Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the legacy automakers had their chance. they blew it. they blew it in the name of shareholders, quarterlies and 10k’s, big oil pressure (literally), dividends, short-sided boards, and golden parachutes.

all this talk about the mission and what’s best, blah blah. i get it. but...

screw them. all they are doing is biding their time and trying to wait for the others to die...they are in defense mode.

tesla is on the offensive. they’ve been on the offensive for 10+ years.

nobody else is.

i don’t give a damn who disagrees with me. and i don’t care if every automaker goes bust and suffering ensues. look at history. it’s sad. it’s painful. thats what sparks change.

they aren’t doing anyone any favors until they get serious. and none of them has the wherewith-all, the leverage over its board and shareholders, or the balls, to make a serious move, yet.

so no, not “hey, good for ford”.

let them implode.
tonight was just another charade, like the rest of them.

if that’s serious, then what is tesla?

on the one hand you think these dinosaurs get it. but do they? or is it just that they are victims of their own circumstance? they’re only able to roll out token gestures, trying to be part of the conversation. i’m supposed to believe that a combined couple 1000+ years of ingenuity amongst the top automakers is only able to yield the few scattered competitive products to tesla thus far? and that’s their best shot? if they were serious, and capable of executing a product roadmap without blowback, they’d be doing it.

if tonight is any indication, they continue to prove they’re toast.

i haven’t been in the “as long as there’s more ev’s, the better camp” in a while. and yes, i know the mission.

i don’t care anymore. i want tesla to win. i want them to...dominate. screw everyone else. they had their chance 40 years ago and they let us all down. now look at us. we’re the toast.

Wrong on most points.
Prismatic cells (or rather packaging) wont change those properties of the batteries. Other car makers are using NMC type cell material which is safer but more expensive. Tesla uses NCA which is cheaper, has slightly higher energy density but not as safe (lower thermal runaway temperature).
NMC lasts longer than NCA. So wrong on that point as well.
Unfortunately this shows you only have a surface knowledge of the topic. A battery pack is a system that’s safety and density characteristics are only partially defined by the chemistry. The packaging (including but not limited to the choice of cell housing) can make a NCA cell safer then a NMC cell packaged in a different manner.

In the end, real world statistics show Tesla is literally the safest sedan on the road , validating Tesla’s choices.

After watching today's event, I now realize that Tesla led by Elon really gives other auto maker no room to differentiate themselves, and will continue to pioneer everything while the rest copies from years behind.

Apple was a money milking machine. They developed what worked and sat on it for years milking the public. This gave other companies like Samsung or Huawei plenty of room to innovate to the point that Apple had to play catch up from simple copy and paste functions, to larger screens with multi-cameras.

Tesla on the other hand leaves zero room for others to innovate. Elon constantly just grant his twitter followers whatever good idea they come up with. Bet you can't do that with Ford or anyone else for that matters. You have a CEO who is determined to make your car the "most fun product you can buy". If there's a better way to do something, Elon would have done it yesterday. He will give you things you didn't even think you needed..in fact most complaints from every update are items people think are useless at first, but ends up can't live without.

Today was the first time ever I used regular summon out of my garage because I was carrying a baby in one hand and couldn't get him into our other car because the Tesla was parked too close. Just another feature I didn't think I ever needed until I needed it.

So I wish other company's luck. I am willing to bet every future revealing from any manufactures will seem like a Tesla knock-off. But they have to copy Tesla, or else people will complain "but it doesn't have this which a Tesla has". Sucks when you have old boomers as your boss and will take months just to get any new features approved. The alternative is just Elon tweeting back "okay".

What I hope is the new Mustang forces all car rental companies to start preparing for an EV fleet, then after a short study they would figure out the better option.

“If you choose not the prepay for your post-rental battery charge, make sure to bring it back with a full battery. Otherwise you’ll be charged $6 per kwh.”

So will rental companies avoid buying Tesla to delay Robotaxi network and their obsolescence? Or will they buy fleets of Model 3s and Ys as a hedge?

It has that big hood with a largish frunk but my experience is that most people use the frunk reservedly so I don't know if that space will be optimally utilized.

Most people are afraid of creasing a Tesla hood and/or don't want to fuss about using two palm method of closing the hood. You can slam an F-150 aluminum hood shut.

I heard them say some good sensible things but then I think I heard them say that the traditional ICE Mustang was never going away.

Someone yelled at Bill Ford if they were going to make an electric 2 door Mustang.

He said "Never say never"

Ford sells ~6M cars per year. IF they sell less than 100k ICE Mustangs per year to old nostalgic dudes and the rest BEVs in the not too distant future I am ok with that.

upload_2019-11-17_22-22-46.png

upload_2019-11-17_22-21-53.png

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Is an Ambitious Electric Crossover With a Muscle Car's Name

Wrong on most points.
Prismatic cells (or rather packaging) wont change those properties of the batteries. Other car makers are using NMC type cell material which is safer but more expensive. Tesla uses NCA which is cheaper, has slightly higher energy density but not as safe (lower thermal runaway temperature).
NMC lasts longer than NCA. So wrong on that point as well.
At purely the cell level, using generic NMC and NCA cells from some random battery supplier, in a figurative (not literal) vacuum, these points may be valid.

However, everyone else continues to struggle and/or give up developing the necessary surrounding methods and technologies to take advantage of the supposed NMC advantages, piling inefficiency on inefficiency (packaging, thermal, production, materials costs, etc) to come out far behind what Tesla can achieve with the "inferior" NCA batteries. And that is ignoring the advances in chemistry Tesla has achieved, which nullify most of those supposed NMC advantages on their own ...

If you compare the fully integrated Tesla battery system to any other battery system, for essentially any metric nobody surpasses Tesla (or if they do, it comes at a significant cost or compromise - whether it be more expensive subsystems, reduced longevity, etc).

In theory, if Tesla decided to apply everything they know to using NMC cells, they could make a "superior" (based on your claims) battery system, but having already achieved being able to go a million miles with NCA the "longer lasting" is moot, and as for safer, Tesla has thus far shown that engineering can "solve" the thermal runaway issue (even with some older vehicles having had fires they are far slower and less deadly than equivalent ICE fires, with nearly everyone walking away from accidents they shouldn't have in an ICE, so NMC lasting just a few degrees longer before self igniting is moot - in most cases, they would have still burned if they were NMC, and especially comparing prismatic cells to cylindrical the difference in effective cooling might make a NMC prismatic more problematic than NCA cylindrical)

Has TMC changed to FMC? All this obsession with Ford because they show a prototype for an EV hatchback. There wasn't this much activity about the equally ugly Bolt.

Anyone watching the 60 Minutes story on CBS about deep sea mining? Fascinating. No need to excavate Mars. Lots of Nickel, Manganese and Cobalt nodules just sitting on the seafloor. Will Elon get interested in deep sea diving next?
"Hey Unsworth, get picking up those nodules."

After watching today's event, I now realize that Tesla led by Elon really gives other auto maker no room to differentiate themselves, and will continue to pioneer everything while the rest copies from years behind.
Exactly, there's not much more you can do with an EV (without FSD) than the Model 3/Y. Tesla has perfected the EV on their 4th try.

Only thing that can defeat Tesla is a revolutionary new, better, easier-to-mfg, and cheaper battery. Very little likelihood of that happening.

NMC lasting just a few degrees longer before self igniting is moot - in most cases, they would have still burned if they were NMC, and especially comparing prismatic cells to cylindrical the difference in effective cooling might make a NMC prismatic more problematic than NCA cylindrical

Yeah, and the big disadvantage of prismatic cells is the lack of protection against swelling - which all cell chemistries are exposed to.

Cylindrical cells have strong protection against swelling, in form of a strong metallic, cylindrical casing.

Prismatic and pouch cells, not so much:

swelling-pouch-cell.jpg

Most non-Tesla car manufacturers are using pouch or prismatic cells not because it's superior, but because they don't know how to make battery packs with cylindrical cells economically.