Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Elon has a 40 character tweet limit? How about some elaboration around what is false in this
If Elon spent even 30 seconds specifically counter-arguing all the false and incorrect assertions made about him & his companies, he'd get nothing done.

It's not Elon's job to provide granular corrections. If he calls out something as false, I give no credence to it in totality, and perhaps details will emerge elsewhere.

Finally found a picture of the first Supercharger, at Harris Ranch. Prototype unit, and you thought charger cables are short now!

View attachment 974857

View attachment 974858

More nostalgia... although I never used that one, I started following Tesla around the time that charger made it's appearance, and ordered my car as they were just showing up here on the East Coast....

It made me go look up the Supercharged Travels thread I created a decade ago during those "frontier" times... man time flies...

Wish they had this on my last two Hertz rentals.
<Rant Start>
I literally have a Hertz rental out of Tampa now. They never mentioned the scan code, it’s hit and miss according to their desk worker, suggest I “turn it off then on again”. Most had no clue. Spent an hour trying setup. v11.1 software.

Tire pressure was 36-41 range, and dirty with dents and chips in several spots. Not a good look for Hertz. Guy at exit gate says my tires are fine visually. Wow. 21k mi on this vehicle.
<Rant end>

No FSD after using for years is dangerous. Saved me on 3 rear end close calls so far. Cruise helps but not used to it. Day 3 - getting used to keeping in lane now.

Seriously, give FDS to everyone for free. Sell it like its a drug. Withdrawals are nasty!

“Utterly false” implies no truth whatsoever. No elaboration needed.
If he had merely said “false” with no further elaboration then one could wonder what exactly was false.
You need to have a whole other type of appreciation for writing articles that contain not a single shred of truth, that's quite remarkable!

A Saudi factory has, in fact, not been secured

Reactions: navguy12
<Rant Start>
I literally have a Hertz rental out of Tampa now. They never mentioned the scan code, it’s hit and miss according to their desk worker, suggest I “turn it off then on again”. Most had no clue. Spent an hour trying setup. v11.1 software.

Tire pressure was 36-41 range, and dirty with dents and chips in several spots. Not a good look for Hertz. Guy at exit gate says my tires are fine visually. Wow. 21k mi on this vehicle.
<Rant end>

No FSD after using for years is dangerous. Saved me on 3 rear end close calls so far. Cruise helps but not used to it. Day 3 - getting used to keeping in lane now.

Seriously, give FDS to everyone for free. Sell it like its a drug. Withdrawals are nasty!
Life as a rental car is hard. I bet many Tesla cars stay near their local station instead of one way trips to Florida like most cars ( notice how many rental cars have Florida plates). If you don't own a Tesla renting one is a challenge. Hertz knows this and sends you a primer via email when renting a Tesla. Many first timers intentionally rent Teslas for their first experience to the brand......."Where is carplay?"..........." how do I adjust the mirrors?"................"ok, I am at the supercharger, where do I put my credit card?"..............Questions many here take for granted, to a new driver? Chaos.................. A tip, prepay the $35 recharge fee, when rushing to catch a flight, one less thing to worry about.

Reactions: GOVA and SOULPEDL
View attachment 975130
TSLA chart above

In my mind, Monday was a pretty obvious bear raid... OTOH, you can see the very determined mandatory morning dip that was energized right after market open.

Another fingerprint of the manipulators is that the MMD began BEFORE 9:30 a.m. in the final few minutes of the Opening Cross. Here's a screenie taken at that time, showing a $2 drop in the final moments of the Pre-market yesteday: (an Organized bear-raid)

TSLA.2023-09-18.09-30.png

Indeed, this is Organized crime. White-collar, but crime none-the-less... ;)

Cheers!

Got to cheer every good article we get out there, as well as jeer the bad ones. This one asks (yet again) "Are electric cars really better for the environment?"

TL;DR favorite quotes: (my emphasis added)
Oil extraction dwarfs mining

To compare EVs with conventional vehicles, first we need to look at how much stuff we pull out of the ground to make and fuel them.

Mining minerals for the clean-energy economy is measured in millions of tons per year. For fossil fuel extraction, that’s a rounding error.

About EV battery mineral mining:
These environmental and social problems are real. But compared to the track record of the oil, gas and coal industry, they are a drop in the barrel.

Overall conclusion:
“The transition to low-carbon fuels is not a magic bullet with no negative outcome, says Sergey Paltsev, a senior research scientist at MIT. “There is no free lunch. But it’s much less harmful than if we stay with fossil fuels. That’s the conclusion.”
Apparently this is NOT paywalled for once - and a pretty fair read. Hard to find these days, particularly in WaPo, but there you have it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/09/19/electric-cars-better-environment-fossil-fuels/

<Rant Start>

<Rant end>

Bad tire pressure is common for rentals.

Life as a rental car is hard. I bet many Tesla cars stay near their local station instead of one way trips to Florida like most cars ( notice how many rental cars have Florida plates). If you don't own a Tesla renting one is a challenge. Hertz knows this and sends you a primer via email when renting a Tesla.
A tip, prepay the $35 recharge fee, when rushing to catch a flight, one less thing to worry about.

That recharge fee is daylight robbery.
It’s $35 if the battery is under 80%.
I get they are trying to discourage customers from returning cars that need charging but still.

Fresh UAW warning below. The next "standup" event will occur this Friday if "serious progress is not made by then".

Shawn Fain's "Standup" strategy seems smart (and I empathize with them, it wasn't fair), but I see it dragging out and then backfire.

As I understand it, the Union pays an employee $500 per week if asked to Stand. But since it's targeted and paced out like death of a thousand cuts, the amount of time they can afford to cause pain is increased dramatically (as compared to an all out strike in past times). Problem is, past profits are not a good indicator for future profits as the EV squeeze continues. So it's quite possible Auto can't pay to match expectations based on the past.

Today's "Standup" at Ford triggered an immediate 600 employee layoff at Ford's same facility. If this trend continues, I see auto riding out the losses in production while cutting out lower tech skills in parallel. But I wonder, are there sufficient replacement workers available to backfill? If so, could they eventually eliminate Union workers? This might be nearly impossible, IDK.

If workers see everyone fired with every standup event, eventually some may decide to remain seated and break the line, but only after a bloody battle. With all factory procedures well documented (ISO 9002), replacement may be possible, if not the only choice for Auto.

OTOH, should auto settle anywhere close to the current demands, they'd be doomed that much faster, would not be able to afford to increase EV research, and all jobs would be lost. This could accelerate the transition to EVs as ICE sticker price would continue to rise. Oh, this will get ugly in slow motion. I'm even hearing how the workers are blaming their problems because Auto is "wasting" money on EVs. This is so detached from reality with comments like that.

And guarantees for the Engine Dept to keep their jobs??? I'm sorry, the rest of the world doesn't work like that. NO JOB IS GUARANTEED! Especially with the automation we see coming.
I see this strike as another sign of the total incompetence of management of the big three, especially Mary Barra. Totally short sighted as to transition to EV but also to their own compensation. Management Is accepting pay increases of 30%-40%. The difference of pay between management and ordinary workers has become totally out of whack. They really shouldn’t have been surprised about this pay increase demand.

Fresh UAW warning below. The next "standup" event will occur this Friday if "serious progress is not made by then".

Shawn Fain's "Standup" strategy seems smart (and I empathize with them, it wasn't fair), but I see it dragging out and then backfire.

As I understand it, the Union pays an employee $500 per week if asked to Stand. But since it's targeted and paced out like death of a thousand cuts, the amount of time they can afford to cause pain is increased dramatically (as compared to an all out strike in past times). Problem is, past profits are not a good indicator for future profits as the EV squeeze continues. So it's quite possible Auto can't pay to match expectations based on the past.

Today's "Standup" at Ford triggered an immediate 600 employee layoff at Ford's same facility. If this trend continues, I see auto riding out the losses in production while cutting out lower tech skills in parallel. But I wonder, are there sufficient replacement workers available to backfill? If so, could they eventually eliminate Union workers? This might be nearly impossible, IDK.

If workers see everyone fired with every standup event, eventually some may decide to remain seated and break the line, but only after a bloody battle. With all factory procedures well documented (ISO 9002), replacement may be possible, if not the only choice for Auto.

OTOH, should auto settle anywhere close to the current demands, they'd be doomed that much faster, would not be able to afford to increase EV research, and all jobs would be lost. This could accelerate the transition to EVs as ICE sticker price would continue to rise. Oh, this will get ugly in slow motion. I'm even hearing how the workers are blaming their problems because Auto is "wasting" money on EVs. This is so detached from reality with comments like that.

And guarantees for the Engine Dept to keep their jobs??? I'm sorry, the rest of the world doesn't work like that. NO JOB IS GUARANTEED! Especially with the automation we see coming.
Thanks for posting the video and your analysis.

One thing that struck me was the (propaganda) poster, in the background behind the speakers right shoulder, mentioning dealing with automation.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
I see this strike as another sign of the total incompetence of management of the big three, especially Mary Barra. Totally short sighted as to transition to EV but also to their own compensation. Management Is accepting pay increases of 30%-40%. The difference of pay between management and ordinary workers has become totally out of whack. They really shouldn’t have been surprised about this pay increase demand.
They are professional managers. Translation: They do what's best for themselves.