Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If no ethanol forcing, fuel would fall immediately. The ethanol is more expensive than petro so the refineries would jump at the chance to stop buying ethanol and prices would fall. This would dump a huge amount of corn back into the market. Many growers would fail or switch to other commodities. Grain prices worldwide would likely take a bit of a hit as this giant bit of commodity corn hits the world market. Grain fed beef would become cheaper. The ag version of Fannie Mae would likely need propping up because they backed many of the ethanol production loans, dozens of plants would close.
Box of corn chex would fall.

I would recommend a class in economics. Then a study of farming in the USA.

Incorrect. The ethanol is subsidized and the subsidized price is cheaper than the gasoline it is blended with. The price of gasoline would immediately rise if ethanol was no longer subsidized and mandated and refineries would profit handsomely with 9% more demand. Most of us live near gas stations that offer ethanol-free gasoline and it always costs considerably more. The price of the subsidized ethanol that is blended with gasoline is under the wholesale price of gasoline and this is one more subsidy to ICE over EV.

Another factor that would cause the price of gasoline to immediately rise if ethanol was not subsidized and mandated would be the sudden 9% increase in demand for gasoline. The US market would suddenly need 9% more refined gasoline which would temporarily strain the supply and cause price spiking.

Please note that I am not arguing in favor of ethanol subsidies or mandates, nor am I addressing the effects on food supply. I'm simply saying that the price of gasoline would not immediately fall if the mandates were removed. Quite the opposite of what you state as fact. Ethanol is a subject that the oil producers/refiners have lobbied against for years, both publicly and privately however, I do think they have quieted down during this transition to EV's as they have realized the subsidies help them compete with EVs. The net result of decades of lobbying is there is a lot of misinformation circulating in the public sphere and the truth of the matter is not nearly as clear-cut as many people believe. Never under-estimate the power of misinformation to distort public opinion.

That's not very promising for the future of Nissan.

TSLA trading very flat today after it's initial runup. Eh, that's better than nosediving! :D
Autos represent 3.3% of Japan's GDP and at least 20% of it's manufacturing base.

I think Japan might be in for some rough times ahead. It's not like they have any big growing industries elsewhere to take up the slack. (unless I'm missing something)

Is this supposed to be inspiring, Nissan? I mean, do you think by 2030 half the buying public will want to buy your pure ICEs??
Why not just say "🎉 By 2030, we plan to be on the road to irrelevancy! 🥳"

I suspect the laggers will milk hybrids for PARTS SALES and Service the next 20 years past the last batch sold. I think that's the plan to fund their existence beyond the EV conversion globally. Their ICE lines will die off, leaving parts and maybe something truly EV worthy by then after some heavy downsizing.

As fewer gas customers show up at the pumps, some pumps will close and lack of demand starts drying up the oil supply so gas prices rise even more - that's if you can find it. Affordability will win the day by Tesla example, and a Hybrid just reeks of maintenance fees. I think people will catch on in short order, mostly from their friends and family, or first hand unfortunately.

Interesting survey results! I'd like to add a few additional questions for my analysis.

Survey Part 2

1. How many shares do you own?

2. What is your trading account #?

3. What was your high school mascot?

4. What was the name of your first childhood pet?

5. What was the name of your first best friend?

Thanks!
I don't know why you need this info, but okay.

1. 8,888,888
2. 420-129-69
3. Coding Pythons
4. Mr. Mouse Nutz
5. Elon

Maybe an out of warranty Leaf with no DC fast charging and severe battery degradation.

A few years ago my brother bought a used Leaf in like new condition for something ridiculous, like $4K. He uses it for local travel and it works great. They also have plenty of ICE cars/trucks. Fully charged the Leaf's range is down to 60 miles (with degradation). Funny thing is, that's where many Tesla drivers start getting nervous. I asked him if he doesn't get nervous and he said, sure, when it gets down to around 5 miles range left and he knows that's about how far he has to go home.

Everything is relative!

The Times article on GM can be found here: TIME100 Most Influential Companies 2021: General Motors
Of interest is within the article Tesla is mentioned six times and Elon Musk is either mentioned or referenced three times.
Eben Shapiro calls a spade a spade and opens the article with facts (copied below) and his questions to Mary Barra are very pointed and shows knowledge of GM's failed past. Eben asks all the right questions, most of which any here on TMC would ask Mary if they had the opportunity. I can't speak for Mary Barra's answers, however as noted by other posters, she skirts the questions well.
Kudos to Eben Shapiro and TIMES magazine. I think they did a balanced job of reporting.

BY EBEN SHAPIRO
APRIL 26, 2021 11:00 PM EDT
For more than a year, from her wood-paneled home office, Mary Barra has been leading General Motors on a quest that, if successful, will be one of the most consequential reinventions in corporate history. GM is playing serious catchup in the electric-vehicle game, and success is far from certain for the legacy carmaker that sold fewer than 21,000 EVs in the U.S. last year. Market leader Tesla accounted for an astonishing 79% of all U.S. EV registrations in 2020, according to Automotive News.(GM’s Bolt was the only non-Tesla model in the top five slots.)
99% fluff

A few years ago my brother bought a used Leaf in like new condition for something ridiculous, like $4K. He uses it for local travel and it works great. They also have plenty of ICE cars/trucks. Fully charged the Leaf's range is down to 60 miles (with degradation). Funny thing is, that's where many Tesla drivers start getting nervous. I asked him if he doesn't get nervous and he said, sure, when it gets down to around 5 miles range left and he knows that's about how far he has to go home.

Everything is relative!
Especially siblings. ;)

That was published by Time 7 months ago. :rolleyes:

The important part was this:
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 1.27.43 PM.png

Seems to imply that the story/cover was bought - "secured" - not like TIME came looking., with journalistic integrity. cheers!!

Last edited:
From my trading platform's newsfeed - 13:22 EST:

Mirae Asset Securites Lifts Tesla's Price Target to $1,466 From $937, Maintains Buy Rating

BusinessHala - today: Tesla’s Top Price Targets Now Almost $1,500. No One Seemed to Notice — Twice.

Excerpt:

On Friday, China Securities analyst Zhu Ye began coverage of Tesla (ticker: TSLA) with a buy rating and a $1,485 price target. On Monday, Mirae Securities analyst Park Yeon-joo roughly matched it. Yeon-joo raised its target price from $937 per share to $1,466. She also rates the shares.