Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But there's a reason that the shorts are able to manipulate the SP, and that's because the big money is mostly sitting on the sidelines.

I disagree the reason the shorts are able to manipulate the share price is that the "big money" is sitting on the sidelines. The real reason is the "big money" is the shorts (or at least has the same goal, to destroy or slow down Tesla). It's not sitting on the sidelines. The share price could go as high as you like and the shorts are still going to be able to impact it because they have big money behind them.

Last I checked, Tesla didn't own any media/news conglomerates, advertising agencies, oil production or reserves, pipelines, heavy equipment manufacturers, etc.

Yes, but revenues were down 41% QOQ.

There are good reasons for that:

1) Seasonality of car sales
2) Tesla's transition to overseas sales during Q1.
3) Tax credit expiration push-forward.

Why do you think it's typical for quarterly car sales to be compared to the year-ago quarter? And that's without considering factors #2 and #3. When all three factors are considered, it should be assumed the sales QoQ would be down, not up.

...I wonder where a sample of TSLA longs and shorts would fall on the marshmallow test? ...
From your link to that test:
...Test subjects were 16 boys and 16 girls attending the Bing Nursery School of Stanford University. Three other subjects were run, but eliminated because of their failure to comprehend the instructions. ...
You see? They even entered three shorts in the original test!

With the latest Dutch data available, it seems like NL/Spain/Norway is close to the record deliveries of last quarter: EV registration statistics for The Netherlands, Norway and Spain
Some notable messages on the benelux fb groups:
- somebody claiming a home delivery today (on sunday)
- some Dutch guy claiming to have just received his Model 3 in Groningen. Could have been yesterday.
We’ll see if the numbers still go up but the quarter ends in less than 10 minutes in Europe.

D6B3C842-DC5F-4922-B322-F1D12549F7CC.jpeg

The admin of one of the Benelux (closed) FB groups caught a spectacular crash on his Model 3 dashcam today in Germany. I expect the footage to be on a certain EV enthusiast site tomorrow. Apparently dashcams are illegal in Germany, but the German police was happy to get the footage.
Sooner or later the general public will realise the value of this dascam feature, and as far as I know, only Tesla has this built in by default. Just like Sentry mode catching thiefs and vandals, it raises awareness about Tesla.

[QUOTE="Sancho, post: 3796755, Yes, but revenues were down 41% QOQ.
Tesla needs to demonstrate that Q1 was an aberration. I think they will, you think they will, but big money needs to see the numbers.[/QUOTE]

If you look at global EV sales and even ICE sales, there is always a drop from Q4 to Q1. The short thesis that a drop in Q1 signifies a demand cliff was clearly proven wrong. Shorts like to cherry pick month over month or QOQ. The first month and even the second is always much less than the 3rd month of the quarter yet they will say July production dropped significantly from June and call it a credit cliff next month, no demand confirmed. They also try to look at current production and extrapolate annual production based off of a constant rate, ignoring production rate growth towards the end of the year. They also are conveniently neglecting any GF3 production because that is never going to happen in their eyes. Study the month to month and quarter to quarter trends from all years past and this pattern is clear as it applies to all manufacturers, especially Tesla.
48144929496_1605629344_b.jpg

Another example: BMW cars, see how Q1 is always less than Q4?

SmartSelect_20190630-153346_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
The very end of this video I think sums up why Wall Street just doesn't get Tesla, and probably will not get it for a long time. The last thing said in this clip by the guy in the pink shirt (sorry, don't know his name) where he says "5 years is a long time. I want to see what they'll do tomorrow."

They have no desire to see future projections. They don't care about coming technology. They only care about production and delivery numbers NOW. They can not and will not value this company on anything else. The odd thing is that when given those numbers and shown exponential growth YOY, they just move their projections to support their thesis.

I am really trying to understand their side of the argument...I really am. I just can't get their arguments to make any sense in my head. They just raised plenty of cash to see them through the immediate short term. They are showing sales that are in the neighborhood of 100% YOY growth seemingly ensuring cash to support their growth going forward.

What am I missing here?

Dan

That’s Tim Seymour, Recently he disclosed he was short the stock. Not sure if he still is... The Fast Money traders talk their book, it’s one of the reasons to do the show....

The investment time horizon? ARK has a five year horizon for TSLA. Tomorrow-guy sounds like a short-term trader.

I wonder where a sample of TSLA longs and shorts would fall on the marshmallow test? I'd expect longs to be much better at deferring gratification.
i for 1 data point continue to very slowly, in retirement, DCA on irregular intervals

Reactions: BBone
I'm with you, but Tesla's most recently reported quarter showed sales that were tapering, generating massive losses. When Tesla actually reports what you suggest: "sales that are in the neighborhood of 100% YOY growth seemingly ensuring cash to support their growth going forward" , then sentiment will change. In the next several quarters Tesla is likely to post the kind of numbers that look like a sustainably growing business, but that hasn't happened yet, and a lot of money is going to stay on the sidelines until those numbers are actually reported.
Even last quarter...their highly touted "disaster" quarter, they were STILL over 100% growth over Q1 2018.

What gives?

Dan

Just looked at Google news feed for Tesla. It seems like the FUD is working overtime to downplay the upcoming Q2 sales number. Either the goal posts are moved or “their profit margin will be lower even with a record quarter” or second half of 2019 won’t be as good.

Pure horse$*%#+. Seriously, folks... don’t be surprised by a massive bear raid the day after the sales figures are out. For all the longs out there, hold on and ride it out. It sucks that it is going to take longer because all of the market manipulation going on, but eventually it will be painfully obvious to even the forces trying to undermine the mission, that Tesla is not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Sooner or later the general public will realise the value of this dascam feature, and as far as I know, only Tesla has this built in by default. Just like Sentry mode catching thiefs and vandals, it raises awareness about Tesla.

In the US, the Cadillac CT6 comes standard with surround view recording since it uses them for its Super Cruise, just like Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: NicoV