Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are those sell orders for real? 111k and 157k volume...

upload_2019-10-10_18-38-35.png

24/7 self-sufficiency in most cases is just pure aspirational PR fluff I believe.
I don’t think many SC stations in the SF Bay Area, especially those that default to 80% charge, could go off-grid with the packs. From observation of SCs here, they’re usually ~50% utilized throughout daylight hours. With 10-16 stalls per station at an average 70kW for just half of those stalls, that’s pulling ~455kW at any given time. Imagine how many solar panels would be needed to provide that. Also, no space like that available on private property that Tesla does not own. Would the pack ever get recharged even?
At heavy usage Supercharger sites in and near urban areas, at least in the near term, there will likely always be some draw from the grid (when it's up). On-site solar generation would merely help to reduce grid usage and perhaps offset the energy that goes into the Powerpacks, for ITC (US Investment Tax Credit) purposes so that the Powerpacks can be considered part of the solar generating system and thus eligible for the ITC.

I like @KarenRei's thoughts about covering nearby businesses/parking with additional solar, though that seems like a couple of steps ahead of where Tesla is at today. It's interesting to think that Superchargers could strengthen the case for building micro-grids in some areas.

Seriously guys the price action today has nothing to do with Dyson or any other news......it was pretty clear what the stock was likely to do today based on the price action yesterday. It's happened so many times now that it's pretty easy to see the signs. We've literally had this exact 3 day price action multiple times...….some buying volumes come in for 2 days, on the 3rd day, mid day, volume dries up and the stock is walked back down throughout the day on minimal volume.....Next day? Stock underperforms the macros.

Btw, Ihor's need to look at his own charts and tell me again naked shorting isn't happening. The correlation between the amount of shorts covering and the stock action in his own chart does not add up......unless...... there's naked shorting happening on multiple days to cap the share price while other shorts exit their position. It's so.....damn.....obvious.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/cali...ryone-an-electric-car.NOTlinkingtoGarbage.com

"California's Power Outage Demonstrates the Biggest Flaw With Tesla's Plan to Sell Everyone an Electric Car"
LOLOLOL

This means electric cars will never be a truly viable alternative to internal combustion engines until someone figures out how to dramatically increase the reliability of our electrical grid. I'm not suggesting that gasoline is a better long term strategy, but outside of Tesla's most devoted fans, most people still find it's a far more reliable and convenient option.

Dyson abandons electric car project

Going forward, Dyson says his company will “concentrate on the formidable task of manufacturing solid-state batteries” as well as other “fundamental” technologies like vision systems, robotics, machine learning, and AI.

Dyson still wants to compete with Tesla. And Apple. But as a Tier 1 supplier to Automotive and Electronics firms.

Dyson seemed to be planning on using a solid state battery and was going to spend a billion pounds on R&D. From a 2018 article. Perhaps their battery isn't working out?

What is a solid-state battery and why is James Dyson so excited about it?
Dyson got conned in 2015 into buying Sakti3, a hype-heavy solid state cell developer. Sakti's founder left/was fired from Dyson in 2017 and they wrote the whole malinvestment off in 2018. My guess is they spent the last year looking at other miracle battery candidates before finally deciding not to throw good money after bad.

Galileo has a nice video up today on Hyperchange about his Nevada Giga tour.

There can now be little dispute that Tesla plans to vertically integrate cell production. If people still had doubts after Maxwell then Hibar settles the debate.

What has my interest piqued is what this means for Panasonic? Is Elon moving the bishop and rook into place so he can also pickup Pana’s US division on the cheap?

Or will the existing agreement continue as is, with Pana sweating its deployed capex and pump out 2170s for Model 3 (and 18650s for S&X out of Japan) for the foreseeable future but that’s it, with all further capacity in Nevada fully in-house?

I can’t think of another event in the next 6 months that would impact TSLA as much as a Pana US takeover (macro slide and black swans aside of course).

One gets the feeling that something major has for a while been keeping the Gigafactory’s footprint stuck where it is but come 2020 something has to give, if Tesla are to meet their ambitions on Semi, storage and Y.

Maybe this is related to Tesla raising 5 billions dollars that they didn’t need (half a year ago).

Reactions: SpaceCash
Was a huge supporter of unions at one time.

The auto sector unions have specifically gone on record now saying that their pocket is more important than possible futures for the Earth. Which makes them just like everyone else, and especially just like the employers and corporations they are negotiating with.

Way of the world I guess.

Yup, Society & it's Corporate entities are too often placing money over doing the right thing. Apple, Google and the NBA are front and center examples today re: China.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceCash