that cost more $$$, but they are beginning to capture the hearts and minds of people who experience this new technology. Unlike sexy EVs, Tesla is not at the forefront and will not be the brand associated with the tech.

Meanwhile Tesla is nowhere close to starting robotaxi services. Even if the software improves 10x, it won't be good enough for robotaxi. It likely needs to get 100x better, so that's going to take a few years. And then on top of that, its going to take time to actually ramp robotaxi services (and work out the kinks) even after the software is a safe driver.

So Cruise and Waymo are going to have another 2-3 years of easy expansion (much like Tesla did in EVs for a decade).

While Tesla may overcome this at some point, I don't see how this could be good for valuation in the next few years. How will investors gain confidence Tesla can actually secure much of this market when they see competitors way out ahead earning robotaxi revenue and growing services rapidly?
You've hit the key point here is that by the time Tesla enters the profitable larger markets Waymo and others will already be there crushing margins. It will get bloody quickly (great for consumers) but bad for margins. 2025 Waymo starts receiving bulk deliveries of the chinese made for waymo robotaxi.

It sounds you assume Tesla's valuation is based on them running their own internal robotaxi service as opposed to people or companies buying Teslas and then allowing them to operate at robotaxis.

Elon Musk Just Unveiled His Vision for Tesla's Robotaxi -- Should Uber Be Worried? | The Motley Fool
To be clear, the robotaxi won't necessarily be a new Tesla model. Instead, Musk's goal is to have as many customer-owned Teslas serving as robotaxis as possible by having them install the company's self-driving software.

As to exposure, Uber drivers and riders prefer Teslas.

As Elon stated on Q2 call, interest rates really affect affordabiilty of Teslas. This may indicate chronically lower affordability for years. If true, it is unlikely high earnings growth will come roaring back (it is presently near 0). Except for Tesla Energy.
Interest rates impact affordability of all cars, not just Teslas. What Elon actually said

Tesla (TSLA) Q2 2023 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool
And, you know -- and then, obviously, another challenge is the -- the interest rate environment. As interest rates rise, the affordability of anything bought with that decreases, so effectively increasing the price of the car. So, when interest rates rise dramatically, we actually have to reduce the price of the car because the -- the interest payments increase the price of the car. So -- and this is at least -- at least up until recently was to believe the sharpest interest rate rise in history.

The total cost comparison between new cars can flip based on rates, deoending on if the Tesla is more expensive to start with and amount financed.

It sounds you assume Tesla's valuation is based on them running their own internal robotaxi service as opposed to people or companies buying Teslas and then allowing them to operate at robotaxis.

As to exposure, Uber drivers and riders prefer Teslas.

Interest rates impact affordability of all cars, not just Teslas. What Elon actually said

The total cost comparison between new cars can flip based on rates, deoending on if the Tesla is more expensive to start with and amount financed.
who knows what tesla will do re robotaxis? When the time comes it will be worth debating but til then it is all rather academic. What makes sense today might not make so much sense in 4-5 years or 6-7 years.

Reactions: navguy12

Brilliant! Until these are available outside China, Tesla offers the air filter as an emergency tray for travel kitties.
Super absorbent, filters everything!

1691247143338.png

Hmmm.
Cruise and Waymo need LIDAR so their cars will never be as cheap as a Tesla robotaxi to build. The HD maps requirement means that they will only ever work in large populated urban areas with a ton of demand. Waymo are never sending an HD mapping car down my road, trust me.
And I have missed the announcement of the cruise/waymo supercharger roll-out, which means ironically they will probably be paying Tesla to charge their cars anyway.
Plus... the brand associated with the tech? Are you serious? Maybe in the 0.001% of the USA (one market) where they offer a service right now. I remember being in a heavy metal band that was very popular in a certain town in Devon, UK, but we were definitely not globally associated with the music.
As for capturing hearts and minds:
They cant work in fog:
They make people feel sick and stop in the wrong place:
They anger local residents because of where they park:
They block traffic and colide:

Yeah, I think I'll not be worried about waymo or cruise, even if they carry out a massive expansion soon to cover 0.002% of the US, I think I'll keep my Tesla stock.

How will investors gain confidence Tesla can actually secure much of this market when they see competitors way out ahead earning robotaxi revenue and growing services rapidly?

Simply by ignoring FUD, like that which you so amply provide.

Another way would be to count the number of these vehicles the competitors have on the road currently growing this tremendous revenue and providing services, and then compare that to the number of FSD-ready Teslas that are already available to be Robotaxis. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the term "orders of magnitude" and how this might be something worth taking into account.

Last edited:
Simply by ignoring FUD, like that which you so amply provide.

Another way would be to count the number of these vehicles the competitors have on the road currently growing this tremendous revenue and providing services, and then compare that to the number of FSD-ready Teslas that are already available to be Robotaxis.
I ignore FUD like I ignore this troll.